MR2 SpyderChat banner
1181 - 1197 of 1197 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have no idea about the axle, but have you considered putting a spacer or something to raise the rear end a hair? That looks like it's way too close to the liner. I think that size is good though, it FIXES the speedo error (Spyder speedo is WAY optimistic) and makes the car slightly better for freeway cruising.

Also I think you're just a good driver lol, the last time I saw you at that AutoX in 2017 you were already putting down great times. Unlike Mr. spin-every-other-run-and-wreck-car-two-weeks-later, aka yours truly.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,186 ·
I have no idea about the axle, but have you considered putting a spacer or something to raise the rear end a hair? That looks like it's way too close to the liner. I think that size is good though, it FIXES the speedo error (Spyder speedo is WAY optimistic) and makes the car slightly better for freeway cruising.

Also I think you're just a good driver lol, the last time I saw you at that AutoX in 2017 you were already putting down great times. Unlike Mr. spin-every-other-run-and-wreck-car-two-weeks-later, aka yours truly.
Yeah I'm definitely going to raise the rear. I'm on coilovers so that'll be easy. I want it to be higher visually to fit the new tires. Also good to know about the speedo being better!

Haha I've greatly improved since you last saw me! Hope to see you at a TrackMasters autocross again soon. It's a good time. The last event of the season is in November and I might bring my Mazda 3 if I can't get the MR2 all sorted by then.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,187 ·
Even though it didn't look like the axle, it was. I put in a used axle and she's good to go. Well, kinda. The brakes tried to kill me. Every time I would brake, at 10 MPH the brake pedal would forcefully pop up for 5 seconds and stop braking... then pop down again and continue braking. Wouldn't happen again while rolling, only once I got up to speed. It felt so much like malfunctioning ABS, so I unplugged the actuator and the issue went away. Maybe I damaged an ABS sensor when removing the knuckle to change the axle?

Either way the bright orange ABS light now joins the bright orange CEL, and I wanted to delete ABS anyway as it tends to kick into "ice mode" when you run super sticky tires. No loss in my book. Got her aligned a few days ago and she's good to go! Clutch still squeaks, though less now.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,189 ·
A lot has happened in eight months. The Mazda is gone, totaled. The MR2 is now the daily. All six rear suspension arms are now Battle Version. I gave her a full two step polish and seal, the paint gleams. The bolts holding the passenger side axle to the axle carrier came loose and fell out, and the axle popped out while driving and dumped all the gear oil all over the road. Had to fix her on the side of the road with a vise grip holding the axle together. The front bumper got pulled partially off in the garage when it got caught on an extension cord, cracking even more paint off. It's been a rough month. I passed 155k miles. 2022 is the year I return to the track.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,193 ·
Bi-annual update time. A lot has happened actually. I detailed the car, two stage polish and two layers of sealant.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

New side markers, clear but retain the retroreflector. New fender turn signals, they're chasing LEDs. Fitment is bad, but they look nice.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

MR2sdays are always a good time.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Sky

New floor mats, since mine were DESTROYED since I got the car eight years ago. They're from MR2 Heaven. Mediocre quality, but they are decent. Had to add a grommet myself.

Outerwear Sleeve Grey T-shirt Font

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Light

Did the upside down spare mod to make room for more stuff for track days. Just threaded the rod down further, then cut the end off.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Car

Hit Thunderhill West for the first time in like five or six years. It was a BLAST, the car performed beautifully. Balance was stellar. Brakes gave out, started smoking and the pads disintegrated. Went from 80% pad life to basically nothing. They were not meant for the track. And then... the fresh axle boot exploded. Literally exploded. This was what was left.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

The rest was simply gone. Drove home two and a half hours and surprisingly the axle showed minimal signs of heat damage and had no clicking. Put on a new OEM boot, but this time with Red Line CV-2 high temp grease. But I did get this amazing photo out of it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Plant

I also got new track brakes. Porterfield R4 pads for the rear and Raybestos ST-43 pads for the front Wilwood calipers at the advice of Joe McGuigan. And bought some race numbers, because the tape numbers didn't stick to my paint sealant.

Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,194 ·
Cont:

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

The next track day was a historic one. The first track night at Thunderhill outside of the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Of course I jumped on it. But as a joke, I decided to add Jeep-like pod lights to my roll bar. It was hilarious. Wired them into the thick gauge hot for my amp.

Motor vehicle Road surface Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Track photos!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Then my alternator died. Voltage dropping, accessories shutting off. Went to Walmart, got a new battery, did one more run on the track because I could not pass up the first night run at Thunderhill. Then went home.

50 miles into the trip, my radio shuts off. Then my interior lights. I turn on my hazards. Those shut off. Ok this is bad. I call my friend who's behind me in a BRZ and told him, the car's done, we gotta get to the nearest gas station. That's 1.5 miles away. He turned on his hazards and we soldiered on. It's HOT but I close my windows because I know that I won't be able to later. The engine starts dying on me... Then my headlights turn off and the engine fires right back up. It's 1 AM, I'm doing 40 down a completely dark highway driving with just the halos lighting up the road. Thankfully those are on a custom circuit and stayed on. I pull into the gas station as the car dies.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Got home safely, that's all that matters. AAA free tow, just over 100 miles but they ignored the extra two miles. Got home around 3 AM. Honestly... that's as successful a track day as one could hope for! Historic event, and the BEST damn photos I've ever seen. Dream accomplished.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

The event was great. No one was really going for personal bests, it was very festive and people had all kinds of crazy light setups. It was a great time.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,195 ·
Since then, I put in a reman Denso alternator and went to an autocross. Had a great time at my first autocross in ages, even though I can't say my driving was great. I was just having fun. Got to drive a V8 Mustang and I'm officially a convert. Unfortunately, the newly rebooted axle started slinging grease. Not sure why, it's coming out of the BIG end of the boot. Like, it's nice and tight, but at high load it seems to sling from a gap between the axle and the boot. The boot is not torn. Very annoying. I'm going to try a new tighter clamp.

I also picked up a 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport as a daily since my MR2 kept breaking. Fun car, very comfortable, Circuit Red interior, and the fuel economy is awesome.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Axle boot may need venting. Maybe ballooning from brake heat. Or ride height too low. Also if adjustable suspension arms then maybe overextended axle.

Reactions: Haloruler64

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,197 ·
Maybe it does need a vent huh? I hear that's an issue. My car is being pushed way beyond Toyota's intended limits, it's on RE-71Rs and race brakes and I'm pushing it HARD. I'll have to look into how to add a vent. It'll explain why with OEM grease the boot straight up EXPLODED.

My ride height isn't all that low in the rear. Raised up quite a bit to clear the big tires. And my suspension arms are at stock length.

1181 - 1197 of 1197 Posts