MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How I feel right now. Daily driven 03 with 144k miles. Max 9lbs if turbo.

Forgot about injectors and maybe fuel pump for turbo as well. Clutch too for both.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I vote 2zz. A turbo car can be reliable but that is probably more money than what you are willing to spend.

* I wouldn't use ebay parts on a turbo car.

* I would also recommend a professional tuner to tune the ECU.

* ct20b? Why would you use a dinosaur of a turbo? I would get the MWR kit and call it done.

* If you're trying to go cheap, just stick to the 2zz.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I vote 2zz. A turbo car can be reliable but that is probably more money than what you are willing to spend.

* I wouldn't use ebay parts on a turbo car.

* I would also recommend a professional tuner to tune the ECU.

* ct20b? Why would you use a dinosaur of a turbo? I would get the MWR kit and call it done.

* If you're trying to go cheap, just stick to the 2zz.
Nothing wrong with the eBay parts I would use, I've tuned my gen4 3sgte in my mk1.5, ct20b not 100% I was thinking more of a td05 16g/18g, not trying to be cheap but not going to spend a fortune on my daily.

The turbo option would cost a bit more and present more of a headache though, but the power gains would be much higher than the 2zz.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Nothing wrong with the eBay parts I would use, I've tuned my gen4 3sgte in my mk1.5, ct20b not 100% I was thinking more of a td05 16g/18g, not trying to be cheap but not going to spend a fortune on my daily.

The turbo option would cost a bit more and present more of a headache though, but the power gains would be much higher than the 2zz.
If it's your daily, why don't you just leave it alone?

Both the TD05 and the CT20b are archaic. If you're going to make the effort, I would do it right.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

IMHO I believe you get what you pay for with ebay parts, but lets just leave it with that.
I've tuned my gen4 3sgte in my mk1.5, ct20b not 100% I was thinking more of a td05 16g/18g,
Old car old turbo, in a spyder I would use something more modern.

turbo option would cost a bit more and present more of a headache though, but the power gains would be much higher than the 2zz.
a 2zz would be better daily driving. With great power comes great credit card debt :lol:

plus, I wouldn't turbo a car with that many miles....

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should probably stay with the 2ZZ idea, especially since this is my daily. Plus if I have the money later, bump the compression down, gt3071.

I still might get the apexi to squeeze a bit more power out of it, and engage the lift earlier.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I would base the decision on how I wanted the car to drive/perform. IMHO FI and 2zz are different. For a daily driver I find the 1zz to be very good. I don't need to rev way on up there. I don't even mind 4k at 80mph. When I need to git the torque is already there. Pretty good compromise package as is. I will spend the money in gas and lunch on a trip(s).....many trips at that. Or RE-11's

·
Registered
506 Posts
Personally, I don't see the attraction of upgrading to a stock 2ZZ from a healthy and functional 1ZZ. All that cost and effort to make gains purely in the upper end of the rev range. If I was upgrading, I'd want to see gains right across the spectrum (especially so for a daily-driver) and I think turbo'ing the 1ZZ is the best way to achieve that. Of course, if your engine has blown, it would make more sense, or perhaps your state's emissions regulations preclude a turbo.

Quite a nice graphic summarizing 1ZZ , 2ZZ and 1ZZ-turbo can be found here:

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
Personally, I don't see the attraction of upgrading to a stock 2ZZ from a healthy and functional 1ZZ. All that cost and effort to make gains purely in the upper end of the rev range. If I was upgrading, I'd want to see gains right across the spectrum (especially so for a daily-driver) and I think turbo'ing the 1ZZ is the best way to achieve that. Of course, if your engine has blown, it would make more sense, or perhaps your state's emissions regulations preclude a turbo.

Quite a nice graphic summarizing 1ZZ , 2ZZ and 1ZZ-turbo can be found here:
Ha, Florida has no emissions. In fact when I went to tell them about my swap they just said "Go ahead and do it!" Apparently you dont even have to notify them. :confused:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are killing me, I keep looking at the GT28RS at atpturbo with t3 exhaust and v-band out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Starting to add up. Even though the motor has 144k on it, it runs like a champ. I'm the 3rd owner and overall the car is in great condition.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Starting to add up. Even though the motor has 144k on it, it runs like a champ. I'm the 3rd owner and overall the car is in great condition.

thats more like it but I still will add like 1K more cause that engine should need a rebuild already

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats more like it but I still will add like 1K more cause that engine should need a rebuild already
You really think I'd have longevity issues with 7-9lbs? It is my daily but once in a while I do romp on it. Maybe I could put some rods in down the road.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.