MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at two 2005 MR2s. This is a small community, so I'm guessing many of you will already be familiar with them.
  1. Light Metallic Blue with tan leather, 42,000, SMT, $16,000.
  2. Black on black leather, 81,000 miles, 5-speed manual, $12,700.
Both of these are dealer cars, but these are my out-the-door prices. Based on looks and lower miles, I might favor the blue car. But over $3k difference and a trouble free stick shift, I'm inclined toward the black one.

Help me choose?
Thanks, Jeffrey

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm looking at two 2005 MR2s. This is a small community, so I'm guessing many of you will already be familiar with them.
  1. Light Metallic Blue with tan leather, 42,000, SMT, $16,000.
  2. Black on black leather, 81,000 miles, 5-speed manual, $12,700.
Both of these are dealer cars, but these are my out-the-door prices. Based on looks and lower miles, I might favor the blue car. But over $3k difference and a trouble free stick shift, I'm inclined toward the black one.

Help me choose?
Thanks, Jeffrey
I forgot to say that, the blue car for sure has no LSD. The black car didn't mention it, and I forgot to ask, but probably doesn't or they would have said.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think any manual cars came with factory LSD, but agreed with phats, I would go with the black one

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Give me the vin of both and I will make a educated recommendation and I will check my list on the two cars and give you dealer and port options.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Give me the vin of both and I will make a educated recommendation and I will check my list on the two cars and give you dealer and port options.
I will do that as soon as I have a moment and also have time to sort through my messy papers. But going by the "01A" on both doorjambs, I do not hold out hope for LSDs. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I will do that as soon as I have a moment and also have time to sort through my messy papers. But going by the "01A" on both doorjambs, I do not hold out hope for LSDs. :)
LSD is not that big a deal. Had a car with SMT - bad news - nothing but problems!!! Strongly suggest going with the manual black car.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I BOUGHT THE BLACK MANUAL! Thank you, everyone, for your assistance making this decision. Poor blue SMT didn't get one vote, but I think everyone knows why. A couple of observations as I obsessed my way through sports car fever:
MR2s and S2000s are skyrocketing in price.
Porsche Caymans and Boxters can still be had at semi-reasonable prices, assuming you have the money, skills, or own a dealership to do the maintenance and, god forbid, repair. I didn't have those qualities in sufficient abundance, or foolishness, to pull that trigger.
A personal revelation: I grew up driving MGAs and Austin-Healeys. Most recently, I owned an RX-8 and a 370Z. I am returning to my roots, so to speak, with the MR2: light, agile, not especially powerful, and financially accessible grin machine.
Thanks again, folks. ;)

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Congrats, jf!

Reactions: jeffreyfranz

·
Registered
3,621 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That's right, phattires, those are the obvious two.

·
Registered
2003 Spyder
13 Posts
Wow that black one is a minty beauty! The ad write up was worthy of a good laugh... "This MR2 is a smart choice for someone looking for luxury, comfort, practicality, and safety at an affordable price. This fuel efficient commuter has a beautiful exterior with a roomy and luxurious interior."

Luxury, practicality, safety? Maybe the salesman confused it with another car.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I didnt get to vote. 162 black in 2005 and 43 paradise blue but some have tan and some black so it makes the cars a bit more unique. The SMT with low miles would give you many years of driving pleasure and you would have cruise control too. I have a stick and SMT and like both of them equal. You got a fair deal on the black car and it appears to be a nice car. BTW it does have the limited slip option so 01a on the door jam is a bit odd and the blue car doesnt have that option. Another weird thing about your new car is the car came originally with cloth interior. May be owner or dealer added but not normally added after the order sheet is done by Toyota. Welcome to the 2005 club, I sold a red and black 05 and bought two grey ones. I like grey. Enjoy

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think black is the worst spyder color (admittedly I don't like yellow). I only say that because black hides all of the lines of the car. Now having said that...I own a black MR2 & I would have picked MT over SMT any day of the week unless the difference in price was enough to facilitate a complete manual conversion. Good luck with the car & enjoy it

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didnt get to vote. 162 black in 2005 and 43 paradise blue but some have tan and some black so it makes the cars a bit more unique. The SMT with low miles would give you many years of driving pleasure and you would have cruise control too. I have a stick and SMT and like both of them equal. You got a fair deal on the black car and it appears to be a nice car. BTW it does have the limited slip option so 01a on the door jam is a bit odd and the blue car doesnt have that option. Another weird thing about your new car is the car came originally with cloth interior. May be owner or dealer added but not normally added after the order sheet is done by Toyota. Welcome to the 2005 club, I sold a red and black 05 and bought two grey ones. I like grey. Enjoy
Sorry you didn't get to vote, and I liked your remarks. Yes, I was tempted by a pretty Paradise Blue w/Tan leather, SMT and Cruise for driving from Central CA to south of LA when visiting my mother. However, I realized that I'm really buying this car for local driving--canyon carving and runs west to the ocean. I thought that, probably, the MR2 was not at its best on long freeway drives and stop-and-go through So Cal traffic. (Though I did see one poster here who drove his MR2 from Atlanta to LA and back, TWICE in on year, with his dog (cute dog).) I have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra automatic for that purpose (no fun at all but reliable and good MPG. So, that's how my thinking evolved. I thought, "Why do I really want this car?" And the answer was to drive it like my '58 MGA! So, the Black car won, I saved $3300, and I'm getting it shipped for free. The stars aligned.
Sorry for the lengthy post.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just to let you know, the blue SMT car was for sale by the original owner on CL in the bay area, asking $11,500. The ad disappeared within a day, and it was listed by the dealer not more than two days later... with their special dealer pricing :rolleyes:
I don't think they even bothered to wash it.

I agree, the price on the black car was very fair, especially form a dealer.

BTW, @leepear according to my research there were only three (3) 2005 Paradise Blue / tan leather SMT Spyders sold in USA. So that is a very rare build.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts