MR2 SpyderChat banner

Gutted pre-cats, now it won't start

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  pwnzor 
#1 ·
I just finished putting the exhaust back together after gutting the pre-cats. It has been apart for a bit over a week. I thought I put everything back correctly. No other systems were worked on.
The complicating factor is that the damn engine cover latch is now stuck shut. I cannot easily check the battery or O2 sensors easily.
The car turns over and cranks quickly but does not seem to for at all.
It was running well before.
I'm looking for ideas on how to easily open the engine cover and wtf could've prevented the car from starting.

#2 ·
This might help you.

#4 ·
Precat removal won’t affect starting/running at all. Battery is definitely worth taking a look at but did you do any other work while in there? Gaskets in place, bolts torqued down, no massive leaks, etc...?

#6 ·
If you didn't work on anything else then the most probable issue is anything you disconnected for the repair. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Did you fool with spark plugs, fuel rail, injectors or anything else that may not have been reconnected? If not then it would have to be either battery or O2 sensors if the issue is a result of the precat repair.

#8 ·
Yes, RFID chip is tied to the immobilizer...sounds like you were trying to start the car with a broken key (which is now a glovebox only key). You can buy a $15 blank key with an RFID chip and have it cut, then program it to the car yourself for free. If you don’t have a second key with RFID then do that ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.