MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased an mr2 spyder and I noticed that there was some oil leaking near the head gasket. I wiped it off to try and see if it would appear again and it sure did. Could someone give me a diagnosis and determine if this is a head gasket leak or a valve cover gasket leak?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Head gasket is way lower than that--- it's between bottom and head. What you have oil sipping from is valve cover

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1 valve cover. Your head gasket is lower in between the top/bottom end of the engine. New valve gaskets are like $25 - $35. I’ve got the same leak, already have the new gasket in hand & planning on changing it out in the spring.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
94 Posts
Good Morning!

I have a tiny leak as in the front right corner of the motor that likes to weep at the packing seal(s). In case you need any help finding the parts I made this little guide when approaching it.

Parts:
Valve Cover Gasket - Toyota (11213-0D040)
Seal Packing - Toyota (08826-00100)

Assemblage:

Final thoughts; The seal packing is expensive from Toyota and it doesn't give a volume. You might ask a veteran for an OEM replacement for quality and quantity. I was wondering the same thing before looking into the Torque specs of the PCV valve (might as well replace at less than $10)

Cheers,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 valve cover. Your head gasket is lower in between the top/bottom end of the engine. New valve gaskets are like $25 - $35. I’ve got the same leak, already have the new gasket in hand & planning on changing it out in the spring.
Do I need anything else other than the valve cover gasket? And should I get an OEM valve gasket, or would a third party one be fine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I
Good Morning!

I have a tiny leak as in the front right corner of the motor that likes to weep at the packing seal(s). In case you need any help finding the parts I made this little guide when approaching it.

Parts:
Valve Cover Gasket - Toyota (11213-0D040)
Seal Packing - Toyota (08826-00100)
View attachment 80975

Assemblage:
View attachment 80976

Final thoughts; The seal packing is expensive from Toyota and it doesn't give a volume. You might ask a veteran for an OEM replacement for quality and quantity. I was wondering the same thing before looking into the Torque specs of the PCV valve (might as well replace at less than $10)

Cheers,
Is the seal packing a must in order to stop the oil leak, or is it optional? If so, can I use Toyota seal packing 103 (FIPG) as an alternative? And does my valve cover gasket have to be OEM?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Seal packing is a must. Without it you will have large oil leaks. The annoying part is that, for all its cost you only use a few dabs of it. Unecessary things, but worth looking at while you're there is the condition of the plugs/coils.

I don't mean to discourage you but if you were confused between the head gasket & valve cover gasket I would hope you do some research on what goes into removal & reinstallation before you buy anything. It's an exceedingly simple job but even something stupid like not cleaning the mating surfaces, overtorquing the valve cover bolts, etc will make it a headache in the long run. Once you place the packing you only have a few mins of a window to get the cover in place. Be sure to use a torque wrench on reassembly as well

My plan is to paint mine when I do the job, thats why I'm waiting for warmer weather. I can hardly wait to degrease the engine bay and have it stay clean.

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seal packing is a must. Without it you will have large oil leaks. The annoying part is that, for all its cost you only use a few dabs of it. Unecessary things, but worth looking at while you're there is the condition of the plugs/coils.

I don't mean to discourage you but if you were confused between the head gasket & valve cover gasket I would hope you do some research on what goes into removal & reinstallation before you buy anything. It's an exceedingly simple job but even something stupid like not cleaning the mating surfaces, overtorquing the valve cover bolts, etc will make it a headache in the long run. Once you place the packing you only have a few mins of a window to get the cover in place. Be sure to use a torque wrench on reassembly as well

My plan is to paint mine when I do the job, thats why I'm waiting for warmer weather. I can hardly wait to degrease the engine bay and have it stay clean.
Gotcha. And for the cover gasket itself should I go with the OEM one or would a third party one do just fine?

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
94 Posts
Gotcha. And for the cover gasket itself should I go with the OEM one or would a third party one do just fine?
You need the gasket and the packing (I linked both parts in previous post).

Go with OEM quality for motor sealing, any price saving isn't worth the headaches you are already facing. OEM got you this far for $25 this one will last until they outright ban the sale of combustion engines (2030).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts