MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning folks, I need to top off, or maybe if i feel like it/flush my ps fluid (120,000 mi. 2003). While reading about the fluid on this board i am aware it requires Toyota Electro-Hydraulic fluid that is getting hard to come by. Has anyone seen or tried the Nissan fluid in the link. It is a fraction of the cost and is available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-999MP-EPSF00P-Electric-Steering/dp/B00AKYOZ48/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420979333&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Nissan+EHPS+power+steering+fluid It clearly states Electro-Hydraulic fluid. I read the pentosin EHPS is a big no-no. Side note: My parts man at my local toyota stealership told me to use any fluid which i almost did until i started reading into this. Could have been a costly mistake.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I bought the expensive Mr T fluid and changed it out just yesterday. It only takes 1/6 of a can to refill the reservoir after draining. I'm not sure how you'd flush the whole system including the rack - repeatedly flush the reservoir, or disconnect the return and let it pump itself dry?

As far as fluid, it's got to run through the pump and keep it lubricated, with it's tiny little vanes. Plus be compatible with the seals in the rack. I'm far from an oil expert. Is there much variation in oils that would cause seals to swell or fail? It sounds reasonable that they'd be compatible. Maybe PLEBIAN will run a spectrographic analysis on it for us???

I'd recommend removing the pump and blowing out the motor-brush crud, while you're messing with the fluid. Removal only takes about 15 minutes. (I removed the pump from my second spyder this morning and did exactly that) You can inspect the commutators and see how much life you got left in the motor too.

The "don't use pentosin" caution I saw was directed at SMT fluid - another subject entirely.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I'll gladly donate a fresh sample of Toyota EHPS fluid if someone wants to have it analyzed against the Nissan fluid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes it is...

It's $37 for a can that you can use 6 times. Is it really that hard to find and order? Is this really a gold mine finding a replacement fluid?
I've followed every link to it posted on this site, and every link I've found via google. I haven't found it anywhere for less than $60 with shipping.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Toyota fluid

Well, if turns out like the special SMT/HPU fluid, there will be a cheap alternative. I was thinking the Prestone asian ps fluid might work. It says in the BGB, "or equivalent", and the Prestone bottle says for Toyota and others. Has anyone tried this?
I'm waiting for a response on another site to see what those people think; there's also a chemist on there thats helped me in the past I'm hoping to hear from.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I decided to check this on Amsoil.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/power-steering-fluid/multi-vehicle-synthetic-power-steering-fluid/?code=PSFCN-EA

I looked a bit further down and it showed this
  • Toyota PSF Type EH; P/N 008886-01
I was just looking into this! I ran across a thread where this guy Alex contacted Amsoil and convinced him to use the Amsoil synthetic universal PSF. This sounds like the same stuff.
It's funny I was just looking at the commercial sales list and saw Triz sold Amsoil. Hey, if you can get ps fluid, what about an equivalent for our SMT fluid? I wonder if it'll show a type of brake fluid?
Thanks for finding the info; saves us some trouble.
I wanted to add: On the thread I was viewing it also showed the last three digits missing from the part number; any idea why the 206 is missing?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I was thinking the missing numbers 206 might be specific to the MR2 spyder so on a hunch I went to the garage to look at a can of SMT fluid. Guess what the last three numbers were?
Yep, 206!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went to my local dealer to obtain more EH power steering fluid for my second Spyder and was told it had been discontinued. In spite of me telling him that it was very special and came in a unique silver can he proceeded to try to sell me regular PS fluid until he read on that label "not for use in MR2 Spyder."
On a broader issue I wonder how long Toyota will support parts for the MR2. When a unique part like the pump for the electrohydraulic steering goes out I suppose I'll be searching the net for salvage yards. To me there are few cars more fun to drive than my Spyder including the real Boxster 2015 S I went for a test drive in yesterday. Somehow I don't know if I could enjoy the Dragon as much wondering if I might slide into a tree in a 60K CPO Boxster S vs a 10 - 15K used Spyder. You don't need that much speed on the Dragon but oh does the Spyder love the curves.

I would appreciate any input as to what a Spyder owner is to do. Someone suggested buying several Spyders to use as parts backup but my neighborhood covenants would not like that idea too much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
16 Participants
mztykal
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing