MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They're going track build, eventually engine swap...and all I can say is I know tall Ben has an account on this site. Let's start weeding out the newer accounts & figure it out lol.

Seriously though I can def see them doing a 2zz or K-swap but I hope they mix it up with either a forced induction setup (not likely if going for a reliable track build) or a 2ar build

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
272 Posts
The k-swap has been done quite a bit. I would think a high compression, big cam, 1ar would be pretty ideal. If a small turbo is ok, then a 1ar stock pistons and cam, small low pressure turbo. 1ar/2ar have the advantage of remaining streetable over a 2 gr which would become a, scary fast, dedicated track car, imho.

·
Registered
206 Posts
2zz is simple, and 03+ 2zz pistons and lift bolts make it more reliable than early 2zz.
then to prevent some oil issues, maybe they'll try for the stroker 2zz to get power at lower peak rpm since the oil pump gears start to get sketchy according to some people around 8k+ rpm

1AR/2AR are good picks knowing that the community has developed swap instructions and support, plus their reliability and newer design may be a big bonus.

but lemme throw this one out there: a ported NA 13b rotary mounted up to the C60 transmission

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I wonder if he will simply go 2zz.

He hinted at not wanting this car to be like his other 2 cars (rotary and turbo). Or maybe K20 and call it a day?

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
221 Posts
For those a sleep at the wheel during the holidays like me and missed the next episode:

Not going to lie, I was as impressed as he was at the little 1ZZ surviving an entire day.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
221 Posts
Learn how to prime cut the roast beast and pizza out of the bottom seat. Especially handy for anyone taller than 0.000987 nautical miles (6' 3").

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think he should go in increments. First a light boost 1zz turbo on the existing engine 225hp ish. Blow that up and go to the 2zz then go for the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
221 Posts
I think he should go in increments. First a light boost 1zz turbo on the existing engine 225hp ish. Blow that up and go to the 2zz then go for the fancy stuff.
He mentioned getting a 100 laps with all his friends, I surely hope they document the destruction of the little 1zz that could.

Reactions: Mr2salty

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
They have a YouTube channel to run. I would think they would K swap it for the views.
They've K-swapped a number of vehicles now, they would benefit more from something like a 2ar which would keep the interest of their established viewer base as well as attract ppl which own either vehicle (donor/recipient). 2gr would also be fun to see but significantly more involved & IMO over their heads as far as DIY skill on a short timetable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They're more intune with the K series than the Toyota AR/2GR platform. Especially hours of data logging with Ben's Civic.

Although it would be exciting to see something else other than the K.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not going to lie, I was as impressed as he was at the little 1ZZ surviving an entire day.
Eh?? Why? After purchasing mine I took it to NCCAR for 2 hours (rented out the track) to shake it down and see what if anything needed attention. Other than changing the oil and replacing plugs and coil packs car was in exact same condition as when I had purchased it. Engine seemed to do fine.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
444 Posts
Eh?? Why? After purchasing mine I took it to NCCAR for 2 hours (rented out the track) to shake it down and see what if anything needed attention. Other than changing the oil and replacing plugs and coil packs car was in exact same condition as when I had purchased it. Engine seemed to do fine.
I wasn't sure if it would survive given it's past questionable care or mainly lack thereof. If you look at all the videos of this car you can see numerous maintenance & repair issues. These are just the ones you can see. When a prior owner of a car cuts corners on minor maintenance things then you're almost guaranteed they didn't do any routine maintenance and probably only fixed things as they were broken, prevented driving, passing required inspections, changed oil only when low, etc. Yeah, so I was happy to see she survived track day 😀

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh right, in that context makes perfect sense.

Also I bought my MR2 1-2 months before G&G bought theirs and I'm fairly certain that 1) it's in better condition & 2) mine was cheaper. lol.

BTW I emailed them a few weeks ago sayin they should return to VIR next month for THSCC's Grand Course HPDE. No reply....yet :confused:

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
221 Posts
Oh right, in that context makes perfect sense.
When bringing it back to life, water was hemorrhaging from the non-connected exhaust. I am just tickled that the 20 year old engine was up to the task after all these years of questionable service.

Glad to hear yours held up on the track as well!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts