MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after much deliberation, I've ordered a single-diagonal HardDog rollbar. It's being made to order, so won't be here for another 2 weeks or so. That gives me some time to prepare for the install and I was wondering if people who had been through with it could please chip in with their advice on how they might do things differently or what they'd do to make the job easier? This will be a solo effort using axle-stands and I have a whole weekend set aside for it.

My main source of an installation guide is from this thread, which appears to be pretty comprehensive.

My main questions at this time are:

- What's the best tool to use to make clean access holes on the underside of the car? I have a 4.5" angle grinder - so just get a cutting wheel for that? What type of sealant did you use to waterproof around the cuts when bending the piece back in place?

- I've heard that one of the trickiest parts is disconnecting the clips/pipes to release the fuel tank. Any special tricks/tools there?

- When trimming the plastics to sit around the bar, what's the best tool to give a nice clean cut. I have a Dremel, so I guess a cutting wheel for that?

- There seem to be a lot of comments about "holes not lining up" when installing this bar and having to enlarge them. Which holes exactly are people referring to?

Thanks a lot - this post might sound a bit OTT, but I really have to get it done in that weekend and don't want any gotchas that cause a delay!

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Fuel hoses were a pain. Don't force them it makes it worst.

Holes don't line up, well for me was because during tightening the legs of the bar "bends" slightly which makes your perfectly good holes before now off. Hard to prepare for that.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
For cutting the plastic, I would use a cutting bit on the dremel. It's the one that resembles a drill bit. After that, hit the edge with sand paper to take off the burrs. The cut-off wheels don't like sharp radius cuts.

·
Registered
617 Posts
- Die grinder for the access holes, and of course Safety Glasses!!! Your's should work.
- Step bit to make holes larger, which makes it easier to line the bolts up.
- Dremel with a carbid grinding bit to elongate needed holes that didn't line up right the first time.
- A whole weekend in case you get frustrated.
- Drive until gas light comes on, so the gas tank doesn't pin you underneath the car. ^_^ Oh and move gas tank for away from the grinder, don't want it to go BOOM!
- Toyota FIPG, sealant from autozone, whatever will work. I sealed the edges of each bracket to prevent any rust from forming.

If the bolt doesn't line up, make the holes bigger. :lol: That's all I can think of right now. It's a fun process. You'll be happy with the end result. If you were closer I would have lend a helping hand.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Holes don't line up, well for me was because during tightening the legs of the bar "bends" slightly which makes your perfectly good holes before now off. Hard to prepare for that.
The only thing you can do is put all the bolts in loosely, then start tightening them. Have fun and enjoy the safety and stiffness!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My main questions at this time are:

- What's the best tool to use to make clean access holes on the underside of the car? I have a 4.5" angle grinder - so just get a cutting wheel for that? What type of sealant did you use to waterproof around the cuts when bending the piece back in place?

An angle grinder with a cutoff wheel should be fine. For the sealant I'd recommend the exhaust leak patches and putty. They sell it as a kit and it seems to hold up pretty well. I originally used a steel epoxy without the mesh and it simply failed.

- I've heard that one of the trickiest parts is disconnecting the clips/pipes to release the fuel tank. Any special tricks/tools there?

Just take your time and you'll be fine. It's easy to get frustrated and when you break one it's not a fun fix. There is a tool for it, but I usually can't justify purchasing something for a one or two time use.

- When trimming the plastics to sit around the bar, what's the best tool to give a nice clean cut. I have a Dremel, so I guess a cutting wheel for that?

Plastics are heavy, weight reduction :p

- There seem to be a lot of comments about "holes not lining up" when installing this bar and having to enlarge them. Which holes exactly are people referring to?

It depends... I do recommend using a tap to chase all the threads PRIOR to installation. I had some issues with coating in the threads which led to some of the bolts being difficult.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

Just take your time and you'll be fine. It's easy to get frustrated and when you break one it's not a fun fix. There is a tool for it, but I usually can't justify purchasing something for a one or two time use.
That sounds like something I need to be prepared for. Can you possibly point out the clips in question so I can maybe grab a couple of spares, just in case?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That sounds like something I need to be prepared for. Can you possibly point out the clips in question so I can maybe grab a couple of spares, just in case?
Step 8. The orange clip can snap if you pull it out too far. So be careful when you're using a flat head to remove it. The black clip towards the front of the car (bottom of picture) is fairly robust, be careful you do not pry against the outside "cage" part as this is thinner and can snap and make sure the "flaps" are clear of the male connector part of the fuel pump assembly before yanking.

Step 9. Since you're using two flat-head screw drivers, it's easy to apply force to one side more than the other. Just be sure to apply even force and you will be fine.

Hope this helps and it really is NOT that bad. Just don't let those little plastic clips get the better of you :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.