MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Is it bad to put weight on the pillars / windshield frame when you enter /exit a spyder?
The only thing that I would honestly worry about would be rubbing the paint off the pillar. Maybe not the easiest thing, but given enough time, it probably will happen.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see any need to grab the windshield frame unless you're not exiting the car properly...

* Put your outside foot on the ground.
* Place your outside hand on the pad embossed into the door sill plastic.
* Lean out of the car.
* Leaving your inside leg as limp as possible, stand up on your outside leg while pushing on the door sill.

Admittedly, this technique isn't very lady like, and it does expose your lady-parts to view, but nobody except you will care! Trust me on this!

If you're one of those people who poke both feet out of the car and wave them around in the air trying to shift your center of gravity, well, you're funny! It makes me laugh, anyway.
This is exactly how i get out of the car. but ive seen my friends grab it when they get in and out. and i remember reading up on S2000's, and they were pretty adamant about not putting any weight on it

·
Registered
133 Posts
There's a vid somewhere of a guy jumping on the spyder window frame..no damage at all.. its pretty solid.. there's alot to it.. more then what it looks like from the outside..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just hold your passengers' hands to help him/her out, then give 'em a hug, whisper in their ear: "I'll get a normal car someday."

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Those A-pillars are probably the strongest part of the car. I never felt the need to get out in the way describe but if I did I would have no problem doing so.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I put my palm or hook a finger on the the door latch.

One advantage to holding onto something metal while getting out is preventing static shock. I use the door latch only for that reason, but you could lift yourself up from there.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I put two feet out first and then stand up not holding onto anything, I find this works the best for cars that are super low or have seats with a tall side bolster. I guess it would wear the side bolster a little more than normal though.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I put two feet out first and then stand up not holding onto anything, I find this works the best for cars that are super low or have seats with a tall side bolster. I guess it would wear the side bolster a little more than normal though.

I have no legs or arms. (sorry for constantly derailing a thread but it's all I can do)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
One of my favorite things in life is giving someone that has never been a Spyder a ride. Not the actual ride mind you - I don't like them to soil their drawers - but getting in and out. This is particularly amusing when the top is up or if they are (how should I say this?) FAT.

·
Registered
344 Posts
One of my favorite things in life is giving someone that has never been a Spyder a ride. Not the actual ride mind you - I don't like them to soil their drawers - but getting in and out. This is particularly amusing when the top is up or if they are (how should I say this?) FAT.
Middle-aged people can be great too. You can hear them get in or out from a mile away. It was even a problem with the (supposedly softer) SW20.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've grabbed it most all the time since 2003. AFAIK my A pillar is still there and glass intact.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I've grabbed it most all the time since 2003. AFAIK my A pillar is still there and glass intact.
I'm going to grab the A-pillar from now on. I have a bad habit of trying to get a little leverage on the door which is not a good thing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've had people grap the A-pillar getting in and out of my car. They were either tall or had a bad back. As long as they don't grab and put weight on my top, I'm ok with the A-pillar. No harm done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts