MR2 SpyderChat banner
1161 - 1180 of 1197 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,163 ·
The MR2 has sat for over two months, life has been busy and I never got around to throwing the almost $200 worth of OEM hoses into the EVAP system. However, I drove it today. And it's such a blast. After my Mazda's long clutch throw and soft clutch, the on/off switch of a clutch on the 2 feels so satisfying.

However, it has a new issue. The clutch pedal has long been a bit squeaky but not it's a shriek and there's a rough feeling to the bottom of the travel. And the noise is coming from the engine bay. I'm guessing a bad slave? Could also be a clutch fork pivot point but oh god I hope not.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,165 ·
Lots of tight bends, some hoses have different sizes on either end, and I also got the plastic fuel hose and clip as well as a new vent valve (gasket is already new) and fuel pump cover seal. It was around $170 shipped, for literally everything I could replace there. Considering this is done every 20 years I'm okay with that, it's peace of mind.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The MR2 has sat for over two months, life has been busy and I never got around to throwing the almost $200 worth of OEM hoses into the EVAP system. However, I drove it today. And it's such a blast. After my Mazda's long clutch throw and soft clutch, the on/off switch of a clutch on the 2 feels so satisfying.

However, it has a new issue. The clutch pedal has long been a bit squeaky but not it's a shriek and there's a rough feeling to the bottom of the travel. And the noise is coming from the engine bay. I'm guessing a bad slave? Could also be a clutch fork pivot point but oh god I hope not.
It's the clutch fork. Mine did the annoying squeak but didn't affect performance. Forgot to lube it after 2zz swap..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,170 ·
Yeah I'm a little too low haha.
I took it for a pretty spirited drive. No rub through corners, even high speed, but a bit of rub over bumps. But the dampers are set to full soft basically. I up the damping for autocross. However, we'll see tomorrow! Autocross awaits.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,177 ·
Definitely, RE-71Rs aren't available in 225/45 but I wouldn't necessarily recommend 225/50. It's a little too big looking, and it does throw the speedo off 6.4%.

However, it doesn't cause any driveability issues! I'm going to raise the rear end a bit to make it look better aesthetically but during autocross the setup worked flawlessly. Better than flawlessly.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,178 ·
Autocross went so much better than I could have hoped for!

I was one of the absolute fastest people there, beating Alfa 4Cs, Mustang GTs, WRXs, almost everyone. These tires are phenomenal. The balance is phenomenal. It was an extra tight course so I was hitting the brakes hard, turning in sharp, and hitting the gas to get angle. Sliding almost every corner to great effect. It grips so hard, front end barely washes out, and rear can slide when I need it to.

I did manage to tear out what was left of my fender liner. Hit some cones and it shot out of my wheel well. Was quite funny. I'll eventually replace it, it was already ruined anyway.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,179 ·
Unfortunately I do have a new issue. On a regular drive to the vet, I started hearing a light knock on decel. Then it got worse and worse, and it became a rhythmic knocking on light decel or accel, but when on harder accel or decel it went away. Felt like an axle, as it was wheel speed related and still did it on clutch out. And when you gave it pressure, like accel, it would lock and stop making noise. Well I popped the engine lid and there's axle grease everywhere and a split boot. However, when I crawled under the car I couldn't feel any wear. The "wobble" in the axle when forcing it around by the center was the same as the driver's side, almost none. I removed the tripod end and it looks good, haven't removed the cup end yet as I haven't drained the transmission.

I hope it's just a bad axle and I can swap it out with a used OEM one.

1161 - 1180 of 1197 Posts