MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This group buy is ongoing. Continue reading if you are interested.

As seen in my Private Sales thread, I've been talked into having a group buy for a set of vinyl inserts for your doors. You may have your inserts in any style and color upholstery material that is suitable for embroidery you would like from the Web site garysupholstery.com. You may have your J-Spec eagle embroidered in any one color thread you choose (see note #10 below). I'll be happy to include the cord supplies I used to install mine if you don't want to hunt these down yourself; you just pay whatever I pay for them.

See the Private Sales thread for photos of the entire process, as well as my personal instructions, which you can follow if you so choose. Below is a photo of my custom product installed on my own car (click for full-size).

Important notes
1. I take no responsibility for poor material color choices. What you choose is what you get. Order samples if you want it to be just right.
2. Orders are taken for at least three people at a time to meet the minimum embroidery quantity.
3. Final cost is determined for you before any orders are began.
4. Payment is required via PayPal from all buyers before the group buy can be started.
5. Estimated finishing time from order placement to final product delivery is two weeks in the States.
6. Estimated total cost based on several varying factors (some are your own choice) is $65.00 to $90.00.
7. Material types that have been confirmed as good types are Levanté and Nauga-Soft.
8. If you have a preference in material that is not available on garysupholstery.com, you may have it shipped to me instead of routing a material order through me.
9. Shipment is via UPS Ground.
10. Thread colors must be generalized due to a limited selection of thread. Close matches have been confirmed for black (202), red (3P0), and white (040). Sets have been produced for '00-'02 silver (1D0) and I have not heard any complaints about the match.

Please post questions here or feel free to PM me if you want. Also, discuss among yourselves possible matching colors. The more of you that agree on a particular type of material, the lower the cost will be for everyone. I encourage communication because of the personalized nature and requirements of this job.

Once at least three people have agreed to order, you may place your order by PM'ing me the following:
1. Your first and last name
2. A shipping address that can receive UPS shipments
3. The product ID/number of your choice of material from garysupholstery.com (e.g. "PR 34" or "316893"), or indicate that you'll be shipping your own
4. The color thread you would like
5. Whether or not you would like me to include the leather cord, or equivalent, that I used for the initial tuck. If you do not intend to follow the installation method I chose (the "tucking" method), this is entirely optional. If you do intend to use the tucking method, it is recommended.
6. Whether or not you would like me to include the screen spline I used. Some people don't like it. I think it looks ok.

I will reply with your total cost, my PayPal e-mail address, and, if applicable, my mailing address.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paul price @ Aug 1 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
money sent! thanks bro.
[/b]
Paul, what material did you go with? People in the black vinyl market should try and choose the same material to lower cost all around.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 1 2007, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paul price @ Aug 1 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
money sent! thanks bro.
[/b]
Paul, what material did you go with? People in the black vinyl market should try and choose the same material to lower cost all around.
[/b][/quote]

Paul chose the black Levanté (the same type of material I chose) from this page. The material tucks well, stretches fairly well, has a very slightly-textured surface which you can only see up close, and is fine for embroidery. It has the fuzzy backing, which would probably make things difficult for those who want to glue this stuff. I'd recommend Levanté just from my experience with it, though there may be better options for you depending on your installation methods.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I decided I might as well go ahead and try to do silver inserts while I'm going to the trouble. Just requested some samples, hopefully they can get here before the 12th.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 2 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I decided I might as well go ahead and try to do silver inserts while I'm going to the trouble. Just requested some samples, hopefully they can get here before the 12th.[/b]
You should be able to receive your samples long before the 12th. When you do receive them, please post your findings here for everybody else to see. Silver is going to be a hard color to match. I asked serinaj10 to post her findings, too. Hopefully she will as soon as she gets her car back.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Aug 2 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 2 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I decided I might as well go ahead and try to do silver inserts while I'm going to the trouble. Just requested some samples, hopefully they can get here before the 12th.[/b]
You should be able to receive your samples long before the 12th. When you do receive them, please post your findings here for everybody else to see. Silver is going to be a hard color to match. I asked serinaj10 to post her findings, too. Hopefully she will as soon as she gets her car back.
[/b][/quote]
I tried to get a good variety from light to dark, hopefully one will be close enough. I'll be sure to post a few, in case someone else wants to get in with me and combine our orders on a yard or two.

I went with..

Colorguard 2000 Boltaflex
Pumice-363741
Lite Gray- 363780

Levante` Boltaflex
Haze Gray-385653

Nauga Soft Naugahyde
Feather- PR 37

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Aug 1 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 1 2007, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paul price @ Aug 1 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
money sent! thanks bro.
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Paul chose the black Levanté (the same type of material I chose) from this page. The material tucks well, stretches fairly well, has a very slightly-textured surface which you can only see up close, and is fine for embroidery. It has the fuzzy backing, which would probably make things difficult for those who want to glue this stuff. I'd recommend Levanté just from my experience with it, though there may be better options for you depending on your installation methods.
[/b][/quote]

what he said.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 2 2007, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Aug 2 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 2 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
I tried to get a good variety from light to dark, hopefully one will be close enough. I'll be sure to post a few, in case someone else wants to get in with me and combine our orders on a yard or two.

I went with..

Colorguard 2000 Boltaflex
Pumice-363741
Lite Gray- 363780

Levante` Boltaflex
Haze Gray-385653

Nauga Soft Naugahyde
Feather- PR 37
[/b][/quote]

This is serinaj10's post including pictures of her samples. She said she'll probably choose the material ALU 300, called "Silver." She also said she was after the silver/chrome look and not just gray. Some of hers do look gray, though. You didn't order the sample that she likes, but you did choose a few that she didn't choose, so we should be able to compare a little better.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
glad you are also ordering samples. my arrived within 2 days of my request--very quickly!! i think i will most likely go with the ALU 300 silver because it is more of a shiny silver look. this will probably match my aluminum dash inserts as soon as they are finished from production! i am getting my car back today and will more than likely have an answer by this weekend.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
someone please do a detailed install guide -as id like to see-wont be purchasing this time round as im out of work for 2 months-

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fifajay @ Aug 3 2007, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
someone please do a detailed install guide -as id like to see-wont be purchasing this time round as im out of work for 2 months-[/b]
My installation method was detailed across all five pages of the Private Sales thread, which includes pictures. It all really is pretty straight forward. It wasn't very difficult, just time-consuming. Also, I don't know how likely a second round will be for these. I'll be up for it if there ends up being enough interest.

Here's my final picture (click for full-size). Sorry about the grainy effect, it was dark and I had to Photoshop it to brighten it.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
well, got my car back and i think the ALU 300 silver will look the best with the chrome interior accents if anyone else wants to go that route? here are a few pics:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (serinaj10 @ Aug 4 2007, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well, got my car back and i think the ALU 300 silver will look the best with the chrome interior accents if anyone else wants to go that route? here are a few pics:

[/b]
You could always find some spray paint to match the vinyl...at least for the handles. Everything else is the shiny chrome stuff.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
After seeing yours and the spydermagazine install how-to's, I'm wondering if it's even necessary to remove the door panel at all? Seems like just taking off the door handle trim would be enough to do the job just fine. Is this correct?

And.. I was thinking that because the armrest is so easy to remove, would that be easily upholstered as well? If no one else went in on the yard with me, is it possible I could have the two peices for the upper door pre-cut as we've been planning, but also recieve the leftover scraps so I can try and upholster the armrests as well to match? Or is this a bad idea or not possible?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (serinaj10 @ Aug 4 2007, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well, got my car back and i think the ALU 300 silver will look the best with the chrome interior accents if anyone else wants to go that route? here are a few pics:[/b]
That's an amazing idea Serina! Post pics after your install - I'd like to see how this goes..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 7 2007, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
After seeing yours and the spydermagazine install how-to's, I'm wondering if it's even necessary to remove the door panel at all? Seems like just taking off the door handle trim would be enough to do the job just fine. Is this correct?

And.. I was thinking that because the armrest is so easy to remove, would that be easily upholstered as well? If no one else went in on the yard with me, is it possible I could have the two peices for the upper door pre-cut as we've been planning, but also recieve the leftover scraps so I can try and upholster the armrests as well to match? Or is this a bad idea or not possible?[/b]
I've been thinking the same idea as well re: not removing the door panel. I need to look at the Spydermagazine article again, but I think the only issue is it becomes a PIA to lay it out evenly when vertical.

As for the armrest, you'll need to get foam padding as well underneath the upholster material.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Having done a vinyl overlay once before (pix here), I'd recommend taking the door panel off. It's just SO much easier to get everything laid out square and smooth that way. In particular, I found that I needed a piece of wood behind the door panel to give enough support to tuck the vinyl edges in tightly. Without that support, the door panel flexes a great deal, making it really tough to get the vinyl and the cording pressed in far enough to hold. The trick is finding the clips that hold the door handle garnish in place. They are directly above and below the pivot point for the lock. You use a small screwdriver to get underneath the garnish and it'll pop right loose.

On the topic of armrests, I did that recently. Used the Incurio article in the library (Incurio's D.I.Y. - Padded Door Panel Armrests), and made some improvements (I think) to the process. I even created a template for the vinyl piece; it turns out that it's tricky to cut and line up all the notches and slits needed to get the vinyl to lay out smoothly over the padding and wrap behind. If anyone's interested, I'll do a quick write-up and include the template.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I second that. It be wouldn't nearly as bad if there wasn't a logo to be placed just perfectly. I'm not saying it's impossible; you'd have to figure out a way to position the material, get it set by taping it to the door or something, tuck it all without moving it, cut the excess cleanly, hide the nasty edge in whatever way you see fit, all while hunched over the door for the better part of an hour or so. Trust me, for what little trouble it is to take off the door panel - and it is a small price to pay - it's worth it to sit comfortably in your home while you do this. Besides, you'll likely decide it's not aligned just right or it's too far left or too far right after you finish most of your first tuck, and then you'll have to redo it. I tucked the vinyl on the passenger side two and a half times (wrinkles on the second round) and twice on the driver side.

TxDreamer53 is right about the door handle garnish. It locks into place above and below the pivoting point for the lock switch and all you need to do is push the top side down and the bottom side up to release it. It look me forever to figure that out and my fingers hurt for a while afterward. I actually put a crack in the passenger side garnish trying to pry it loose.

Also, I didn't place anything under the door panel while I was tucking, but it certainly would be helpful. I didn't think it was that much of a problem to deal with. You'll find little things about the installation you'll do certain ways that others don't do.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midshipman01 @ Aug 7 2007, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

And.. I was thinking that because the armrest is so easy to remove, would that be easily upholstered as well? If no one else went in on the yard with me, is it possible I could have the two peices for the upper door pre-cut as we've been planning, but also recieve the leftover scraps so I can try and upholster the armrests as well to match? Or is this a bad idea or not possible?[/b]
Each yard of material will provide four pieces of vinyl for our inserts with some left over. If you want some excess, you can have it because it will be useless for anything else.

To everyone else: if you're the only person to order your type of vinyl, you'll get the rest of it, anyway. You could make a couple of plain inserts out of it or something like that.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts