MR2 SpyderChat banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Has anyone got any updated info on good service for MR2 Spyders in South Florida?

Thanks.

Harryco.
Check with LordTakuban on this site. I think he is in SoFla.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A thank you

Just a general THANK YOU to the forum and its admins.

There were some referrals here to Steven Velocity and Service Manager Greg at Chula Vista for servicing and help with my Spyder and these referalls turned out to be invaluable.

Thanks gain. This is a pretty cool forum. :D

Toyota Chula Vista
650 East Main Street
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(800) 254-4062

special thanks to switchlanez for the direct reference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I decided to keep my Spyder...

and now I am going to need someone to look into my engine and fix it up. I have a friend who takes his vehicles to someone he trusts in Tijuana, which initially made me shy away but I'm starting to consider it. I'm going to look around San Diego first, is Toyota Chula Vista the most recommended location? Thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
This is an excellent service center in NJ that performed my C60 swap and cruise control:

Ceriale's Automotive Services
861 Woodlane Road
Westampton, NJ 08060
609-267-4600

·
Registered
663 Posts
Aero recommended to me S&R Perfomance in Tampa 813 961 0609.I have just dealt with them and was impressed.Don't know where in S.Fl you are,but then I didn't read entire thread.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Replaced exhaust system

If your precats have disintegrated you will need a new short block as well. The precat material gets sucked into the motor and scratches the cylinder walls leading to increased oil consumption and eventual death of motor. Take it back and tell then you want a new engine.
;145236 said:
Live in Houston SW side myself and I used Sterling McCall for my 2001 Spyder...

I took my spyder in because it was showing horrible rev, not getting over 4000 rpm, all the (now) classic symptoms. However I didn't discover these forums until recently. I took the spyder in and asked for help. I never saw the CEL come on.

1) First help was to do a full clean and replace on the mass air flow meter and some performance tuning that the rep suggested (basically cleaning the EFI system) - total cost about $500.

2) Next day, took it back in because I was having the same problems. They asked if they could hold onto the car for a couple days to beter diagnose. I checked back in a few days later (they comped the rental car) and said it was fixed now. $0 cost

3) Picked up spyder, got on freeway and turned it back around and asked for the same rep. Asked him to get in the car with me so I could show him that it still wasn't fixed. Further diagnosis time. $0 cost

4) Finally able to speak to the mechanic and explain the problem. At this point they decided (as I found out later) to not just go of what their computers were telling them and looking at the actual parts. Lo and behold they find out one of the pre-cats has disintegrated. They would have to replace the entire exhaust system. $0 cost but I did have to get the service manager involved and spent a ton of time being a pain because these guys "had no clue".

If I had been active on these boards, I suspect this entire episode would be much more pleasant for me. So is Sterling McCall the best? NO. Did they eventually do right by me? I guess.

Should you go in to them to have this same problem fixed? Up to you, but make sure you talk to the mechanic that will work on your car and not just the service rep. The main cause (again as I found out later) of most of my hassles was that the rep was not relaying my exact complaint to the mechanic. Be very descriptive of what's going wrong with your spyder and let them know that the pre-cats need to be visually inspected.

All that being said, I don't know if this pre-cat problem is under warranty or not, but the exhaust system is not cheap to have replaced.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Excelent service!

Just a general THANK YOU to the forum and its admins.

There were some referrals here to Steven Velocity and Service Manager Greg at Chula Vista for servicing and help with my Spyder and these referalls turned out to be invaluable.

Thanks gain. This is a pretty cool forum. :D

Toyota Chula Vista
650 East Main Street
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(800) 254-4062

special thanks to switchlanez for the direct reference.
Two weeks ago I was attended by your Technician Juan Sanchez. Change all the oxygen sensor to my MR2. He gave me very good attention and help with diagnosis. Congrats! Good people for MR2 in Chula Vista Ca.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any service centers in Massachusetts?

Scrolled all through the thread and didn't see any listed for Massachusetts. Anyone have a good one to recommend in MA?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anyone has a recommendation around Chino CA 91710?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good Mr. T in Charleston, SC

Took it in today for an SMT light. knowledgeable, guy knew exactly where the "other" book was when i said "MR2". service tech familiar with model and worked on one recently. Said code was a vague default code but everything looks fine (checked SMT fluid). Didn't charge me a penny!

Toyota of Charleston on Savannah Highway

·
Registered
34 Posts
CA: Aggressive Performance:San Jose, Sunnyvale, & Santa Clara California MR2 Mechanic

Aggressive Performance 408-988-1247
Soo (sole proprietor)
3469 Victor St., ( x Aldo), off Hwy 101 &DeLaCruz in Santa Clara,
just North of San Jose airport.

Soo specializes in the older MR2 II's, but did the 1ZZFE engine swap on my 'newer' '01 Spyder. The motor was replaced with one I had purchased used from a sideswiped '06 Matrix. Soo knows all the idiosyncrasis of the MR2s, and all the things that should 'also' be done or checked as the job is being done, like cleaning out the pre-cats, check the water pump, etc. I highly recommend him for your more technical work.

While I was there, Soo had a couple MR2s he was fixing up for racing, and a couple BMWs he was servicing. He has racks and racks of old MR2 motors & trannys, and his shop is medium sized and fairly organized for a one-man shop. He usually works late, since he has plenty of work. Labor prices were fair, and in line with the other shops I checked. No extras were added to the Labor quote except for a new $52 belt, which he had told me up front it might need, and then $100 for fluids, gaskets & misc.
Some shops refused to work on an MR2, afraid the driver was just going to blow the motor again.

In case you need 'help' getting there: Unique Towing (ph: 888-440-2869 (toll free) or 408-249-5283 (local) is on Aldo Ave, 1/2 block away from his shop.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Scrolled all through the thread and didn't see any listed for Massachusetts. Anyone have a good one to recommend in MA?
If you live in the Boston area, Fresh Pond Mobil in Cambridge is recommended. A previous Spyder owner vouched for them and I've been taking mine there for a while now. The guys there have an uncanny ability to get parts the same or next day and knows his stuff.

343 Fresh Pond Parkway
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 354-4605
Eli is the head honcho there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I learned to be very careful when dealing with Toyota dealers, they're in it for the sales, not the service.

I stopped in the Toyota dealership in Nashville shortly after acquiring my '88 SC....ask them about supercharger fluid, and they told me to use standard motor oil......idiots.

On that note, here is a goodie...only problem is that he's so popular, hard to get a spot. John was an ex Toyota tech who opened his own shop, will fully guarantee all work as long as Toyota parts are used, and will go above and beyond in his work.

Name: Supra Service
Location: 3210 Forest Blvd, Jacksonville, FL (just off Beach Blvd, halfway between Southside Blvd and St Johns Bluff Rd)
Phone #: (904) 389-4561
Service Rep: John Nelesen, owner

I've been gone from Jax since the spyder's introduction, but he has had extensive experience with the Mk1 and Mk2, including a lot of performance mods on the Mk2 for several clients. One guy went to Toyota in '95, ordered a new MR2 turbo, and drove it straight to John who spent almost a year upgrading the engine/transmission/suspension....was a totally awesome car when it came out......wow.

Rick

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I use a shop started by an ex-subbie tech, for all my vehicles. Good work, fair prices. He is located in the suburbs of Rochester, NY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service Center needed in Santa Monica, CA 90403 (West of LA)

Hi, I just bought a 2002 MR2 with 93k miles and it's going to need some work to fix the clutch/clutch chatter issue.

Can anyone recommend a good service center close by Los Angeles?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Need A Good/Honest/Smart tech/mechanic for my MRS & MR2-T around Costa Mesa South OC

Anyone? It's tougher and tougher to find good techs/mechanics.. Anyone have any favorites in OC, CA? Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
How about great mechanics in the Northern NJ area?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not sure if you ever found a shop in MA. I've been using Dimidis and Sons in Framingham (west of Boston) for the past 18 months with complete satisfaction.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts
About this Discussion
175 Replies
137 Participants
JimmyC
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing