MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i need some assistance, so my car just got back from its service at the toyo dealer and now the handbrake is not holding that well, it never used to be that great but i managed to adjust it and it held well with no binding, now on my report sheet i see that they adjusted the brakes, so i took it back to them and they checked the car up and told me that one of the cables are seizing. And they dnt have stock of the cable and they wont be able to sort it out, so i came home and then jacked up the car and when i engage the handbrake the left wheel locks up but the right side stays free, is their a way of adjusting individual wheels brake? And whats this about the cable being seized, i understand if it was getting locked and not releasing but it doesnt make sense the other way around.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyo I meant toyota, sorry guys, anyway i removed the centre console and adjusted the handbrake again myself and now its fine, my dad works in the manufacturing plant and knows the dealer managers he laid a complaint cos when i called the dealer they admitted to having an apprentice check my car

But anyway whats this deal about a seized cable? Is it even possible

·
Registered
708 Posts
The seal at the caliper end of old cables often cracks/fails, allowing water to enter. In cold weather, the water freezes, causing the cable to sieze. When it thaws out, it's fine until the next freeze.

I suppose the water could cause corrosion that would eventually cause permanent cable siezure, but I've never heard of that happening.
I have the same seize problem but with the left cable, the ebrake in the spyders really sucks. I live in PR so no cold weather and what I found is exactly what you describe, the seal at the caliper end of old cables often cracks/fails, allowing water to enter, but in my case the seizing was caused by corrosion. I even fill the cable with wd40 to try to loose the corrosion and I was able to move a little bit the cable but not enough, so for now I only have ebrake in the right. The only solution I see is to get new ebrake cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts