MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Extended Thread Tire Hold

What is a extended thread tire hold and what can it do for me?
Just as the name implies a extended thread tire hold has the threads which hold your spare tire down extended a few more inches. What this means is you can now flip your spare tire upside down and use that space which was going unused for storage. Use it for an extra bag on long trips, when going grocery shopping, or just throw a roadside emergency kit in there. Take a look for yourself, go out and flip your spare tire upside down now and see all of the space you can gain by buying one of these.

But why do I need to have this in order to flip my spare?
If you use a unmodified hold down the threads will not be long enough and you will not be able to tighten the hold down enough to prevent the spare from moving. As you can imagine if you even brake hard without the spare properly secured it could cause some serious damage to the underside of the front trunk lid, a costly repair to say the least.

Here are some before and after pictures of the space gained.
Normal 2003+:

Inverted 2003+:

Normal 2000-2002:

Inverted 2000-2002:

The Frunkaver:

Cost:
Cost is $30 shipped to anywhere in the continental US. International orders please PM me for additional shipping cost.

Note: One size fits all. The standard model does not allow you to run a full-sized spare upside right (Like you have right now). If you have 2000-2002 model year spyder with the donut spare you can run it right side up with this tie down. If for whatever reason this is an issue you can get a bolt extension for an extra 2 dollars or the longer tie down for an additional 5 dollars. Again that is only necessary if you have a 2003+ spyder and think you might want to run with the spare right side up.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask me, either in this thread or PM. Thanks.

List:

1. Pturley (Spyderweb)
2. Prophet mmviii
3. 03txspyder
4. Judasursus
5. Schroder08
6. Aguillor
7. Tymmy (x2)
8. Butch_mr2
9. Imadetoast
10. Sasori
11. Spyderpurist

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple more thing I would like to mention. First I want to thank hokiemule, she is the one who tested the prototype and she was amazing. She got herself very involved in the process of making this a reality. More then I could have ever imagined so I just wanted to say thanks hokie.

Secondly tomorrow I will be ordering the first 5 tire holds so hopefully production will start on thursday and I will be able to send them out on monday.

Legal Disclaimer: Since this is a modification of a OEM part you acknowledge all responsibility for using this product upon purchase.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Aww, shucks, thanks, dd. :blush: You're welcome, and it's more than worth the effort.

But really, all flattering aside, this is a great mod. I've been wanting to invert the spare so I'd have room to store stuff like an emergency kit when I'm on the road (instead of sucking up what little space there is in the bins), but didn't have the capability of doing this mod myself. I'm probably going to get broudie's frunk bag, too, so this is an essential accessory for that. I have an 03 with the full-size spare, and I think the spare is easier to get out of the bin when it's inverted.

It engages and threads smoothly, and secures the inverted tire without a problem. It looks OEM, too.

And, if you want to bling it up a bit, buy one of Beanie's spider badges, fill in the center recess of the tiedown, and put the badge on it.

PS dd, you need to clean your frunk bin. :p

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm in. When I got in that accident, my spare tire screw thing got bent the hell up. I mean, it still held it in place, but it was obviously not a good idea.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blahpony @ Dec 15 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would be interested in this. My stock tire hold broke a few months ago. I would need the 03+ size.[/b]
Just to clarify are you wanting a full sized 03+ tie down that isn't shortened (So it doesn't stick out)?

What I am doing is using the 00-02 tie downs and extending the threads (obviously) which will work with all years. The one limitation being if you own a 03+ and want to flip it upside right again you won't be able to. Although I'm not sure why you would. :) If you do have the big long 03+ rod it will stick out pretty far below the car. I would worry about it being hit by something and getting bent. It may also interfere with the underbody plastics. That is an unknown since I have not tested one of the larger ones.

That said if anyone would like the longer tie down that is no problem at all but the cost will be a couple dollars higher ($5 more at the most) as they take more time and are more expensive to begin with.

I did just have a thought though. For the 00-02 guys we were given a small extension for their tie down. This was for when you did have flat you could screw on this little extension and be able to hold down your full sized flat tire. I can get these and include them with your order if you like as well.

Here's a picture of the difference between the tie down I am offering and the standard 03+ tie down.

And thanks for the kind words hokie, I appreciate it. As for the frunk... I know. :( It's been well below freezing here so I was unable to clean it before taking pictures. It was -13 (No windchill!) tonight. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Mep[;l,m

·
Registered
784 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Dec 15 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ksmT @ Dec 15 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you have any frunk bling mounting for this?

=D[/b]
But then what happens if you have a blowout? :)
[/b][/quote]

1st i act like i am inspecting the car on the side of the highway.
Then i look in the frunk like i am doing something productive.
After about 20mins, i call my cousin =p

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grumpy @ Dec 15 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Me thinks Mark G has the first one ever made.[/b]
I believe you are right. At least to my knowledge.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blahpony @ Dec 15 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I want the one that works with all years. I guess that would be the short one. If I flipped my tire, I wouldn't want to flip it back.[/b]
Ok, will do!

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ksmT @ Dec 15 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Dec 15 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ksmT @ Dec 15 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you have any frunk bling mounting for this?

=D[/b]
But then what happens if you have a blowout? :)
[/b][/quote]

1st i act like i am inspecting the car on the side of the highway.
Then i look in the frunk like i am doing something productive.
After about 20mins, i call my cousin =p
[/b][/quote]
:lol2: That always works.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blahpony @ Dec 15 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I want the one that works with all years. I guess that would be the short one. If I flipped my tire, I wouldn't want to flip it back.[/b]
Yah, you want the short one--that's the one I have now for my '03. You'll be fine with that one, and it takes less time to screw it in to anchor the tire.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hokiemule @ Dec 15 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blahpony @ Dec 15 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yah, you want the short one--that's the one I have now for my '03. You'll be fine with that one, and it takes less time to screw it in to anchor the tire.
[/b][/quote]

So the short one for less time screwing. Great.

Oh wait....

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blahpony @ Dec 15 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Oh wait....[/b]
Ah, but it's a matter of QUALITY of the screwing, not the time involved. :p

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hokiemule @ Dec 15 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blahpony @ Dec 15 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh wait....[/b]
Ah, but it's a matter of QUALITY of the screwing, not the time involved. :p
[/b][/quote]
Besides with the shorter one you get to the "good part" sooner. :)

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kevin Beane @ Dec 15 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sure, I'll take one. '03. So do I get a whole new tiedown and keep the one I have? Doesn't matter to me if it is $25 or $30... I'm in. Let me know when to send payment.[/b]
Yup.

Sorry to be dinging about this but do you just want one that fits the 03+ cars or did you mean you wanted the full length one so you could flip the spare upright again?

1 - 20 of 231 Posts
About this Discussion
230 Replies
59 Participants
xavierandrade
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing