Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit . . .

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Put your flame suit on.
If you needed additional gauges, you'd know which ones.
Conversly, if you simply want more gauges, you have to manufacture a need.
Many SpyderChat members will object to that approach; especially those who know the answer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Edit . . .

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Edit . . .

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Main gauges to get are Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Water Temp for a NA 1zz.

EDIT: if not tracking, you can substitute Voltage for Oil Temp.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I have gauges and they are useless for a daily driver. As old man pointed out you get what you need if you think its going to help. Once you see the abnormality on the gauge it's probably too late anyway on these modern aluminum engines.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Edit . . .

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I asked for advice, preferably constructive. If you can't give any, you don't have to spend your time bothering with a response. I'm sure you can find more productive things to do with your time.
I have been very careful to be nothing but constructive.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oil Pressure : we only have an idiot light. Once it's on engine is toast. So somehow being able to keep an eye on that you may get some piece of mind.
Oil Temp: it's scary how hot your oil can get. If you ever track the car it's a must to keep an eye on this. If any thing it will let you know when the engine is warm enough to have some fun.
To make the oil gauges work you will need atleast a sandwich plate. Be very careful in the install of this part. A bad install can lead to a noticable oil leak. Not a part to be cheap on.
AFR: now this is very subjective and will require a bit of work to install. You will have to have an additional O2 sensor bung in your exhaust. I've found out rather annoyingly that the CHE DP does not have said bung. The payoff, once you learn how to read the ratios it acts as a heart beat of the engine. Letting you know how well it's running. Very important if you ever intend on adding a turbo.

Voltage/Water temp well kinda have stock gauges for that. Water temp doesn't change much +- 20 or so degrees when up to temp. Voltage we got an idiot light for that and if you replace your batteries regularly should not have issues.

It's your money so spend it however you see fit. Enjoy your car in good health and have fun with the modding process. Just cause it's a DD doesn't mean it has to be stock, boring, or just like everyone else. Good luck.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I asked for advice, preferably constructive. If you can't give any, you don't have to spend your time bothering with a response. I'm sure you can find more productive things to do with your time.

Thanks for the reply, cosmin.
Matter of fact is, you're not being very constructive by opening this useless thread. If you can't even remotely acknowledge the fact that you're putting on gauges for your own entertainment, you shouldn't be on internet at all. If you're not tracking the car, you don't need gauges. If you're not tuning your car, you don't need gauges.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Matter of fact is, you're not being very constructive by opening this useless thread. If you can't even remotely acknowledge the fact that you're putting on gauges for your own entertainment, you shouldn't be on internet at all. If you're not tracking the car, you don't need gauges. If you're not tuning your car, you don't need gauges.
+1 to that. Like I said I have gauges but I have come to realize its rice for the street.
You don't need no stinking gauges.

The irony is those with gauges are the type that abuse their car and ruined their engine anyway because they haven't figured out how to address such things like oiling issues and proper maintenance. All gauges will do is let you watch your engine turn into a pile of junk.

Gauges for the street are for hacks that want to pretend they live dangerously.

·
Banned
415 Posts
+1 to that. Like I said I have gauges but I have come to realize its rice for the street.
You don't need no stinking gauges.

The irony is those with gauges are the type that abuse their car and ruined their engine anyway because they haven't figured out how to address such things like oiling issues and proper maintenance. All gauges will do is let you watch your engine turn into a pile of junk.

Gauges for the street are for hacks that want to pretend they live dangerously.
I have gauges. They are for show. Rarely, they'll be of any help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Edit . . .

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Don't be an ass with an attitude. Keep to your own advice, don't read responses that you don't like, ignore the rest. Yes, you don't need negative responses, and we don't need people telling us that we shouldn't give them. The same side of the flippin' coin.

And on subject, oil pressure is the most important one, hey, it was standard on the (Non-Usa) MK1 MR2. If I think the engine is noisier then normal, I check it, and if it's down a bit, I know it's time to refill..

My second one would be oil temperature.

We've already got water temperature (and that needle doesn't move when on temperature). Voltage will not help you with anything. These are only neccessary to fill up the holes in the 3-pod pillars.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You can't win, it will never happen, I already tried...

I suggest Oil Pressure/ Oil Temp/ AFR for my taste and perferably will spend the money on the AEM Uego setup to make it look nice. But not until I get the. Funds to support my modditis.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I have gauges. They are for show. Rarely, they'll be of any help.
I say it's good for just being academic and learning about normal and abnormal dynamics of the engine.
That is the reason why I have them. I have come to realize that with these computer controlled systems and the modernization of engines they pretty much keep the car running at peak performance for which you really don't need anything more then idiot gauges however there is always human error in design and some things should be monitored but better yet they really need to be addressed mechanically.

When things like the water temps reach a threshold it is like an on off switch anyway and with these aluminum engines it's either fine or toast in a matter of minutes. When I say this I am specifically addressing this car in particular and primarily for street driving.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Dev, I would have thought you would act a bit more professionally and not result to calling me a 'hack who wants to live dangerously.' Not a smart business move.
I don't need to "act" more "professionally" .
I did not call you a hack.
Not a smart business move is none of your business.
I am an enthusiast first that speaks form the heart, not a sell out for the business and my core customers expect that from me and even if they don't agree with me they understand that it's an opinion and nothing personal. I don't post for sales that would be dishonest.
This is nothing more then a discussion and anyone can add their two cents for the very reason that it's not your thread to dictate the terms of how you want your responses.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts