MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a hardtop from mike v
Should I gut my convertible top or keep it installed with the hardtop?
I plan on installing hard dog roll bar is it compatible with the soft and hard top
Any pic would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've ordered a hardtop from mike v
Should I gut my convertible top or keep it installed with the hardtop?
I plan on installing hard dog roll bar is it compatible with the soft and hard top
Any pic would be appreciated
It depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Are you turning it into a track monster, and trying to keep the weight down? If so, I would gut the soft top. If not, I would keep the soft top intact. It's nice to have the convertible as an option. As far as Harddog's website is concerned, they say it will work with the hardtop and soft top, but hopefully someone with both will chime in.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/spyder.htm

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I love having both hard top and soft top. We often drive to the coast with the hard top on and then once we get there, we remove it and store it where we are staying so we can drive around and enjoy the Califiornia sunshine topless. Ahhhh, life is good. If we need to put the soft top up for security or to protect the car from the elements (fog, pine needles, bird crap, etc), the soft top goes up -- no problem. Then when we are ready to go home we just put the hard top back on.

I love having the flexibility to run with or without the hardtop.

The hard top makes for a more quiet ride, seals out the rain (without having to worry about whether or not the drains have been cleand and whether or not the storage area is going to flood) and decreases body flex. The soft top? Well . . . it's just fun!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Are you turning it into a track monster, and trying to keep the weight down? If so, I would gut the soft top. If not, I would keep the soft top intact. It's nice to have the convertible as an option. As far as Harddog's website is concerned, they say it will work with the hardtop and soft top, but hopefully someone with both will chime in.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/spyder.htm
I plan on making it a track monster but I still drive it locally once or twice a week
I currently have brass shifter bushing , short throw shifter , RSTB cusco, Che header
Corkys FMB breastplate and the rear member brace and beat rush under panels
Front and rear , I'm waiting on the hardtop and devs bushings and install tool
And key whole covers, kick panels and a console from rexy
Just waiting on the mail
My dd is 2003 silverado 1500hd 4 door

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I plan on making it a track monster but I still drive it locally once or twice a week
I currently have brass shifter bushing , short throw shifter , RSTB cusco, Che header
Corkys FMB breastplate and the rear member brace and beat rush under panels
Front and rear , I'm waiting on the hardtop and devs bushings and install tool
And key whole covers, kick panels and a console from rexy
Just waiting on the mail
My dd is 2003 silverado 1500hd 4 door
Well then I guess it depends on how much 50lbs means to you. I have been told that is how much the soft top assembly weighs. I know VAGperformance on here gutted his, but he also gutted almost everything that wasn't necessary for a track car. Me, I like to have all of my creature comforts lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well then I guess it depends on how much 50lbs means to you. I have been told that is how much the soft top assembly weighs. I know VAGperformance on here gutted his, but he also gutted almost everything that wasn't necessary for a track car. Me, I like to have all of my creature comforts lol.
I want to keep it looking stock as far as the interior goes

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
There are two types of hardtop owners:

1. "I wish Toyota would have made another hardtop MR2. I bought this thing because I get Toyota reliability and mid-engine handling dynamics... and hey, I love MR2's just like my old mk1--I would buy another one of those, but I really want a newer and nicer car."

2. "There is nothing like driving with the top down--sunshine on my face, and wind in my hair--I feel alive and happy to be out for a drive. I love the Spyder and I love convertibles."

If you are owner-type #1, you still need to consider that you are drastically reducing re-sale. But if this is a long-term relationship and you don't mind limiting your options, gut away. But you will likely never take the top off--you now own a coupe.

If you are owner-type #2, don't even consider it. The hardtop is easy to remove, but not always easy to store. And you WILL have some pop up shower emergencies requiring quick soft top use. Most in this camp have a hardtop in play 3-6 months out of the year (winter), and likely store it and use soft top for the remainder. In FL, I have the hardtop on through our hot and rainy summer months and then I take it off and only use the soft top for emergencies for the rest of the year (I park in a garage).

$.02, ML

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There are two types of hardtop owners:

1. "I wish Toyota would have made another hardtop MR2. I bought this thing because I get Toyota reliability and mid-engine handling dynamics... and hey, I love MR2's just like my old mk1--I would buy another one of those, but I really want a newer and nicer car."

2. "There is nothing like driving with the top down--sunshine on my face, and wind in my hair--I feel alive and happy to be out for a drive. I love the Spyder and I love convertibles."

If you are owner-type #1, you still need to consider that you are drastically reducing re-sale. But if this is a long-term relationship and you don't mind limiting your options, gut away. But you will likely never take the top off--you now own a coupe.

If you are owner-type #2, don't even consider it. The hardtop is easy to remove, but not always easy to store. And you WILL have some pop up shower emergencies requiring quick soft top use. Most in this camp have a hardtop in play 3-6 months out of the year (winter), and likely store it and use soft top for the remainder. In FL, I have the hardtop on through our hot and rainy summer months and then I take it off and only use the soft top for emergencies for the rest of the year (I park in a garage).

$.02, ML
Lol funny, my husband is type 1 and I'm type 2!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Lol funny, my husband is type 1 and I'm type 2!
Me 2! I do love the way the car looks with the hard top on. I pretty much want to have the hardtop on any time I am looking at it or taking pictures--and no top any time I am in it and it is not actually raining... although, I have found that you can still drive in light rain with the top down if you go fast enough:) (the windshield actually directs the rain past you--pretty cool).

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'd love to get a HT, but the only thing that prevents me from doing so is the cost/benefit ratio:

- my Spyder is a 3 season car (spring/ summer/fall) and is stored in the winter, plus it's a recreational car (not my DD). I really don't have the space in the garage for it with the Spyder, my bike, and the wife's car. For $2500 or so, it might become an attractive ornament in the garage.

Of the above, I'd consider myself a Type 2 driver.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think it's actually the aerodynamic that's causing the rain droplets to not come inside the cabin when at speed. The rear wind deflector creates an eddy current that pushes incoming air upward. Works similar to a truck's tailgate.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I plan on making it a track monster but I still drive it locally once or twice a week...I want to keep it looking stock as far as the interior goes ...
These two goals say "don't buy a hardtop".
If you give up the stock interior wish, then you could drive locally with a hardtop and simply lift it off for autocrossing. The interior looks pretty ugly with the ragtop removed.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I'd love to get a HT, but the only thing that prevents me from doing so is the cost/benefit ratio:

- my Spyder is a 3 season car (spring/ summer/fall) and is stored in the winter, plus it's a recreational car (not my DD). I really don't have the space in the garage for it with the Spyder, my bike, and the wife's car. For $2500 or so, it might become an attractive ornament in the garage.

Of the above, I'd consider myself a Type 2 driver.
I love having the flexiblity of both hard top and soft top. Below is a picture of how I solved that problem of storage in my garage.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nice set up Mush!

·
Registered
466 Posts
LOL! I, too, have the "tennis ball" gizmo in my garage. For the hardtop, I bought the UK bag that hangs on the wall. Not as neat as yours but it works.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
LOL! I, too, have the "tennis ball" gizmo in my garage. For the hardtop, I bought the UK bag that hangs on the wall. Not as neat as yours but it works.
I actually looked into purchasing the bag and hard top stand that sometimes comes up for grabs on eBay in the UK. Like the hard tops themselves, very reasonable prices in the UK but the shipping was gonna kill me. The shipping was more expensive than the parts. . . . just like a hard top. :lol:

Still, I have no regrets, what so ever. I absolutly love the hard top in 1DO on the 040 body. By the way, Mike V. is an awesome vendor to work with. I bought my hard top from Mike and the product, the speed and the service were impecable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I was worried about hurting resale value when I took mine out, but I don't regret it. Gutting the soft top gives you LOADS of storage space. My girlfriend and I can go on vacation and bring backpacks + duffle bags + extra coat + favorite pillow and still have room to bring back souvenirs/etc. Not to mention my bazooka sub.

The interior looks fine even with the soft top removed, IMO. You can leave the rear carpet in place. Only the sides will have exposed metal. I originally got stick on felt from the fabric store just to protect the metal from my subwoofer, but it actually looks pretty nice.

I originally left the plastics + rear shelf in place, but I realized that it was less convenient having them there - the shelf ate up storage space. I removed all the plastics and shaved the brackets off the center bar. No more wind deflector, but I bought a tonneau cover to use if I leave the roof at home.

Also, +1 for Mike V. He took great care of me when I purchased from him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts