MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I just used whatever autozone sells. It's been sitting in the power steering system for nearly two years now as my car made it's best paper weight impression in my garage space. If my power steering doesn't fail this weekend, then it's probably safe to say that it is safe.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I just ordered amsoil psfcn-ea to replace the EH fluid which is probably from 2001. Got my fingers crossed as I came up empty for the Toyota EH.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I just placed an order with them. I had tried twosRus and ToyotaPartsDeal. I was allowed to place an order with Toyota only to get N/A a day later. In the past when something was out stock I would just get a message "on order". I did have a different experience with the 1ZZ short block in that MWR is able to get them when the dealership said no longer available. We shall see what happens. The rumors are not positive.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Be aware that many places won't ship this fluid due to them considering it a hazardous material.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I am aware of that and the fee for shipping hazardous material is steep also. You need to make it count when it has to be paid.

I may stop by the local dealerships and see what they come up with, probably ATF:)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had someone at the dealership try to tell me to just use the regular power steering fluid. He said if he ordered the EH fluid they would just send him the cheap stuff anyway and it was just the same stuff. I told him that if it didn't have that part number listed on the bottle then he couldn't prove it was the correct part and then he would be responsible for repairing my steering system. I finally convinced him to order the correct part number. Eureka! When it arrived it had the correct part number and was different than the generic stuff he tried to sell me earlier. He doesn't work there anymore.

I was at the dealership today and asked a friend in the parts department if he could still get the fluid. He looked it up and said it was still available.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
It should be available at any Toyota dealer. Did you look up the correct part number?
08886-01206

Looks like about $36 for a can.
http://www.partznet.com/oe-toyota/0888601206
They refuse to ship chemicals, liquids and refunded, amazing! Scared of a lawsuits I guess or they make to many mistakes. Other companies have no problems shipping hazardous materials. I wonder what the data sheet says about the contents of the liquid. Looks like local only and see if they know EH 08886-01206 and not generic. I have read many times about this. I will see Saturday and hopefully all goes well! I much prefer to use the proper fluid and I suspect I am remiss in maintaining this one.

·
Registered
939 Posts
They refuse to ship chemicals, liquids and refunded, amazing! Scared of a lawsuits I guess or they make to many mistakes. Other companies have no problems shipping hazardous materials. I wonder what the data sheet says about the contents of the liquid. Looks like local only and see if they know EH 08886-01206 and not generic. I have read many times about this. I will see Saturday and hopefully all goes well! I much prefer to use the proper fluid and I suspect I am remiss in maintaining this one.
Shipping hasmat at is simply a cost factor. Should not be a problem.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Shipping hasmat at is simply a cost factor. Should not be a problem.
I am very aware of that. I have suffered the hazmat fee a few times. The Toyota dealerships will not ship or don't have it.

I just got back from my local Toyota dealership, Bill Page well actually Alexandria was my last stop. I had the part number and Bill Page looked it up without issue. Zero stock, zero stock in his listed warehouses. He looked up other dealerships for stock. The computer stock listing showed one can in Alexandria and two cans in New Jersey, the next closest dealership with stock. I asked for two cans to be ordered. They would not transfer between dealerships. So I purchased this can of gold, apparently soon to be unobtainium, from Alexandria Toyota. The Amsoil universal came in last night also.

It doesn't look good from my experience.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am very aware of that. I have suffered the hazmat fee a few times. The Toyota dealerships will not ship or don't have it.

I just got back from my local Toyota dealership, Bill Page well actually Alexandria was my last stop. I had the part number and Bill Page looked it up without issue. Zero stock, zero stock in his listed warehouses. He looked up other dealerships for stock. The computer stock listing showed one can in Alexandria and two cans in New Jersey, the next closest dealership with stock. I asked for two cans to be ordered. They would not transfer between dealerships. So I purchased this can of gold, apparently soon to be unobtainium, from Alexandria Toyota. The Amsoil universal came in last night also.

It doesn't look good from my experience.
so what's the verdict on the amsoil since toyota EH is nowhere to be found?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
16 Participants
mztykal
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing