500 series total cost: $1375 with FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 states
510 series total cost: $2095 with FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 states
Who: 5 Members total

Group buy 2.5:
500 series total cost: $1225 w/ FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 states
510 series total cost: $1945 w/ FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 states
Who: 30 Members total

Delivery: I expect 3-6 weeks(normally its 3-4) after everyone is paid up

The 500 series coilovers have been available from Fortune Auto for $1569 retail + shipping. 510s are $2395+ available since April or so this year.

The reason these don't start at $1399 [$2150] retail like most of their other models, is Fortune Auto developed a rear top hat (with camber option) specifically for the Spyder shortly after GB#1. They quoted me low for GB#1 because of a development decision to use Subaru GC8 tophats, which have slightly smaller studs in a very slightly different pattern that fits and performs in the stock MRS mounting holes. I wasn't in this decision making process, and I wasn't aware that this substitution was unacceptable to others. I didn't see anything wrong with the GC8 tophats, they were cost-effective, resource saving, and overall cheaper with a slightly smaller stud size. It was a tough situation (for everyone) to resolve keeping everyone content. The GB#1 price was $1225 each for 10 sets with free shipping, pretty good deal if you consider the price has bumped with the new parts. The kinks (front top mount stud size was too large for the group buy, but correct on the prototype, and front knuckle mounts needed to be at a slotted angle, incorrect on prototype as I only had -1.8 camber max) are worked out and we have Spyder specific top mounts, these are great coilovers that I don't have a problem promoting, except for the higher buy-in price. Yes the price is higher, but we are getting more with standard features that were mere options or were not standard before. Also new for GB#2 is the 510 series offering!

New features for Generation 7 500 series coilovers:
Front Radial bearings are now included to quiet coil bind and reduce steering effort
New Fortune Springs - Silicon chrome, strong, lighter weight, new color
Synthetic Shock oil
24 step adjustable dampers (I believe they were 16 step and only upgradeable to 510 series before)
Upgradeable to Pro 2 or 3-way canister system

New for Gen7 510 series:
Front Radial bearings are now included to quiet coil bind and reduce steering effort
New Fortune Springs - Silicon chrome, lighter weight, new color
Amsoil Synthetic Shock oil
Upgradeable to Pro 2 or 3-way canister system

If you don't know FA, checkout their site: fortune-auto.com more specifically, the info for the coilovers this group buy is for:
Fortune Auto 500 series
Fortune Auto 510 Series

Why Fortune Auto? USA hand built, quality dampers matched to the Spyder's weight distribution and handling characteristics. You don't get the same ride quality with others. People with back issues riding on other brands ask me for FA because they've heard great things about them. I put all this effort into making GB#1 happen because it was a no brainer after trying and disliking koni yellows + coilover springs. Fortune includes a 5-year warranty on their products where others are 1-3. Some brands don't include top hats. Some brands of dampers can't be serviced, though most pro suspension shops can handle them. They feel amazing driving on and off ramps, track and autocross events, with loads of mechanical grip and minimal roll, compliance for bumps with great high speed damper characteristics. They like using the bespoke, and #handbuiltforme tag lines.

As always, you choose your spring rates. If you need help choosing, see this link: Spring Selector Form -
Most guys picked 4k/6k spring rates, some went with 5k/7k or 6k/8k. I've had one guy do a reverse bias 10k/7k setup

You can post here, PM ME, or EMail me to establish contact, contact info, and to get on the list. This is the last suspension group buy I will coordinate. I'd like to try and support FA & the community with purchasing leverage since the price has increased. If we can get 30 sets total we can cut them by a pretty substantial margin. I'll take names and contact info down. We need 5 people signed up at the minimum in order for anything to happen. 30 confirmed sets to make the GB2.5 pricing come alive. I will let the group buy run through tax season before ending (04/20/2020), there are doubts we could reach 30 or 5 sets (small market) but you never know.

Upgrades -
Front Radial bearing upgrade is now included! (They were $85/pair before)
Locking spring perches are now included! (They were $45?/pair before)
Rear pillow ball camber plates option is included, there are no basic options. Front pillow ball camber plates are also included.
You can opt for the Swift or Hyperco spring upgrade (addtl cost +$350 for either brand).

510 only upgrades:
Heim joint upgrade $110 ( I assume this means teflon coated, higher quality pillowball joints, but I can clarify this later)

I don't have pricing on the below two so if you're on the list for a 510 set I can find out if you're interested.
Aluminum Damper Bodies
Hyperco Hydraulic spring perches (this sounds cool)

TIMELINE

October 24: Group buy open
November 29: Black Friday Sale??? I believe they have sales only with in-stock stuff so no promise here.
April 30 2020: Group buy will close on or before this date

I ACCEPT: Goods & Services PAYPAL+fee, CREDIT CARD+fee, service fee on your end
All of the following with no fees: Friends & Family PAYPAL, SEND MONEY WITH FACEBOOK MESSENGER, VENMO, DOGECOIN, LITECOIN,

I will require 25% down from everyone before a 5-30+ buy is submitted so I know I won't have unpaid suspension lying around.

Link to Group Buy #1
edits: I am changing group buy end date to 4/30/20 due to an event the weekend before 04/20/20

·
Registered
4 Posts
shoot, I just copped a set of 500s a few weeks back, had I known I would have waited. Awesome product though, amazing quality and fit, and a killer price for a custom spring/valve coilover setup.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like Fortune Auto will have one set of scratch and dent(Grade 2) 500 Series Generation 6 zzw30 coilovers available on Thursday @ 8PM eastern for Black Friday if anyone was interested in a deeply discounted but slightly dinged up set!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the price on these? Are they still availabl?
Their scratch and dent sale is black friday/CM only, limited to what they have. They had just one set of zzw30 gen 6 coilover sets available and they did sell. I believe they were ~$950 or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could we get helper springs on the 510 series? If yes, what would be the extra on top on the group but cost?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I recall some fitment issues in the past with these. Has that been resolved?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recall some fitment issues in the past with these. Has that been resolved?
#1 On the front top mount, the stud size was too large for the group buy, but correct on the prototype. Not sure how they mixed this one up. This issue is resolved.

#2 On the rear top mount, the Subaru GC8 rear camber plate was used. This meant the bolt pattern was slightly off, but it bolted up great. Pretty sure this is a money/price point decision. To make an entirely new camber plate for the Spyder is overkill because FA probably won't even sell 100 units, but this allows other companies to buy or steal the design and offer the tophats as well. This ZZW30-only camber plate is what makes the base retail price $1569 instead of $1399. I was okay with using the GC8 plate, others were not. All of FA's new ZZW30 coilovers will have the specific camber plate, so the issue is resolved at this extra cost.

#3 Front knuckle mounts, where the upper crash bolts go in. The top slot needed to be at a slotted angle to allow for front camber adjustment past -1.0 camber. This was incorrect on the prototype, it was a flat slot that didn't angle as the geometry changes on the strut. They've fixed this with any new set having the correct angle on this crash bolt slot. This issue is resolved.

#4 Rear knuckle mounts where the upper crash bolts go in. Inverse of #3 where the adjustment allows an obtuse negative camber degree (I'm pretty sure you could get -5.0 or so, especially with a cammed crash bolt. This happens on many other coilover sets. It's not something you can fix without (yet again) making more application specific parts, or simply doing an alignment.

So, FA messed up #1 and #3.
#2 is to fit a price point, otherwise they wouldn't have offered the build group buy #1 at the stated price in the first place.
#4 is what it is. You will get the same result with other brands for varying applications. my SW20 H&R coilover set allowed me to get -5.5 camber in the rear with an adjustable crash bolt, and that was without adjustable camber plates. It's up to you to align it or have it aligned correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts