MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i want to replace my non-functional head unit for something that actually works. I want to stick with the double din setup problem is im not sure what to pick. Im not looking to spend more than $700 and i would like something that i can connect my samsung galaxy s2 and play all my tunes from. Do u guys have any recommendations? Iv listed a few that iv had a look at.

Sony AVX72-BT $650: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...&productId=8198552921666304970#specifications

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH $600: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P4400BH

JVC KW-AVX840 $650: http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028781&pathId=133&page=3

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a question. Why do people (not just you) put DVD players in these cars? I have a dvd player in my minivan for passengers (still rarely used), but in this car I have never understood why. Is it for show? Is it for gps? A garmin does just as good, and can be stored away from the sight of thieves. All for a fraction of the price. I would hope you wouldnt be trying to watch while driving, and the whole watch it parked thing is stupid IMO. I would much rather be inside watching my 65". There was one in my spyder when I bought it, I ripped it out the first day. I have the basic jvc double din cd player, and that is plenty for this car. I would much rather listen to the turbo, and my giggling passengers anyway. Sorry rant off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yz007
I have a question. Why do people (not just you) put DVD players in these cars? I have a dvd player in my minivan for passengers (still rarely used), but in this car I have never understood why. Is it for show? Is it for gps? A garmin does just as good, and can be stored away from the sight of thieves. All for a fraction of the price. I would hope you wouldnt be trying to watch while driving, and the whole watch it parked thing is stupid IMO. I would much rather be inside watching my 65". There was one in my spyder when I bought it, I ripped it out the first day. I have the basic jvc double din cd player, and that is plenty for this car. I would much rather listen to the turbo, and my giggling passengers anyway. Sorry rant off.
I hear what u saying. Im not looking to watch dvd's in my car and specially will driving, but i must admit its a nice thing to have and why not. I like the fact that a double din dvd player makes the cabin look neater with less buttons present. Unfortunately not all of us have a turbo to listen too, as good that must sound.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I hear what u saying. Im not looking to watch dvd's in my car and specially will driving, but i must admit its a nice thing to have and why not. I like the fact that a double din dvd player makes the cabin look neater with less buttons present. Unfortunately not all of us have a turbo to listen too, as good that must sound.
Hopefully you have a hardtop, and an alarm. IMO a regular one looks clean.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

That is the exact unit that I have. Once I upgraded the s/w, bluetooth works flawlessly. It has room for 400 contact phone book, and a couple of other contact lists. It plays bluetooth audio as well from your phone. I use the Aux input to connect to Sirius. Quite the bargain for less than $200.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
go cheap with a scion ipod ready plug nplay unit i dig mine ialso have sirius sat radio thru this head unit

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I like my Eclipse AVN2210p. You don't get ANY support from Eclipse OR TomTom, but it works overall.
The original price was pretty high, but this one is quite a deal (not me nor do I have any knowledge of the seller, I was just tempted to buy a backup).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECLIPSE-AVN...PS_Devices&hash=item41622ecf1e#ht_2446wt_1164

The 3.5" tomtom unit is removable and usable as a portable device (except that my battery is next to worthless now). For this seller, you will need to get a 2gig SD card and obtain the local maps, plus perhaps the GPS antenna. There is an ipod adapter, and a front usb plug.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
go cheap with a scion ipod ready plug nplay unit i dig mine ialso have sirius sat radio thru this head unit
I have an Scion T1806 head with an AXXESS AIP TOY03 IPOD/AUX interface to connect my Droid to the head unit using a 1/8"-to-1/8" cable from the headphone jack to the interface. I stream Pandora, IHeartRadio, and Navigation through the speakers. Surprisingly, I can also use the set-up for hands-free phone calls. Works for me, even though I readily admit it is hardly the most sophisticated set-up.

Rich

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Pioneer unit I bought from a friend of my son. I was looking for a unit and he was selling his. Not the newest model and doesn't have the bluetooth, etc.

My thoughts on a touch screen, 2 din DVD unit -

Pros - sound quality is better than stock, especially with the new Polk speakers, more source options, looks nice in dash, display colors are adjustable to match stock, radio receiver seems better than stock, and many others you get just by replacing the stock unit including ability to play DVD's - I did not over-ride the parking brake lock out for playing DVDs in motion

Cons - hard to see screen in sun with top down, having a physical knob or button to utilize while driving is better than having to look at the screen to change channels or bands or sources, more attractive to being stolen than stock unit?, my coffee cup is always in the way of what i want to access on the screen, with the buttons or knobs on one side of the unit, you can avoid this issue,

All that said, I would still have replaced the stock unit, just for the better quality sound and the price from my son's friend was only $100.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would go with Pioneer as I tend to feel that they make better products than Sony and JVC in the mobile electronics area.

I have an Eclipse with DVD navigation, no problem with the screen being bright enough with the top down on a sunny day. The unit has a tilt function so it is fairly easy to read with a quick glance, I have had it for over 5 years now and absolutely has no problem with it distracting me from driving safely. I find the Navigation very useful and *knock on wood* never had any problems with theft. IMO, the unit looks stock when turned off so the would-be thieves would just pass it by.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
If you have a brand new Galaxy I'd say grab a nice high quality basic head unit, something with a cd slot and bluetooth, mount the phone in the cabin, use its display for gps/music/etc, enjoy the 500 dollars you saved.

-Spargo

ps if you want to be real thrifty depending on your amp setup you might be a few cables away from just using the phone as your sound system. Hardwire a power cable and do it all nice, I personally almost never use radio or cd anymore, my head-unit basically only adds some EQ settings and a volume knob

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I actually quite like what uv got there, what model is that? Im swaying to get something like what uv got ther and rather save some cash and upgrade my split system while im at it. Apline's or focals?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I actually quite like what uv got there, what model is that? Im swaying to get something like what uv got ther and rather save some cash and upgrade my split system while im at it. Apline's or focals?
Mine is the kw-xr610. It has a usb and audio jack up front. I picked mine up at best buy on clearance for like $130.00 IIRC. Mine doesn't have bluetooth (but I can get an upgrade module) You can get the one with bluetooth already for $174.00 shipped at amazon.com. Oh and don't worry about the picture showing purple lights, you can change the colors of the display and buttons to many different colors/combos.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KW-XR810-Watts-Dual-Receiver/dp/B003EO8UNI

My car had alpines in it (can't remember the model) they always sounded muddy to me. I replaced them with Polk Dxi 6500. They are $199 on crutchfield, but I think I got them cheaper at best buy.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBKnRx...io-DXi6500.html?tab=detailed_info#details-tab

The factory tweeter hole will need to be enlarged to fit the polk tweeter. Here is a pic of it installed.

KillaBSpyder did a great write up of installing this set.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...dio-DXi-6500-Install&highlight=polk+component

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is the kw-xr610. It has a usb and audio jack up front. I picked mine up at best buy on clearance for like $130.00 IIRC. Mine doesn't have bluetooth (but I can get an upgrade module) You can get the one with bluetooth already for $174.00 shipped at amazon.com. Oh and don't worry about the picture showing purple lights, you can change the colors of the display and buttons to many different colors/combos.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KW-XR810-Watts-Dual-Receiver/dp/B003EO8UNI

My car had alpines in it (can't remember the model) they always sounded muddy to me. I replaced them with Polk Dxi 6500. They are $199 on crutchfield, but I think I got them cheaper at best buy.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBKnRx...io-DXi6500.html?tab=detailed_info#details-tab

The factory tweeter hole will need to be enlarged to fit the polk tweeter. Here is a pic of it installed.

KillaBSpyder did a great write up of installing this set.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...dio-DXi-6500-Install&highlight=polk+component
Its decided . . . im getting the JVC kw-xr810 its got bluetooth and its well price imo. How difficult was the install? did u need a harness or something, i assume its not a straight plug and play affair.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I got the install kit for free with the radio when I got it from Crutchfield. It was pretty straight forward, once I got a rounded off bolt out of the damn mounting bracket on the OEM unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts