MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Underneath my driver's side headlight there is some condensation or water spots. It is underneath the plastic, so I have no idea how to get them out, any ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There is a thread about baking your lamps to pull the lens off. Try seaching for that. I've never tried it but it looks like it works. Just be careful doing so...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeez, that sounds like quite the project. I'd be nervous as hell with them in the oven. Plus, what would you use to seal them back up afterwards?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
3 years ago I just drilled an extremely small breather hole near the bottom. This works great. If you are in Seattle, not so much.

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, thank you. I will try that at some point. I wonder if that would be a good time to try to restore the headlights too with a buffer o.0

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ahh, thank you. I will try that at some point. I wonder if that would be a good time to try to restore the headlights too with a buffer o.0
If you buff out the lens seal them afterwards, the top layer of the lens is meant to block out UV rays. Buffing will remove this layer and within a couple of months you`ll be back were you started.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Are you sure it isn't just hazing of the lens cover?When I first got my car I thought mine were fogged up on the inside but just needed a polish/restore.I have had mine apart before and it was not that hard to do.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
If you buff out the lens seal them afterwards, the top layer of the lens is meant to block out UV rays. Buffing will remove this layer and within a couple of months you`ll be back were you started.
I restore mine every 3 months.I have read that the lenses can be sprayed with a clear coat to keep them looking nice longer.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I restore mine every 3 months.I have read that the lenses can be sprayed with a clear coat to keep them looking nice longer.
I had brought mine to a bodyshop a friend recommended, they restored mine and sprayed them afterwards. My car spent it's life in florida and they had been previously done without sealing. They spent a couple of hours trying to buff them to like new but could'nt get all the yellowing out, the sun had dammaged them too much. Ended up adding a small amount of tint in the sealent. I recently installed new headlights and the car now looks new!! They claimed if done properly from the start they can be polished to look new and last.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Are you sure it isn't just hazing of the lens cover?When I first got my car I thought mine were fogged up on the inside but just needed a polish/restore...
^^ This is almost always true

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it isn't just fog. It looks like actual water drips, but look like they are under the lens.

The previous owner let it sit in a garage for a few years without ever driving it.

What kind of sealant would be best?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts