MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to have Hardtop shells be made here in the US. It is a larger invest that I don't really plan on under taking unless there is a lot of interest.

I would like to offer these as bare shells with a plexiglass rear window. You can use the stock hardware or make your own. The soft top weather stripping would fit.

These would be much better quality than the crappy chinese made stuff sold by VIS. These tops will be very high quality.

These would not be DOT approved for road use just like the stock Toyota hardtop so use your own judgement and decide if you want to use them on public highways.

$1200-1500 fiberglass

$2000-2800 Carbonfiber

Price is based on how many we can get to commit.

It will cost me over $3000 for a mold+ having to take apart a good $2500 stock top.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm in. Pm'd

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
As with lots of ideas, especially hardtops, there has always been a lot of interest. I think however the only real way to find out is to do it, once the money is needed it's too expensive to some. I've already got a top so I'm not in but I wish you luck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I need think you need a prototype for a demo. I maybe interested, but need to see it first. Once you have one, take lots of pictures and put the pictures up here. Then, you'll find out more on the interest. I know it's very expensive to start one, but that's what you need to start a product. IMHO.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would be interested also but I think most people will want a complete set up rather than piece items together. I would try to budget a fiberglass "kit" around $1800, at least under $2000 to be competitive with OEM. I'm just throwing numbers around and don't know the actual cost to you.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
I think you know I'm in the market.
I'm planning on purchasing a hardtop after receiving 2012 tax year refund. Do you expect to begin production by then?

My requirements for a hard top is that it must be:
1: OEM style in shape and profile. For racing rules and regs. I believe the window can be square instead of the OEM shape. You were planning on that, right?
2. Around the same weight as the VIS. I recall the VIS with lexan rear glass coming in at 20 lbs.

Will it use the same mounting hardware as existing tops?
Do you need a test fitter? :lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
You'd get a lot of interest for it, I've already got mine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Based on the scarcity and cost of the OEM hardtops, I expect you can sell as many as you can make at those prices, though I concur with others that you'd find them easier to sell if you included a mounting kit. I already have an OEM top, but I'd likely be interested in the carbon top, depending on weight, window, etc.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Biggest window possible is encouraged.

If you're looking for a company that might be able to mold them, a local racer here owns a Molding shop. You have my email, let me know if you would like me to connect you two.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.