MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... the shield is off while I wait for my new cat pipe from Monkey Wrench.

I got a wild hair and got out some rattle cans of high temp paint and...

I ordered some new bolts from Toyota as well, since the original ones were super crusty and they were cheap enough to not bother with cleaning up the old ones. I'm thinking I might paint the heads of those red as well

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You better use stainless steel bolts if you don't want rust.
New bolts will have the heads painted... hopefully that will prevent it.

If something happens and that doesn't work out, then I'll get some stainless ones to put in there. It's an easy thing.

My parts arrive tomorrow, looking forward to getting the car back maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks fantastic - where did you get the graphic from, I would love to copy you (if you don't mind)?

MR2 MK3 2002 Sutton in Ashfield, UK

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it off the internet . It was kind of small, so I used GIMP to increase the dots per inch and made it into a .gif file which my daughter sent to her Cricut machine and made a transfer sticker.

I went at the shield with my 4 inch grinder using a medium polishing wheel to get all the rusty bits off. In the smaller spaces I had to use a wire brush. Got it all shiny, then cleaned it using some paint prep spray. Using VHT paint, I painted the whole shield red, several coats and let it dry. I put the sticker on, then painted over the whole thing in black, several more coats. Then peel out the sticker and clear coated it several times. I scaled it to 4 inches wide by 3.261 inches tall

Here's the file I used, be sure to post a picture when you're done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got it off the internet . It was kind of small, so I used GIMP to increase the dots per inch and made it into a .gif file which my daughter sent to her Cricut machine and made a transfer sticker.

I went at the shield with my 4 inch grinder using a medium polishing wheel to get all the rusty bits off. In the smaller spaces I had to use a wire brush. Got it all shiny, then cleaned it using some paint prep spray. Using VHT paint, I painted the whole shield red, several coats and let it dry. I put the sticker on, then painted over the whole thing in black, several more coats. Then peel out the sticker and clear coated it several times. I scaled it to 4 inches wide by 3.261 inches tall

Here's the file I used, be sure to post a picture when you're done.

Thanks so much for the info and the link.
I cleaned up and painted my heatshield earlier this year using high temp black paint and replaced the bolts with steel.
I don't have a Cricut but was thinking of using the file as a template and rattle canning in red.
The car is under cover at the moment due to the poor UK winter so this will have to wait until spring.
I will post the result of my attempt in Spring.

MR2 MK3 2002 Sutton in Ashfield, UK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts