MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I'm in need of a new instrument cluster for my spyder. My speedo is off by about 20mph and the needle will no longer go past the 70mph mark, the tach is off by about 2000rpm, and my fuel gauge won't go past a 1/2 tank.

I dropped my car off to get the 150,000 mile maintainence done, and also asked them to check out the instrument cluster. They just called me, and said that it was an internal problem, and that the entire cluster needs to be replaced. They want $700 for a new cluster, and $300 to install it.

My question is how difficult would it be for me to do it myself? I know 1zz instrument clusters pop up in private sales from time to time on here, so I was thinking I might just try and pick one of those up and do it myself. I'm not a master mechanic by any means, but I'm not completely inept either. You guys think this is something I could take on myself?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Not a big deal.. There is a write up on how to change out the Lights.. what you will be doing is LESS work than that..

Now when you get the Car Smogged, you will have to check the Little box that says the Spedo has been Changed.. as the State of CA, and Car Fax will get Pissy, if the ODO readings are Wrong..

Cap

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have a very simple solution for you and it doesn't involve a new instrument cluster. In a lot of cases with a high mileage car and electronic speedometer, sometimes the solder joints are bad. Plus, components like capacitors can go bad over time. Generally, these parts and repairs can be done vs replacing the whole cluster. I had an issue with the speedometer in my 300ZX, and since the car isn't made anymore and neither is the speedometer, replacement wasn't an option. What I did was send the speedometer to
DNA speedometer in Tampa Florida and they made it like new again (for $139 flat fee for the speedometer). I don't have any affiliation with them, but had a very good experience in using them. Here's the website:

http://www.dnaspeedometers.com/

Call them and see if they can help you. They likely can.

Good luck!

By the way, as stated above, removal of the cluster is stupid easy. Look up a DIY on this site and take it out yourself.

Actually, here's the DIY:

http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/...-mr2-spyder-gauge-cluster-disassembly-how-to/

·
Registered
131 Posts
What year is your car? I Have a 00-02 jdm cluster, $75 shipped. Only reads km though. Works perfect, less than 5 min to replace, 3 screws and plugs, bing, bang, boom, done. Hell $60.00 shipped as I have a '05 now, slight diff. in clusters.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I have a very simple solution for you and it doesn't involve a new instrument cluster. In a lot of cases with a high mileage car and electronic speedometer, sometimes the solder joints are bad. Plus, components like capacitors can go bad over time. Generally, these parts and repairs can be done vs replacing the whole cluster. I had an issue with the speedometer in my 300ZX, and since the car isn't made anymore and neither is the speedometer, replacement wasn't an option. What I did was send the speedometer to
DNA speedometer in Tampa Florida and they made it like new again (for $139 flat fee for the speedometer). I don't have any affiliation with them, but had a very good experience in using them. Here's the website:

http://www.dnaspeedometers.com/

Call them and see if they can help you. They likely can.

Good luck!

By the way, as stated above, removal of the cluster is stupid easy. Look up a DIY on this site and take it out yourself.

Actually, here's the DIY:

http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/...-mr2-spyder-gauge-cluster-disassembly-how-to/
I concur, it does sound like a capacitor problem. And it looks like you just got a great hookup.
The gauge cluster install is so easy I can do it with my eyes blind folded and someone giving me a charlie horse at random intervals.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sold to YOU!:cool: EXILE

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know, some of these dealers are crazy, what's really crazy is some people prolly have paid this much. I would install this for 3 cents .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow!

Dueceman's cluster got here first thing this morning (thanks again for getting it shipped out so quickly!). And like all of you said, it took all of 10 minutes to install it. I can't believe they'd charge $300.00 to do that!?!?

But bottom line, it's in and working perfectly! Now I just have to get used to kph instead of mph...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad to hear! I'm happy to help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.