MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update June 2021:

All my convex mirrors are sold.
I see that Kamispeed.com in Orlando Fl still sells some from Japan. ($147 plus shipping)
They are 600mm radius, which is tighter than the ones I had made for us (1050mm R). They will have a larger field-of-view at the expense of more distortion. Somebody needs to buy a pair and report how they work!

=======

Description:
These mirrors are full-size replacement side mirrors (the glass part only) that help with the blind spots on both sides of the car. They have constant curvature so there’s no quirky distortion. The field-of-view is greater than factory passenger-side mirrors (due to a tighter curvature). They are blue tinted to minimize glare at night. The tint is not noticeable or ricer in my opinion. It is more equivalent to a factory tinted windshield. You can get a feel for the tint in the pictures below. These mirrors are manufactured in USA using German manufactured glass stock. The blue tint convex are their highest quality mirrors.

Use:
These mirrors allow you to quickly check for cars in your blind spot. I have tried the small stick-on convex mirrors and they cause problems. With small stick-on mirrors you must focus your eyes to look in the flat (original mirror), then change your focus again to look into the stick-on mirror. Small mirrors usually have a very tight convex radius which causes lots of distortion – plus they look crappy on the car. With these full-size mirrors you only have one focal distance. I use the factory windshield mounted center-mirror (flat mirror) to watch for traffic that is 10 yards or more behind me, and the convex side mirrors for closer traffic and changing lanes.

This is one of those mods that you will get accustomed to and forget - but if you ever jump in another spyder that has flat glass, you will be shocked at what you're missing. These are in my "must have" list of mods. The 30 guys below may chime in since they have had their mirrors for over a year now ( from the first group buy).

Installation:
These mirrors will match the size (profile) of the original mirrors, but since they’re convex the middle of the glass curves out. You can either stick them onto the surface of your factory mirror using double-sided “foam tape” which is included; or remove the factory mirror and install the convex glass into the factory plastic frame. I’d rate the difficulty of foam tape installation at (1), and replacing the glass in the factory frame at a (3) out of 10.

To do the “replace glass” method, you need to get the plastic backing frame out of your mirror housing. It takes a flathead screwdriver and a little patience. Motor the mirror to the full-up position. Look from below and release the plastic tabs to free the mirror. The bottom snaps into place, and the top of the mirror frame hinges up. There is some gooey white adhesive that you must pry loose (some cars have this on driver's side only). Mine came off by just working slowly with a screwdriver. To reinstall, hook the hinge and snap the tabs back into their slots.

Installation procedure - with pictures here...link

Payment:
I have them all boxed up and ready to ship out so I can ship them out the same day you send me PayPal. Send me a PM order a pair.

Disclaimer:
I can’t answer for laws regarding use of these on the road. Check your local laws before installing them.

Sample pix with cars parked one lane apart...

(CONVEX mirror is the top picture - flat mirror is the lower picture)

Sample pix with cars parked two lanes apart...

(CONVEX mirror is the top picture - flat mirror is the lower picture

"Objects are closer..." text etched on the bottom of L&R mirrors...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2014 Group Buy:
1. MikeV - shipped 3 Dec 2014
2. Xavierandrade - shipped 3 Dec 2014
3. Fast1one - shipped 4 Dec 2014
4. DaniYo - shipped 2 Dec 2014
5. Drummerdawg
6. JayL - shipped 2 Dec 2014
7. Burgan - shipped 2 Dec 2014
8. Imadtoast - shipped 3 Dec 2014
9. rwheelz - shipped 5 Dec 2014
10. Ctkizer - shipped 2 Dec 2014

=====
Historical record:
2013 Group Buy
1. zerahvoid -........Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
2. pelinors714........Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
3. junkinthefrunk....Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
4. junkinthefrunk....Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
5. rortizo...............Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
6. butch_mr2.........Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
7. melloyello.........Paid - Shipped Sun 7-21
8. ydwheels..........Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
9. cyclehead..........me
10. tmhuud...........Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
11. tuckeragain......Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
12. bootzwiddafur..Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
13. dogghouse.......Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
14. wildcard...........Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
15. u8a.................Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
16. razir66............Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
17. booggs1..........Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
18. srw.................Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
19. vin..................Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
20. mr-s_jeff.........Paid - Shipped Sun 7-21
21. maverick23......Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
22. superwhitegt4..Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
23. Vegaspyder......Paid - Shipped Wed 7-24
24. Megatron.........Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
25. The_tango.......Paid - Shipped Fri 7-19
26. Bryon s. Bailey..Paid - Shipped Mon 7-22
27. tooloko............Paid - Shipped Fri 7-26
28. sonar..............Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20
29. Hot spyder.......Paid - Shipped Sat 7-20

·
Registered
258 Posts
Planning to ship them primer'd?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Sign me up!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Will most likely be in for two pair.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Interested

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have a set on my car and love them.Due to the shape of the mirrors there is a little gap where they attach over the stock mirror.Not a big deal to me but to some it's worth mentioning.I just wish it replaced the OEM mirror instead.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wow, I feel like a dope. I just did minimal research online to find 'proper' mirror placement to avoid blindspots. It will take some getting used to as I'm used to seeing the side of my car in the side mirrors, but it definitely makes sense not to. Thanks for the heads up.

Just some useful info. Proper mirror adjustment WILL eliminate all blind spots on your Spyder.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Once the are adjusted and verified, you will get used to quick lane changes. And I do mean quick!

When adjusted properly you will loose sight of the vehicle in your rearview mirror only to be picked up in your side mirror. No vehicle in either mirror,in that scenario, the you should be able to change lanes

·
Registered
593 Posts
I already have these. Anyone on the fence just get them. I used to have to lean forward then back again to rake in the blind spot. Now - no problems at all. I put them in place of the OEMS and glad I did. Put me down for a backup set please.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts