MR2 SpyderChat banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
At this point it appears of the few Spyder knowledgeable mechanics that might have existed are no longer at Toyota Dealerships (if they ever were). Hope future posters to this forum can recommend independents. When they ask if you want your tires rotated (2003-2006), you know their expertise.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Any Recommended Shops/Mechanics in Metro D.C. area?

Any Recommended MR2 Spyder Shops/Mechanics in Metro D.C. area?

Just bought a 2001 Spyder and know for sure that I will be needing some repairs or upgrades in the near future. Is there anyone you can personally recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for soft top service in Portland OR

Anyone know of any great shops in Portland Oregon? Just moved here and so far the Toyota Dealership is not doing well. Would love some recs for independent shops specifically for soft top replacement as well as shops for typical maintenance work.

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Name: Modesto Toyota
Phone #: 800-554-3284
Service Rep: F-

When I called their service department and told them I had an MR2, I was asked if that was a Mazda. They also will not honor extended warrantee's (they will however fill out the claim forms for you).
Can confirm, plus they seem to think they are the only game in town for Toyota so you get zero deals or wiggle room with them. I had to go to Merced to buy a Prius when IO lived here because they weren't interested in selling me one. Crazy place.

As for my shop, it is a little private run palce in Ceres called Respect Auto Works. I'll put up an official post too, but they replaced my ruined 1ZZ with a JDM motor under 75K as well as did maintenance to get me up to snuff. Fair prices, INCREDIBLE shop (rubber gloves and no oil spots in sight) and he does everything from basic maintenance to fully modfied monsters all with the same level of care and expertise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Modesto/Ceres California Area

Respect Auto Works
143 E Whitmore Ave. Ste B
Modesto, CA 95358
(209) 485-4079

A+ shop for all services except bodywork, only because they don't do it.

Ethil is a young, professional mechanic who hires like minded individuals. The shop is clean and he always puts the highest quality work into every vehicle he services. Honest, fair, willing to work with you and understand your needs. Full service from regular maintenance to full modification available.

·
Registered
287 Posts
OTP Automotive in Winder, GA.

Reasonable prices, no double charging for overlapping labor, and they know Spyders well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any recommendations for Cincinnati, OH? My 2001 MR2 seems to have the dreaded rod knock, and the shop I took it to won't do that kind of work. In fact, they recommended getting a whole new engine. I'd like to find a reputable shop that knows Toyotas in general, and bonus if they've worked on Spyders.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you need a hand and go a new engine, let me know. I might be able to help you out. I think most would recommend that because the engines (in general) are relatively cheap and plentiful (because many don't realize the subtle nuances).

I swapped a 2zz in for mine when it died (after 190k and then a couple years of autocross). It's now a low boost (8psi) quick-spool turbo'd 2zz.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m new to Spyder-ville, but not new to this mechanic. He has no background with Spyders; but decades of experience with Volvo and BMW. He has already replaced a leaking chain tensioner seal and A/C compressor and filter on my 2003. He does a ton of research and has always come in under bid and on time. My go-to-guy.

Name: Steve
Location: Dave’s European Motors, Orangevale, CA (near Sacramento)
Phone #: (916) 989-0687
Service Rep:

Rating: A

·
Registered
15 Posts
Name: Bruce Cann, tech
Phone #: (916) 730-3272 cell; (916) 355-1550
Service Rep:

This dealer has been mentioned before in this thread. I had time and went for a visit. The previous service contact is long gone. The current service mgr. led me to Bruce. He sounds very knowledgeable and experienced with Spyders. He had some harrowing repair stories to tell me and soon showed me a bottle of SMT Unobtanium fluid that he used on a repair a couple days ago. If Dave’s European can’t help me, Bruce is getting me call.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts
About this Discussion
175 Replies
137 Participants
JimmyC
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing