MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I have a 2003 MR2 that I bought used. Appears previous owner replaced muffler (and possibly header & Cat ???) with Magnaflow muffler (runs crosswise with 2 chrome tips on either side of car...not in center of car).

Problem: existing header has developed a crack and needs replaced. I can't dertermine which header to buy that will still work with the incumbent Cat pipe and Magnaflow muffler. I am guessing that previous Owner may have replaced the header when he added muffler (and Magnaflow Cat).

Is there a way to determine what header is installed today and where to order? I do not want to weld new or change configuration as it works great. Just want header replacement. Pics or names greatly appreciated. Magnaflow does not seem to sell headers? PA State Inspection is running out so I need to determine repair path. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Not sure what is meant by "incumbent Cat pipe" but if it is OEM or OEM style, the header could be stock or look like this:
Automotive lighting Tool Composite material Bicycle part Automotive design

These are aftermarket headers to replace the pre-cats and there are many suppliers on eBay

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Background: I have a 2003 MR2 that I bought used. Appears previous owner replaced muffler (and possibly header & Cat ???) with Magnaflow muffler (runs crosswise with 2 chrome tips on either side of car...not in center of car).

Problem: existing header has developed a crack and needs replaced. I can't dertermine which header to buy that will still work with the incumbent Cat pipe and Magnaflow muffler. I am guessing that previous Owner may have replaced the header when he added muffler (and Magnaflow Cat).

Is there a way to determine what header is installed today and where to order? I do not want to weld new or change configuration as it works great. Just want header replacement. Pics or names greatly appreciated. Magnaflow does not seem to sell headers? PA State Inspection is running out so I need to determine repair path. Thanks in advance!!
I will bet that the header cracked because the lower bracket (to the block) was not installed, or it broke. Whatever you get, make sure you can brace it to the block (like the OEM) or it will eventually fail in fatigue (unless you never drive it hard). I have had good luck with cheap aftermarket headers as long as they are made from 304 SS. Be sure to use the Toyota gaskets, not the ones that come with the headers. Also use heat shields the things you want to protect from heat radiation (or the headers), but do not wrap your new headers.

Dave

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you have a 2000-2002, purchase the 2003-2005 lower brackets that are cast, much stiffer, and have 2 bolts on the engine side. The original stamped ones have been superseded by the later cast ones anyway.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
I have never seen a header crack that takes more than five minutes to weld up with a TIG. What's the big deal here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts