MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, fairly new here (been lurking about for a month) picking up good tips and Imfo on Spyders.
Lucked into my first Spyder about 5 weeks ago, a 2003 low milage (9200) black/black/black SMT in pristine condition. (looks like it should be a 2010) So I've been driving the heck out of it (1500 miles)
already...and I'm just looking for some advice on how to properly maintain it...what to look out for,ect.
I just had the oil changed, fluids checked, ect...everything in it is like new.(it had been babied!)
We're not what you'd call "car" people (not to handy around the auto's...) so any help or advice would be greatly apprieciated! Thanks a bunch. Oh, took me a month but finally got some pic's and figured the photobucket out too...here goes-

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sexy spyder! You have a 2003 so they say your safe when it comes to precats, however, my opinion no precat is a good precat. Get rid of them while you can. if you don't want to work to remove them, MOST people 2003+ are safe(lol so they say). If you have been lurking I'm sure you know the deal with precats already, if not search tool is your best friend. There's a massive amount of information on these forums for most questions about the car and typically any general question you have has already been answered. Welcome to the forums and enjoy the Spyder!

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
a 2003 low milage (9200) black/black/black SMT in pristine condition.

We're not what you'd call "car" people (not to handy around the auto's...) so any help or advice would be greatly apprieciated!
If you would have come here and checked with us, told us you weren't really "car" people and asked if it was a good idea to buy an SMT, most of us would have told you NO. It has few miles, but people have a LOT of heartache with SMTs. My advice would be to spend as much time as you can stand browsing older posts in the SMT forum.

Either way, it's always nice to see a Spyder in the condition it should be...treated the way it should have been.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My SMT bit it at 1200 miles. The early 03 ECUs had issues - that was corrected in the later build date cars. I've had zero problems with my SMT in the 47000 miles since.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad to see you got your Photobucket sorted out! :) You're car is gorgeous in person and in photos. You've got me on a mission to trade my 2000 in for an 03+. We're hoping for another trip to St. Pete next summer but unless I get a newer spyder or a new engine, we'll be making the trip in another vehicle (too much oil burning on long distance trips).

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
:welcome: Enjoy your car a lot and read a lot here. Then enjoy your car some more. Some people have had problems with their SMTs and others have not. You are in a great place to learn a bunch. I was not much of a car guy when I bought my spyder 2 years ago (a 2003 with 13k on the clock) and I'm still not that mechanical. I have found this place and the foilks on this site to be most helpful. I am grateful. I have had a great time with my Spyder and, like a lot of folks, plan on keeping it (in pristine condition) and driving it until the day I die. What a fun little car. :lol: Permagrin.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Welcome!

Looks mint, and black, nice color choice. Love that 03+ facelift. Keep it classy, San Diego.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been working long and hard, so sometimes I'm a bit slow to reply. (like now)
Hey Victoria, Thanks!, had alot of fun last week(!!) so you guys made it back to Bowling Green ok...
hope you had a great vacation! And Thanks Lushman, we're keeping it Classy(!!) love the black too
(a bitch to keep clean though) washing and wiping 'er down almost daily...but it's a labor of love.
And Joe Schmoe, I do have some SMT concerns...(but of course,) didn't discover spyderchat till after getting Spyder. I did invest in a full coverage extended warranty for some peace of mind concerning major issues. And thanks MCquik, hopefully ours in one of the later 03 models...good to here yours got fixed and is going strong. Hey Uncle Mush, thanks, I've already learned alot here, just planning on driving and enjoying her!! (and keeping 'er pristine too!) And thanks Narcossis, sexy she is!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Welcome and wow invasion of the Spyders in St. Pete...like the picture near the Downtown Pier...hope to see you around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Triz thanks, and yeah I've been seeing alot of Spyders around here in the past month since getting ours! Oh and love the downtown area, and wanted to get a shot in front of the Peir while we still have it. So Gulfport eh, we like to get down there about once a month or so, love all the nice resturants and the fun of first night too. (it's a shame Bellini's closed)
Looks like you have done alot of modifications to your Spyder, what color is it and do you have any pic's? Thinking of making a few small changes, and possible getting custom rims...we'll see. Thanks, Terry.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I think I might have seen you driving down 15th ave S. the other day I honked the horn and gave a quick wave but I was in my dark grey trailblazer you had the top down. I take the occasional ride by O'Maddys and love driving around downtown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts