MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What software are you using for the videos/ data logging that’s happening, that’s exactly what I want...

Maybe one of these days I can join you guys and we’ll have 3 silver MR2s together lol
You'll need at least an OBD2 scanner (mine was ~$100) and the software I mentioned earlier (post #22; RR3 is $60 for version with no logo on video).

I don't know the next time he'll be around since he's based in GA I think, but let me know when you get the MR-S up-and-running and I'd be up to plan something.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
You'll need at least an OBD2 scanner (mine was ~$100) and the software I mentioned earlier (post #22; RR3 is $60 for version with no logo on video).

I don't know the next time he'll be around since he's based in GA I think, but let me know when you get the MR-S up-and-running and I'd be up to plan something.
On one hand, it's sort of unusual for me to be in California... on the other hand, it was my second time driving the MR2 across the country this year. So, you never know. I'd definitely dig a mini west coast Spyder meet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
With the fires winding down I hit up a familiar section of road to take the car out for a spin. While it was cut short by some road work, this is a an example of an area where the car would get unsettled by slalom turns at higher speeds which is now a thing of the past. I'm liking the look of the Laile diffuser as well, it basically goes as far out as the OEM exhaust pipe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles in Southern California since I was 16.

Azusa Canyon is awesome, and you live pretty close. My last house was in Mission Viejo, 5 minutes away from Ortega Highway.

Seems you know the spots, sounds like you came by a few times in the past. I think I've seen like 3 other Spyders driving in the canyons ever.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

Been awhile since I've last posted, and that's because of the month-long fire situation and not really having any updates of note. Upgrades are in a holding pattern as I have my rear bumper stored away but need to get the exhaust system. I plan to stay 1zz for now so I'll consider the best lightweight options and the muffler will be kept when I eventually go 2zz.

In addition, I'm noticing that brakes would probably be the most helpful and useful thing immediately as I could use some weight reduction and improved brake feel. If anyone has experience going the Wilwood route, I'd love to hear what options to go for a set that will emphasize weight reduction over brake bite, essentially OEM-like bite will do. As it stands I will likely get the front/rear set that MAP sells.

Here's another stretch of road I took, and getting more used to the car with reworked suspension. I plan to take it to Adam's Motorsports Park or Streets of Willow before the end of the year, so it's nice that the mountains are good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Wow, it's been a long while since my last post, but there had been some hold-ups that I'm glad are taken care of. Namely, my battery since I bought the car (2 years old in February 2019) died and while I had been thinking of alternatives, I didn't really know where to go. Credit to @2mAn for being helpful and recommending the Odyssey battery; I mounted in the regular location since I wanted it to be more up top in case I ever need to jump it. 🤞

In any case, if you mount it in the stock location, it's about 3/4th of an inch shorter than the stock OEM battery, and you won't be able adjust the regular battery mount enough to accommodate. Thus, my friend was really helpful and cut a piece of wood to place underneath the battery to make up the difference so that the battery hold-down would do its job.

Next part, we realized that if you position the smaller battery closer to the front of the car with the newfound space (above), you won't be able to get the negative clamp on, so moving it out like below is necessary. It doesn't look like a whole lot different, but that gap allows the clamp to get on.

Having had the battery since January, it's been working really well and with the new battery / bracket being 16 lbs. flat, that means a weight savings of 12 lbs.

Moving on, I also finally installed the new roof brackets @Snelbaard had made. If you check the thread, a couple people with initial orders reported fitment issues, my installation process with his brackets were smooth aside from a bolt that shattered from the OEM side bracket... Anyhow, I previously had a front bracket installed from Rogue Motorsports, and you can see how the 4-point attachment is not at all comparable to how Snelbaard does his. Also, it's a lot lighter! I should have weighed, but it's a difference you can definitely feel when holding them in your hand.

(Rogue Motorsport front roof bracket; outgoing)

(Snelbaard front roof bracket; on now)

Here are what the side brackets look like, just note you'll have to make adjustments to the seat belt plastic panels:

Lastly, I put in some NGK spark plugs since I don't remember ever replacing them since I got the car. I never had problems, but figured it's a cheap thing to do.

With the front bracing now in, I plan to take it to some autocross and track events since I feel better about how the hardtop is mounted. I have also been doing some more canyon drives, here is one from this Monday:

Lastly, I have been considering that as I do the 2zz swap that almost every MR-S undergoes, I wanted to keep my engine, transmission, and exhaust system to put it in a roller/donor car. Anyone have experience or know how to go down this road? There's no timetable, but figured I wouldn't be getting my money if I sold the stuff anyways, and would be fun to have one where it's open top exclusive since this one has everything bolted in. Let me know your thoughts, and take care.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The holes are not so much slotted, but they are over-sized. Think of it as being slotted in all directions simultaneously, so there is adjustability.
Whenever I make a hole too big, I will forever refer to it as being slotted in all directions simultaneously for adjustability....come to think of it my tweeter hole on the passenger side was unintentionally slotted for excess adjustability, then glued into place to ensure a lack of continued adjustability.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
Whenever I make a hole too big, I will forever refer to it as being slotted in all directions simultaneously for adjustability....come to think of it my tweeter hole on the passenger side was unintentionally slotted for excess adjustability, then glued into place to ensure a lack of continued adjustability.
I will also be borrowing this phrase in perpetuity.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Haven't posted in a bit, thought I'd share the updated rear bumper & crash bar combo from a recent canyon drive, and you can see some more pictures I posted in the other thread where I inquired about whether I should keep the rearmost heat shield installed. Having done more driving, it's been fine to proceed as I have previously.

With the updated bumper, lightened battery, and crash bar, the weight is down 17 lbs. bringing it to 2195 with a half tank of gas (2212 last time it was weighed). Below are what the more aggressive settings look like. The performance is great, just a little stiffer on bumpier roads than I'd like. I'm going to ride it out and see how this feels with softer tires (i.e., Yokohama A052).

Having gone out for a ride in the canyons recently, I took a couple of pictures:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
...The silver imho is by far the best color for the MR2!
I always wanted this car in silver. Granted, it's the most common color, but it goes well with the many metallic colored wheel options, and can also help mask how ridiculously huge the headlights are. Here are some more pictures of it around town, but I felt this thread needed more pictures of the rear bumper.

Also, here's a picture of the reduced weight (down to 2195 lbs.) after the most recent corner balance (and with a half tank of gas) in case someone wants to audit my earlier weight saving claims :cool:. Getting under 2200 with all the bracing components I have on makes me feel pretty good. I can still go lighter brakes, flywheel, exhaust, windows/windshield, and seats, and also remove the AC and head unit, so there's still ways to get it lower. Interesting to note that for all the mods this car has, the head unit has never worked, though that hasn't ever bothered me.

Having taken the car out a couple times now, the suspension feels great on smoother roads, and especially at higher speeds. In my most recent outing, I ran into a fellow MR2 and got to cruise for a little bit (first video). I'm not sure if it's just me or maybe the road is smoother on the way back, but I'm thinking I keep these settings if the newer tires feel a little softer.

In the next week I'll be putting on some UV coating on the windows so the car will keep the same greenhouse look, and won't cook me any time the sun is out.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.