MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, i bought my spyder in august of 2011, originally coming from a 1987 turbo II rx7 that i built up. After trying autox with it, i found there was no class my car would be competitive without slicks, and because gas prices were rising, i decided i needed a new car. So i looked up potential cars for the Street Tire classes for autocross. I drove an S2k, didnt like it. drove a miata, liked it but didnt like how common they were, played with the non sports car style cars, didnt like them at all. then i tried a spyder and fell in love with the handling. I sold my rx7 to a friend and bought my spyder with plans to build it for STR. Seeing how i finally ordered parts, i think its time to start a build thread, something i forgot to do with my FC. Hopefully i can build my car to compare to two other mr2's in Hawaii with me, the black 2zz on meisters who ive seen post on this forum a while ago but is at every show, and tdm racer, who campaigns his 2 at autocross here in CSP. This will be a relatively slow build, but i think it will be worth it in the long run. soo i uploaded pics to photobucket, but my damn tablet wont let me copy the code so i can post pics...

this was done from a computer lab at UH... in class.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to see pics. To get the code (in photobucket), just click the code. It will say "copied". Make sure you use the "Image Code"

Now my photobucket account looks funny. I've got a picture of photobucket in my photobucket, like one of those infinite loop pictures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice car, looks exactly like mine;)

What short antenna is it?

You're welcome...

regards

Stumpjumper
The car came with this antenna and misc bracing all around that i have no idea what brand they are, i also put my old headunit and a new 2 way viper alarm on it when i bought it. it wont look the same for long though, i already have suspension and studs and lugnuts and rims on the way. probly early next week they should be in. I'm welcome?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i wanted to wait till everything came in before i posted, but pretty much everything is behind schedule. I ordered KW variant 3s, but they are backordered for at least 4 days they told me, i ordered extended studs for the rear since im running my friend's borbet wheels and only the front will fit, and i ordered red NRG open ended lug nuts for the car but the lug nits and the extended studs i have no information on when they will arrive. and finally, a friend is giving me a deal on Volk TE37s in a K car fitment, but hes busy till April so he cant take them off anytime soon. I also have ordered a pair of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for the front pair of TE's and im re using the stock bridgestones on the rear. The star specs came in though. even though i have nothing to mount them on. So sometime next week (hopefully) expect a post with coilovers and extended studs and lugs and borbets, then hopefully in 2 weeks will be a mr2 stanced on TE37s. The problem with living in Hawaii is that you never know when things will ship. also the shipping charge tends to be a pain in the @**.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just wanted to be friendly, did I say something wrong?
lol, I'm guessing you either meant "Welcome [to the club]" or "Thanks." So, are there any cool German/European MR-S sites out there? Always interesting to see what people are doing in other countries.

So i wanted to wait till everything came in before i posted, but pretty much everything is behind schedule. I ordered KW variant 3s, but they are backordered for at least 4 days they told me, i ordered extended studs for the rear since im running my friend's borbet wheels and only the front will fit, and i ordered red NRG open ended lug nuts for the car but the lug nits and the extended studs i have no information on when they will arrive. and finally, a friend is giving me a deal on Volk TE37s in a K car fitment, but hes busy till April so he cant take them off anytime soon. I also have ordered a pair of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for the front pair of TE's and im re using the stock bridgestones on the rear. The star specs came in though. even though i have nothing to mount them on. So sometime next week (hopefully) expect a post with coilovers and extended studs and lugs and borbets, then hopefully in 2 weeks will be a mr2 stanced on TE37s. The problem with living in Hawaii is that you never know when things will ship. also the shipping charge tends to be a pain in the @**.
What wheel/tire sizes are you going to run? For two weeks you may as well skip the Borbets and wait for the TE's, unless you have a hookup on tire mounting, lol.

I ran Star Specs up front but they're so grippy I actually have to worry about oversteer again. Love it.

So how's UH? I'm thinking about transferring to [email protected] (studying Computer Engineering). I might even be able to transfer my job from Blue Shield of CA to HMSA Blue Cross/Blue Shield of HI. I just hope it doesn't cost too much to ship my car with me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, I'm guessing you either meant "Welcome [to the club]" or "Thanks." So, are there any cool German/European MR-S sites out there? Always interesting to see what people are doing in other countries.

What wheel/tire sizes are you going to run? For two weeks you may as well skip the Borbets and wait for the TE's, unless you have a hookup on tire mounting, lol.

I ran Star Specs up front but they're so grippy I actually have to worry about oversteer again. Love it.

So how's UH? I'm thinking about transferring to [email protected] (studying Computer Engineering). I might even be able to transfer my job from Blue Shield of CA to HMSA Blue Cross/Blue Shield of HI. I just hope it doesn't cost too much to ship my car with me.
UH is okay as a school. if you are at a good cali school i would suggest to stay there. i was in bio engineering, but the programs arent very good so i changed to biotechnology because the staff seemed more helpful. i think the TEs are 7 wide because the seller has 205s on there now, and i ordered 205/50/15s for the star specs. My friends borbets have tires on them now and my stock fronts are dangerously bald so im just using them for tires now. was hoping for a call today for at least my studs seeing how this is my last day off till school starts, but if you ever come down to hawaii let me know and i can try show you around or something. let me know if you transfer, you would be the third red spyder at UH, but the other one is bone stock. looks just like my car in the first pics.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nice looking spyder. Not wasting times with the mods huh? lol Its ok, I felt the same way when I first got mine. For better or worse $$$ has kept mine mostly stock :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi thanks, yes that's what I meant.

Main german site is http://www.my-mr2.de. Most of the german drivers have subscribed here. But there are not so many cars of our model here on the road. I think at the moment less than 4000.

Kind regards
Stumpjumper

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rims are on car, coilovers came in. expect pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coilovers and rims are in, but my brakes are nearly shot. looking at ordering powerslot rotors and carbotech ax6 pads next payday, anybody warp non cryo powerslots before? not sure if i wanna pay the extra for a rotor that i might not need. if my wallet gets deep enough ill get SS lines and ATE Blue brake fluid on top of that. When i finally have time to wash my car ill post pics of the new stance. oh and while driving the other day a SRT-4 pulled up next to me and asked me what type of car i was driving. I said toyota and the girl in the passenger seat had the most priceless reaction, she looked like there was no way it could be a toyota. They told me the car was really nice and drove off. it made my day.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'd skip the slotted rotors and just run some cheap blanks. With the lack of weight in the car I found I had issues keeping aggressive pads in their happy heat range. I ran and will be running XP8s when the car is running again.

·
Registered
643 Posts
the powerslot cracks under abusive track driving. was at a shop last week w/ a buddy's S2000 getting work done and the shop owner pointed out the powerslot's cracked rotors on another track S2000. OEM blanks are most likely your best bet between performance and budget.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my paycheck today was a lot better than i expected, so ill probably go cryo, the main reason i wanted the carbotech ax6 is because they operate in a really wide temperature range, as well as the main purpose of the build will be for autox. the reason i wanted a good slotted rotor was because me and some friends enjoy running through a mountain road that between the residential areas takes around 5 minutes for me, though the less nimble cars in our group take more like 8-10... the downhill is so fun that i am hard on the brakes and a rotor that can stay cool is very important for me. ill probably order my rotors tonight unless anyone can point me in a great performing rotor without bankrupting me,college student budgets aren't good for building racecars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry guys, not interested in those, have to order brakes first but carbotech is backordered on the ax6 pads so im just gonna get some cheap ones to throw on the front for now. my car came with pretty much all the bracing ill need, except a roll bar. Im waiting for a PPE Header as this car will be built for STR class in autocross, so i cant be cat less. I will wash the car before work tonight, hopefully ill have some pics up soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i finally got a pic of my car as it is now. enjoy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts