MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n girls , thought i would post up and say hello , my name is Steve and i'm currently in the process of converting my 2003 roadster (or spyder as you guys know it) to 2zz , i will be doing this in two stages,firstly 2zz n/a and then turbo, as i already have the turbo conversion parts from my 1zz turbo.
Anyway, here is my project thread on ROC (roadster owners club) over in the UK , please have a look and feel free to comment good or bad,if i'm doing something wrong then i'd like to know :lol:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38503

Hope to speak more to you guys as the project progresses :cool:

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ann, i know you have seen these pics already but for the SC members here is where we are at with the 2zz engine at the moment, should be removing the 1zz tomorrow :cool:

B)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well what a busy two days over at the Spitstop, after a late start on Monday (i slept in doh :oops: ) work began on taking my car apart to remove the 1zz , to our surprise we didn't encounter too much drama and bolts we expected to be seized solid were not :)

Here we are mid strip

After disconnecting all the pipes and pulling the wiring loom to the ecu through into the engine bay we lowered the engine and box onto the floor and pulled it out from underneath the car

And then removed the gearbox to reveal the ACT clutch 8)

Whilst the engine was missing i took the chance to clean the engine bay as it was filthy

We then set about removing the wiring loom from the 1zz and fitting it to the 2zz, all the plugs fit perfectly apart from three wires which needed to be added to the loom for the lift OCV and lift oil pressure sensor. Ste removed these from the 2zz loom and we added them to the 1zz one,Ste had a clever idea of using some old O2 sensor outer sleeving to run the wires down the outside of the 1zz loom,looks very stock 8) We then fitted the clutch and gearbox which was tough but got there in the end :lol:

So with the 2zz motor ready to fit we slid it under the roadster ready to bolt the mounts in place

This went fairly straight forward as we lowered the body down to meet the engine so as not to need an engine hoist.
We then set about plumbing the 2zz in and connecting all the plugs etc, and fitting the 2zz manifold. At this point we took the roadster cat to a local exhaust fabricator to have an O2 bung welded in just where the pipes go into one,the 2zz only has two O2 sensors, a main one and an after cat one.

After collecting the modified cat pipe we fitted the rear end panels back onto the car and the rest of the exhaust system,the gaskets supplied with the manifold were rubbish but all i had so i will replace them shortly.

At this point we changed the oil filter and fitted my greddy sandwich plate then filled the engine with oil and coolant and removed the EFI fuse to prevent the injectors from working whilst we cranked the car over to get oil pressure. A few cranks and the oil light went out showing all was good.
The fuse was replaced and with a single crank the engine coughed and spluttered whilst the fuel rail got pressurized and then settled to a steady fast idle :bounce: after a few minutes running the idle started to fall to a more normal level and we had a check around for leaks etc, completely dry underneath but a whiff of fuel above. On checking the fuel rail we discovered a tiny leak on injector 3 ,so after letting the engine cool we pulled the rail and replaced the top sealing ring on injector 3 then refitted it all, success no more leaks 8)
At this point (Tuesday evening) we took the car for a little local run to test it, all seemed fine with no nasty smells or noises. Shortly afterwards i set off home from Ste's place, a 60mile journey mostly motorway ,the car was faultless giving smooth power and feeling very similar to before except more powerful. The trip home was spent with the window down and radio off listening and keeping an eye on gauges and warning lights but there were no issues at all, even obdII was happy with no codes being shown :bowdown:
So there you have it, two days to drive in 1zz and drive out 2zz :shock: using hand tools (and one impact gun).
I can't thank Ste enough for firstly allowing this to take place at Spitstop and secondly for all his help and advice during the conversion without which i likely wouldn't have taken the job on :bowdown: :bowdown: and also a huge thanks to the other guys who have helped along the way including but not limited to Nic wabbitkilla ,PeteT,John T, the guys at Charlesworth and the corolla club guys who came over to Spitstop at various times during the conversion, thankyou so much :D
Now anyone want to buy some used corolla parts ? :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Joe, very pleased with it so far, only had one code P0450 which i think is connected to my lack of charcoal canister,removed the solonoid valve that controls it and cleared the code,so far it hasn't come back. Other than that no leaks or problems and drives very well :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gotta find a place to work on my spyder!

None of this is rocket science. I'm gonna drive bone stock until I find a place or a way to perform the work I want done on my toy. I will send out porting and lower end rebuilds due to time and experience constraints. But, I'd rather do the work myself.

·
Registered
322 Posts
can you please confirm how you got rid or P0450 and exactly what ECU you are using.
That code means the ECU has not got the pressure signal it expects from the vapor pressure sensor fitted in the tank. that suggest you have used a US market ECU
UK market cars may not have that feature
the solenoid removal is a different thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.