MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I bought Che's loyus style exhaust and gutted my precats and bought 3 new O2 sensors two upstream and one down stream.

After gutting the precats and installation of the exhaust I only change the two upstream O2 sensors and forgot about the down stream one.

I got my car back from the body shop and while driving home I notice that I had a check engine light. I then realized that it could be that I didn't change the down stream O2. I changed the down stream O2 two days ago and have been driving on it after I had pulled off the negative battery cable to reset the error codes. I also cleaned my MAF too and changed my spark plugs to be on the safe side. I bought all OEM things to replace everything except the Che's exhaust.

This morning while driving I get the check engine code again and will use my OB2 to see what code trigger. Ever since I installed the exhaust and gutted the precats the is a metal grinding smell now is this normal? The smell should go away right? Maybe the welds of the exhaust and the precats are burning off the PB balster since I had srpayed a crap load to losen the bolts.

Any advice would help

Thank you

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
Your probably have a smell for the first few days pretty normal for breaking in and gutting. As far as the code get it read at Advance, Autozone etc. I find the 02 sensors are pretty sensitive once you pull them out. Get the code first then come back and let us know.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Even if no code: Might as well let the engine relearn to the new components. One way to reset the ECU is battery out and door open for some hours.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
First: no, second: yes. But the good news is that you've got some spare sensors, if one fails !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys!

I disconnected the battery stood on one foot and quacked like a duck.

Drove for 4 days and finally a code came up

P0440
Evap emission control system malfunction

How to fix this?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Well, no... first try tightening the gas cap and driving for a few days to see if the code disappears. No emergency with a P0440, unless you are headed for inspection.

If you changed one part, and then an unrelated code appears, odds are decent something got bumped or disconnected in the process. Or it could be a coincidence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.