MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone watches Gears & Gasoline's YouTube channel (they make legit quality videos IMHO) but their last video landed on the Spyder as a "guide to buying a new car". At the end tall Ben says he actually bought one. I'm interested because that typically means they will have a series of build videos depending on what they are using the car for (road trip vs track vs daily street car) which would make for some interesting content as their budget is fairly insane versus a typical individual due to their sponsorships & support network.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yep saw this a few days ago as well. will be looking forward to what they do, if body kit, and performance parts.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
438 Posts
So starting from the 45 second to minute mark of the video and then he ends up buying a Spyder- smh??? Pretty funny- we'll have to watch and see what he ends up doing with it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait for them to tell me how much they love their modest $60k Spyder build, with which could not have happened without the quality parts from Advance Auto.
That's actually kinda what I appreciate..the fact that they can do a would be at retail price 60k K-swapped RX-7 build and show the hiccups that go with it along the way. Like I said I'm sure their budget will be absurd but I think that's part of the appeal, the fact that I'm hoping their final build fits the bill so to speak.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That's actually kinda what I appreciate..the fact that they can do a would be at retail price 60k K-swapped RX-7 build and show the hiccups that go with it along the way. Like I said I'm sure their budget will be absurd but I think that's part of the appeal, the fact that I'm hoping their final build fits the bill so to speak.
What engine route do you think they're going to do on this one?

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
220 Posts
Thanks for the share as I just finished this really captivating '85 Fiero restoration that originally inspired the purchase of my MR2 last summer and could use a new content pool.

Not the greatest car in the world, but it is to him and that is all that matters. I liked that he shows his mistakes.

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What engine route do you think they're going to do on this one?
Just due to their track record a turbo K-swap wouldn't surprise me in the least bit. I think it would be too easy of a cop out for them though. I'd love to see a 2ar or turboed 2gr tbh...I wanna see that eccentric sponsor budget put to good use lol

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
220 Posts
lol, it really is a disaster aesthetically with the iron man paint job and batman front emblem.

I believe the end game is a reliable-ish track toy which means that ridiculous ninja sword shift knob is at least out.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My God did they rescue this Spyder. I'm trying hard to think of one redeeming part of the P.O.'s "build" but I can't come close. Not necessarily the Spyder we wanted to see them buy, but the Spyder that we all deserve to see cleaned up & saved.

This guy's ad definitely ended with "No low ballers, I know what I have".

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
220 Posts
Ironman MR2 update: Un-Pimping Edition

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This episode was impressive in just the sheer amount of 16 yr old, first car clueless mods that were done to that poor Spyder....Definitely a new meaning to exhaust hangar.

On a side note,, I also have that same ridiculous glued on thick vinyl "carbon fiber" on various parts of my dash. I hate it so much but I'm pretty sure I'll mess up the plastics removing it...was hard to tell if they got it all off cleanly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This episode was impressive in just the sheer amount of 16 yr old, first car clueless mods that were done to that poor Spyder....Definitely a new meaning to exhaust hangar.

On a side note,, I also have that same ridiculous glued on thick vinyl "carbon fiber" on various parts of my dash. I hate it so much but I'm pretty sure I'll mess up the plastics removing it...was hard to tell if they got it all off cleanly.
yeah hard to remove, even with lots of goo gone and no metal tools being used. it's pretty awful, so i wrapped what i could in suede to cover the rough surface and discoloration lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
Did you buy that out of West Virginia? I think I recognize it. Kid kept sending me pics of a decent car advertised for 9k. I declined on his but he kept sending me stuff so I told him all of the things wrong with the car. He thought wrinkled gold wrap was a positive selling point. I hope you got it at a good price. He seemed a bit desperate.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Btw, I vote for a boosted 2ar swap. It hasn’t been done before. I have a na 2ar swap and love it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
So, I haven't watched this, or really dug into the thread.

How cheap was "cheap,"?

I should probably watch it.

As for bunk mods and repairs.. wish I still had that pic of Percy's 100A alternator fuse.. Oh boy. 🤣

1 - 20 of 33 Posts