MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... this is probably way to premature to show... but, I don't want to wait until after the car is painted... so...

I bought a set of mrSonly's Abflug style headlight garnishes (eyelids / eyebrows / eyeliner... whatever). They're a fiberglass knockoff of the real things... decent quality and fit. But, I'm obnoxiously picky and I didn't like how they appeared thicker or misaligned with the body curves. I wanted something thicker than a vinyl sticker... but, thinner than mrSonly's pieces.

I found a local car graphics shop ( www.drivingforcegraphics.com ) that made domed plastic decals... kind of like what you see in the center of our steering wheels over the logo. The look is really cool... natural curved edges (much like the rolled edges of our body panels.

So I asked them if they'd ever made headlight brows from this stuff... and they hadn't. So, I asked if they would... and they did. $100...

These are high-tac adhesive vinyl decals (black for my car) overlaid with the domed plastic (semi-soft plastic). About as thick as our body panels. And they're paintable.

I was hoping they'd be smooth as a baby's butt (or sheet metal)... but, they had a few waves and blems. They test sanded another domed decal that had already cured... they sanded it with 600 grit and it works.

So... next step... Have them painted when I paint the car. That's the part I hate... Waiting!

Here's how they look so far. (please ignore the mega rock chips)... I'll take more pics as I progress...

The domed surface decals prior to install

Installation:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I hear GB.....
Hah...Yes. Darren at Driving Force saved the template we created... so he can cut as many as anyone wants. Happy to plug his shop... they do great work and they're car enthusiasts to the max! http://www.drivingforcegraphics.com

Nice...you've done more mods here in just a few weeks than many of us have in years. I like the covers.
Thanks Erdoc! I first learned about the search functions... Then lurked... Then modded :D

Nothing like showing up on the scene and rockin out one innovative mod after another! Do you think they will be durable as far as UV and weather?
Well... We don't know for sure. But, the domed decals have been around for a long time... and these are getting painted... and the vinyl under them sticks on mega fast boats and cars... so... I'm going with yes (hopefully) ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I usually dislike eyelids, especially the ones for our car...with that being said that looks really good!

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
Someone get this guy a doctor, hes experiencing a serious case of moditis! Cant wait to see whats next!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Steve, great work again!
I had a similar thought to use the domed decal to do the TBL cover because it looks more integrated...but I never even thought about using it on the headlights.

After seeing the results of yours, I am sold on the idea.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like all the mods you have done but this one.IMO all eyelids look stupid.Don't stop now.You have a lot of good ideas.
Thanks, sh4branze

I usually dislike eyelids, especially the ones for our car...with that being said that looks really good!
Thanks, ManOnTheMoon

Someone get this guy a doctor, hes experiencing a serious case of moditis! Cant wait to see whats next!
Thanks, triz. I can tell you that it's subtle body mods before paint. Okay... maybe some not so subtle. :D

Steve, great work again!
I had a similar thought to use the domed decal to do the TBL cover because it looks more integrated...but I never even thought about using it on the headlights.

After seeing the results of yours, I am sold on the idea.
Thanks, Rev. I agree... the domed decal for the TBL would look 100% more integrated.

I'm anxious to get these painted with the rest of the car... but, I have more work to do first. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those eyelids look sweet! I liked the thought behind eyelids before but just did not like how they did not fit flush, which you have resolved!
Wow! Nicely done. I can't wait to see the next mod.
Thanks guys... Putting together the next mod now. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.