MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Could be something of concern, but I'd start with making sure your battery is good with clean terminals, plenty of water and a good ground. Also, if you tend to drive at low RPM, you might be working your alternator a bit harder than normal vs. the load you're placing on the charging system.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree, when braking and the RPM's drop off it's mostly running on the battery at that point. Start there, check everything associated with it. If you don't find anything wrong, have the battery load tested.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I checked the negative battery terminal to engine block resistance with my digital ohm meter and it was .5 which is probably about right because of the resistance in the ground wire. The negative battery cable connector terminal was slightly loose so I tightened it. Both negative and positive connectors and terminals were clean and didn't need cleaning.

I then checked the battery water level and it was low. I added a little over a pint of distilled water so that was probably the problem.

I also checked the voltage of the battery posts and that showed 12.29 volts. Then I started the car and measured the voltage at idle and got 14.25 volts which should be about right.

I looked at the serpentine engine belt and didn't see any cuts or issues with it and it seemed to be tight.

Much thanks to the people that helped me figure out the problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Corrected

After adding distilled water to the battery the problem completely went away. No more headlight dimming now.

Thanks for all the help pinpointing this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.