MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting here as it gets more traffic than the regional forum and it is performance related talk.

I’ll be moving to Georgia from California and I’m wondering what kind of engine modifications and swaps are possible in the counties that require smog checks. It’s unclear what I can get away with from looking at the Georgia Clean Air Force website. I have a fully built 1ZZ that’s ready for turbo and the way I was going to go about it here in California was to take the turbo off and on every 2 years for smog. That’s the only way I’ve been able to achieve modifications of that caliber here because of how strict the OBD tests and visual tests are.

So if you are in any of the Atlanta Metropolitan areas that require smog maybe you could give some insight here as to what modifications are acceptable according to your smog stations? Hard to find any good solid info.

Here’s my post from the SouthEast Regional forum:

“Hi

I’ll be moving to the Northern Atlanta area within the next couple months and I have some questions about smog.

I know the counties that have smog and we will most likely be in one of them. Really trying to find a place in Cartersville or Northern Acworth in Bartow County so I can have no smog but my GF will be working in Kennesaw so any further into the county isn’t really an option.

So my question is, if we end up in Cobb County or Cherokee County what is the smog process like?
In CA for the 01 Spyder it’s a visual inspection, have to have CARB approved intake or exhaust. CAT has to be there (and CA approved). No tailpipe test but all monitor’s have to read ready in the computer and there can be no check engine lights.

So is this on par with GA smog? Or is GA more lax with visual inspections and/or monitors. All I seem to be able to find on the Georgia Clean Air Force website is that you need to have no check engine light, they inspect that the cat is intact and not “tampered with” and that the OBD system is “ready”. That part really bugs me because there is more than one OBD monitor. So does that mean every system has to ready? Or just Cat and Evap? Or all except Evap? All except one? Etc.

Anyone with detailed info on what is actually required and what can be expected that would be greatly appreciated.

I’m planning on running a stand-alone with turbo which is damn near impossible here in CA and I’m hoping maybe it is possible here in GA....

Picture of the car at the local autocross this last weekend for fun:

·
Registered
682 Posts
California is tough! I was in Delmar and returned my V50 to stock with a replacement factory air box. They basically allow zero modifications. Even OEM parts from a different year are a no no. Its absolutely horrid. I was given a hard time because there was an extra air nipple on the airbox from a different year and a replacement silicone coupler because the original had degraded and split. You basically have to keep EVERYTHING OEM to swap back onto the car every two years. If you change the internals of your engine or cams you will possibly get by if you're in a county that only does OBDII scanning. If they require a rolling road emissions check you may never pass.

In GA you can get by with quite a bit depending on the county. I have seen turbo civics and all sorts of stuff. Some inspection places out in the country are quite lax and mostly just see farm trucks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Georgia, I have AEM cold air intake, magnaflow cat and HKS exhaust.

None of it warrants a second look by the emissions guy.
I’m assuming you’re in an Atlanta Metro county? And that’s good to know. The intake wouldn’t fly in CA without a CARB number.

More what I’m asking is what is the process of the smog? Do all your monitors have to run? Does the computer have to match the car? Like a k swap with an RSX computer.

When I have the turbo installed would it pass as long as OBD is intact and the cat is there?

In GA you can get by with quite a bit depending on the county. I have seen turbo civics and all sorts of stuff. Some inspection places out in the country are quite lax and mostly just see farm trucks.
Bartow County is the only county we are looking at that has no smog inspection but it’s looking like we may not find a house in the area we are looking at. Not worried about it if we move there.

Cobb county is most likely where we will end up and they do have smog inspection there so that’s what I’m looking for info on. Sounds like different inspection stations have different tolerances for things?

I haven’t really seen many heavily modified cars rolling around yet so it’s hard to judge just from that. I’m in Kennesaw right now for the next week looking for houses and getting a feel for the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
heeltoehero (Eric) has a k-swap in the same county as me, and it passes smog.

Kennesaw is a great area, very low crime rate. Technically you have to own a gun to buy a house there, but I don't really know how that's enforced if at all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You're going to love it here. I lived in California for most of my life, thought it was the best place to live.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful state with so many things to see and do, and it's hard to compare the natural splendor of places like Yosemite Valley with anywhere else on Earth.

That being said, Georgia is still a free state and California is rapidly sliding into communism - far ahead of any other place in this country.

No matter what your political slant may be, there are a few facts which cannot be ignored.

KEEP more of your paycheck, GET more for your money.

Case in point - I had a $600,000 mortgage on a 1,300 square foot house in a decent neighborhood... payment was $3300 a month and $8500 a year in property taxes. Now, I have a $150,000 mortgage on a 3,000 square foot house. Payment is $1180 per month with taxes included. In a beautiful neighborhood outside of suburbia, on the edge of rurality where I hear crickets and frogs outside at night instead of jumbo jets.

I've got a great realtor down here who really took special care to help us get into a great house at an excellent price.

Mike and Frances Healy were a great resource. Here's Mike's website Your Easy Home Search

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Abandon - are you moving out of CA just so that you can have your cars the way you want?
lol I wish I was that committed to modifying my cars. Moving because my girlfriend got a job offer that’s a great opportunity for her. We’ve been trying to figure out how to get out of California for years so it worked out perfectly.

Bummer that you’re leaving. Hopefully we can go on a drive at least once before you leave
I’m hoping I can go on a lot of drives before we leave I’m really going to miss my canyons. Hopefully we have time to meet up before I go.

You're going to love it here. I lived in California for most of my life, thought it was the best place to live.

KEEP more of your paycheck, GET more for your money.

I've got a great realtor down here who really took special care to help us get into a great house at an excellent price.

Mike and Frances Healy were a great resource. Here's Mike's website Your Easy Home Search
Thanks I’ll check his site out! I’ve been a CA guy all my life and I never thought I’d be leaving until I started thinking about owing a house...I just can’t justify the type of money they want you to spend in CA. In GA I can actually pay the house off before I’m retired haha

I’ve only been to GA once before and I’ll be here until after the 4th of July. The longer I’m here the more I like it. Coming from the LA area the weirdest thing is people smiling and waving at me instead of avoiding eye contact lol

Back to the subject of the smog stuff though. I messaged a guy I met at an autocross a couple months ago who had just moved to CA from Georgia and he gave me a little more info but he only smogged his car once when he lived here.

So the info I’ve been able to gather is you can have modifications as long as you have a cat of some sort. They check your gas cap. And they check your OBD for readiness.

What I haven’t been able to find out for sure is the extent of the monitor readiness check. Since they physically check your gas cap (like they used to in California) I assume that the Evap monitor does not have to be ready. Because the Evap will throw a P0442 for a small Evap leak if your gas cap is bad. So I’m thinking all except Evap is the most likely requirement. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, does anyone know for sure that when they do the visual inspection, a big old turbo right in front of them is going to fail? It’s not like it’s hidden in an mr2 like it would be in something like a civic.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I’ve only been to GA once before and I’ll be here until after the 4th of July. The longer I’m here the more I like it. Coming from the LA area the weirdest thing is people smiling and waving at me instead of avoiding eye contact lol

Also, does anyone know for sure that when they do the visual inspection, a big old turbo right in front of them is going to fail? It’s not like it’s hidden in an mr2 like it would be in something like a civic.
They haven't looked under my hood in the 10 years since I moved here, on any vehicle.

Life is completely different here, in so many ways. All of them better. The only negative that comes to mind is the 5 hour drive to the beach.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Good to know haha

I'm assuming your Spyder is still in California. I would imagine you have driven all the fun roads around So Cal such as Palomar Mountain, 243 from Palm Springs to Idyllwild, Ortega Highway, Angeles Crest, Glendora Ridge, etc.

If you move to Kennesaw, imagine having all of those roads in one place, less than 1 hour away from you.

There is also the added benefit that the state of Georgia has less people in it than Los Angeles county.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yah everything is still in CA. Just out here looking for a place to live and getting a feel for the area.

I live in Thousand Oaks, CA and grew up in Agoura. Literally 5 minutes from the canyons. I’ve also done GMR, Angeles crest, all of Santa Barbara county, and some places in the Bay Area as well. Gonna be hard to top that for me. I lived and breathed mulholland in my heyday, it was basically a way of life for us up there haha

I have noticed there is a lot of potential for some good roads out here. Point me in the right direction haha I’ve got a rental Maxima and I’m not afraid to use it

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohhh those look fun. Might have to wait until the girlfriend goes to sleep and check them out.

And yah we are more beer and tequila type people but I do like whiskey as well. We’ve already tried some local stuff at Taco Mac and it’s pretty good. Taco Mac seems to have the widest variety of stuff and it’s right next to the hotel lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ohhh those look fun. Might have to wait until the girlfriend goes to sleep and check them out.

And yah we are more beer and tequila type people but I do like whiskey as well. We’ve already tried some local stuff at Taco Mac and it’s pretty good. Taco Mac seems to have the widest variety of stuff and it’s right next to the hotel lol

Not far from you is a place called Pappasito's.

Do yourself a favor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry pwnzors. If there's one thing that Southern CA has over the rest of the country, it's Mexican food.
Having lived in Long Beach California for almost 40 years, I'm well aware.

Pappasito's is outstanding food. American style Mexican. Definitely better than Taco Mac.

If you want regional family style Mexican food, I know where to get it here. It took a while to find it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts