MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

One thing I am looking to improve on my car is the gear shift feel. I have already fitted the aluminium spacer mounts to the shift mechanism and the brass bushes in the cables at the gearbox end.

The car is still a little new to me and perhaps I am expecting too much but the sprung assistance seems weak and the selection is not as positive as I would like. When fitting the new 6 speed we replaced the reverse blockout and shifter shaft, but I am pretty confident everything is lined up.

Any other things I can try?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on this, I went through everything and replaced the small plastic bush/clip at the end of the selector. Everything else seemed ok but this item seemed to be worn and had made some difference to the selector accuracy.

I plan to also look at a stronger assist spring when I get a few minutes. I am not sure if these are available, or even if replacement is possible but it drops down my tweaking list for now :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you talking about a 2zz 6spd swap? My gear shifts are quite sloppy. I purchased the car this evening. It's doable but it would be nice to clean it up if there is any way possible. I'll have to start digging in sometime this week but over all it's very notchy, reverse is a B. hope did you line things up as best you could? Any help from your experience would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
This seems like a weird thread to me. I've been using my spyder as a race car for more than 50% of my use of it, since I bought it 6 years ago, and I've never really felt the need to do anything to the shifting except a bronze bushing at the transmission end (just the left right bushing, not the engagement bushing).

Are you talking about a 2zz 6spd swap? My gear shifts are quite sloppy. I purchased the car this evening. It's doable but it would be nice to clean it up if there is any way possible. I'll have to start digging in sometime this week but over all it's very notchy, reverse is a B. hope did you line things up as best you could? Any help from your experience would be helpful.
Which clutch? Extended clutch linkage shaft installed? notchy at he same time as sloppy sounds very weird to me, but notchy shifting with an upgraded clutch can sometimes be the clutch known issue, and be fixed with the longer shaft....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is the 6 speed 2ZZ. As I mentioned in post 1 it may be just me getting used to it, but compared to other cars I own and have driven in the past, it seems more difficult to cleanly get the right gear. Its not crunching or anything clutch related but the sprung assistance seems odd. For example I was often hitting 6th not 4th by over compensating against the assist springs.

Its not unusable, just a little frustrating and vague. Glad to hear you have no issue with yours, I am out on track again later in the month and will try again following my tweaks.

I think the only thing for it is to spring for a sequential box, no mis shifts then ;)

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Yes it is the 6 speed 2ZZ. As I mentioned in post 1 it may be just me getting used to it, but compared to other cars I own and have driven in the past, it seems more difficult to cleanly get the right gear. Its not crunching or anything clutch related but the sprung assistance seems odd. For example I was often hitting 6th not 4th by over compensating against the assist springs.

Its not unusable, just a little frustrating and vague. Glad to hear you have no issue with yours, I am out on track again later in the month and will try again following my tweaks.

I think the only thing for it is to spring for a sequential box, no mis shifts then ;)
Don't assume it isn't clutch related just because it isn't crunching....yet Although hitting 6th instead of 4th doesn't match your earlier complaints that made me say that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think 2zz 6speed swaps are just vague and weird in general. Going into second doesn't feel like you're actually in 2nd for instance (at least for me). It's definitely not uncommon and there's various issues with different members in the past. I broke two shifter cables already so who knows, could just be me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This seems like a weird thread to me. I've been using my spyder as a race car for more than 50% of my use of it, since I bought it 6 years ago, and I've never really felt the need to do anything to the shifting except a bronze bushing at the transmission end (just the left right bushing, not the engagement bushing).

Which clutch? Extended clutch linkage shaft installed? notchy at he same time as sloppy sounds very weird to me, but notchy shifting with an upgraded clutch can sometimes be the clutch known issue, and be fixed with the longer shaft....
Reverse and 6th are notchy, it's very hard to get into reverse sometimes I have to shift through a few gears then jam it in to reverse. There is a lot of lateral play when in 1st and 5th.

Reverse and 1st seem to packed together, well R135 seem very close as well as 246 on the bottom. To my knowledge (got it yesterday) Exedy Stage 2 clutch and Fidenza lightened flywheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts