MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, to the best of my knowledge, there exists a single supplier for 2zz swap intakes. While PPE makes a great product, it is unfortunately over priced for what it is. They are able to set that price because it is a monopoly. Also, the intake does not work with certain variants of the 2zz intake manifold. The 90 degree coupler places the intake beside the battery instead of behind it. I have a PPE intake on my silver 2zz and ended up getting a 45 degree coupler to make it work.

As I perform the swap on my white Spyder I am left with no option but to make my own. As I make this intake I realize that I could do the community a service by offering some for sale. Is there any interest in a swap intake? I realize that the demand is very limited and I don't have the infrastructure to make 100s and store them. I would be willing to make 10 or so if there are that many people interested in purchasing one. My guess at a price is $160 shipped within the US. Which is almost $90 less than PPE. The price can be lower if more than 10 people have interest.

I am hoping to finish my intake by Monday and will post pictures. If there is no interest I'll gladly list my suppliers and a how to for others to make them.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
MWR has them and there just as expensive as PPE's. I seen on a old thread LR use to make cheap ones.

·
Registered
971 Posts
fing a way to fit a velocity stack in there near the scoop and you I'm in

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not going to do anything with a velocity stack, too much work for little in return.

So the first prototype short intake is done. I am finishing the CAI version that will place the filter by the battery this weekend.

What the kit will have:
Injen X1013 air filter
Choice of short (5") or CAI type aluminum (6061) intake with aluminum MAF housing
3 stainless steel worm gear clamps
Choice of 45 degree or 90 degree silicone coupler
Cost: $160 shipped within the US

Is there any interest? If 10 people are interested I will post an official group buy and pay the $20 fee. If you have an interest post here or PM me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, that's more effort in cost and time than I want to get into right now. The regular intakes don't require any major investment of my time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brand new Injen Filter:

Intake pipe 6061 Aluminum:

6061 Aluminum MAF housing:

Complete intake:

Because this is aluminum its hard to keep it shiny and polished, any smudge from a finger is obvious. I haven't tried using a cleaner to see how well it can shine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Any pictures of the air vanes inside the pipe?
Inside the intake pipe? Internally it is straight through. If you've looked at a PPE or other intake there aren't any air vanes. If I understand right you're talking about the piece that regulates airflow around the MAF to prevent a CEL. I haven't see that in any of the aftermarket intakes I've used. It would be a good add on, if I can find a quick and easy source. This seems like a good resource: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/simple-air-vane-mod-aftermarket-air-intakes-71753/

Below are two images looking straight down the pipe.

This is a PPE:

This is a preproduction test dummy of mine:

·
Registered
977 Posts
its not a very tricky thing to make yourself.

depending on the type of intake your engine has, its one 76mm elbow either 90 or 45 degree. get a stock 2zz intake and dremel the maf tube off and use that. and thats pretty much all your need, thats what i did. and i have no issues. couldnt bring myself to pay for the ones commercially available.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Inside the intake pipe? Internally it is straight through. If you've looked at a PPE or other intake there aren't any air vanes. If I understand right you're talking about the piece that regulates airflow around the MAF to prevent a CEL. I haven't see that in any of the aftermarket intakes I've used. It would be a good add on, if I can find a quick and easy source. This seems like a good resource: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/simple-air-vane-mod-aftermarket-air-intakes-71753/

Below are two images looking straight down the pipe.

This is a PPE:

This is a preproduction test dummy of mine:
I am shocked! I thought they were mandatory to avoid cells, but I stand very corrected. I wonder if my AEM intake has vanes, I don't know if I ever looked.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am shocked! I thought they were mandatory to avoid cells, but I stand very corrected. I wonder if my AEM intake has vanes, I don't know if I ever looked.
I know none of the dozen AEMs I had did. Maybe the SRI variants.

Welcome to filter on a stick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.