MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping that someone can help me in relation to my weird steering. The only way i can describe it, is that the steering feels heavy and lumpy but sometimes i can still feel the P/S. It doesn't always feel like the P/S isn't working. If i turn the steering wheel round an island, it stays in the position so i would just keep going in that direction if i didn't move it back. Sometimes it moves back a little bit but instead of being smooth like the P/S is working it feels like it moves in chunks. I changed the P/S about 18 months ago (second hand) and sometimes i can feel the P/S so i'm not sure it would be the pump. I have had the balancing and tracking done. Its been to the garage three times and they say they can't find anything wrong with it and that its just a guess whether its the pump or steering rack. I, of course don't want to buy parts if it isn't that! Any ideas ...please ....

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Did they use the correct, very expensive EHPS steering fluid? Is the reservoir overfull?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they use the correct, very expensive EHPS steering fluid? Is the reservoir overfull?
I'm unsure what they used when they fitted the second hand pump but i have taken it too the garage and they checked the P/S fluid. It was on minimum level so they checked the computer and topped it up with something beginning with 'D'. It wasn't expensive though, it said it was a alternative to the Toyota P/S Fluid.

Someone thought it might be the steering rack because i can still sometimes feel the P/S. Its not heavy enough all the time for the pump to have gone, i don't think anyway..it doesn't feel like it did when the pump went. Its also much worse/heavier to turn right than left. Mind you, turning left is still a b**ger! Thanks

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
From my understanding there is no alternative for the correct fluid. Also if they filled the P/S reservoir to the top, above the MAX line then they have damaged the pump. The fluid needs to be EHPS fluid, not just a Toyota compatible fluid. Most Toyotas DON'T use EHPS P/S fluid.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I'm unsure what they used when they fitted the second hand pump but i have taken it too the garage and they checked the P/S fluid. It was on minimum level so they checked the computer and topped it up with something beginning with 'D'. It wasn't expensive though, it said it was a alternative to the Toyota P/S Fluid.
Thats because they do not know anything about this car. Your second pump might be on its way out because of this blunder. Good luck :lol:

I've had a bad rack before but my symptoms were only on high speed turns.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check the pump motor commutator, it could be on the way out. It's an easy check and would eliminate one possibility in case it looks like this:

Mine had the same synptoms you are discribing,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the pump motor commutator, it could be on the way out. It's an easy check and would eliminate one possibility in case it looks like this:

Mine had the same synptoms you are discribing,
Hi
Thank you all for your help...i took it to another garage and its the steering knuckle joint. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts