MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my oil today and I realized that I never put the upper heatshield back on the headers (ever since I gutted the cats a year ago).

Would it be wise to put these back on? I've already read into the various reasons why it is there in the first place (hotter header gasses exit quicker, protects cabin from heat, prevents brush fires, cooler engine bay, covers up rusty headers). Or is this all negligible?

I have also removed the hard-to-clean "lid" directly under vents of the engine bay hood.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I was checking my oil today and I realized that I never put the upper heatshield back on the headers (ever since I gutted the cats a year ago).

Would it be wise to put these back on? I've already read into the various reasons why it is there in the first place (hotter header gasses exit quicker, protects cabin from heat, prevents brush fires, cooler engine bay, covers up rusty headers). Or is this all negligible?
If I had a gutted stock manifold, I'd definitely reinstall the heatshield.
I'd use stainless steel bolts & anti-sieze compound, as well.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would not say its negligible especially because the intake box is right next to the headers. Headers radiate extraordinary amounts of heat. Putting the heatshield back on only has benefits with zero drawbacks. If you have trouble fitting it on the che header just dremel/drill the holes out on the heatshield where it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have stock headers so the bolts line up. Trouble is, I'm not sure what I did with the bolts.

Sorry to work you OldMan - but would you happen to know what size SS bolts to use? Are these a Mr. T only size?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Thanks, I have stock headers so the bolts line up. Trouble is, I'm not sure what I did with the bolts.

Sorry to work you OldMan - but would you happen to know what size SS bolts to use? Are these a Mr. T only size?
They're normal metric bolts.
There's nothing special about them.
Sorry, I don't have the sizes.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I got my bolts straight from Mr T. for 5 bucks. I wanted the aluminized ones so that it didn't contrast with my freshly painted heatshield and the old ones had discolored. A fresh coat of aluminum colored exhaust paint works wonders on the heatshield, you may wanna do it before you put it back on. Really cleans up the engine bay if yours has started to show rust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts