MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do spyder hardtops get stolen alot? I know the miata/s2000s are big victims of the crime but what about spyders? I dont see alot of mr2 spyders so i figured maybe the demand isnt as high? But u can never be too safe.

If any of ya'll have a diy anti theft lock for your tops, feel free to share. Im currently looking at talon locks that retail over $100

·
Registered
840 Posts
Never heard of such a thing... doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. I'm curious to see other's responses to this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't heard about anyone's hardtops ever being stolen. If you're concerned about just the hardtop getting stolen, the thief / thieves would need time, light, and familiarity to unscrew the front and side roof brackets from the inside. I think they'd have to get the defroster wire also. Not that I have any experience stealing cars, but it seems enough of a pain that it's not a worthwhile proposition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It happened to someone down SoCal in Alhambra as well. Hardtop are getting expensive and I was looking into buying those locks as well.

edit: location made more clear

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Wait, so stealing hardtops is actually a thing now? Are these locks legit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although the mounting hardware set costs about $600 on midship garage, its something theives dont really have to care about. As far as i know, the clamps in the front and sides are the only things that are holding the top down. Obviously because of this, locking your car and closing the windows is a must.

I haven't heard about anyone's hardtops ever being stolen. If you're concerned about just the hardtop getting stolen, the thief / thieves would need time, light, and familiarity to unscrew the front and side roof brackets from the inside. I think they'd have to get the defroster wire also. Not that I have any experience stealing cars, but it seems enough of a pain that it's not a worthwhile proposition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess so... happens to miatas and s2k's alot. I was talking to a guy at my local coffee shop and the dude was nice enough to offer to buy them for me first and i can pay him back later. Faith in humanity restored

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah theyre legit. Theyre compatible with miatas as well. You basically have to replace the front strikes on top of your windshield with the base plate. Then the cover slides onto the base plate. The set comes with a little screw with a key hole that you use to secure the cover with. It prevents the latches from unlatching when its locked. Pretty good design imo. Im definitely buying a set

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yeah theyre legit. Theyre compatible with miatas as well. You basically have to replace the front strikes on top of your windshield with the base plate. Then the cover slides onto the base plate. The set comes with a little screw with a key hole that you use to secure the cover with. It prevents the latches from unlatching when its locked. Pretty good design imo. Im definitely buying a set
Well, I hope you get them and report back so we can see. I'm not a big fan of tubular locks that are easier to bypass (ball point pen trick) than a traditional key but something is better than nothing. My HT never comes off anyways.

If I caught someone in the act of stealing my HT I'd beat them to death and gladly do the time.

·
Registered
864 Posts
$150 hardtop lock $2500 hardtop. It doesnt take much math to see this is a good investment. Insurance wouldnt pay 2,500 for a stolen hardtop. I didnt lock my hardtop in my garage because it was never on my car so I just sold the top. Buyer now wants to buy the lock which is a good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts