MR2 SpyderChat banner

HELP...steering is weird

580 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Emma05 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping that someone can help me in relation to my weird steering. The only way i can describe it, is that the steering feels heavy and lumpy but sometimes i can still feel the P/S. It doesn't always feel like the P/S isn't working. If i turn the steering wheel round an island, it stays in the position so i would just keep going in that direction if i didn't move it back. Sometimes it moves back a little bit but instead of being smooth like the P/S is working it feels like it moves in chunks. I changed the P/S about 18 months ago (second hand) and sometimes i can feel the P/S so i'm not sure it would be the pump. I have had the balancing and tracking done. Its been to the garage three times and they say they can't find anything wrong with it and that its just a guess whether its the pump or steering rack. I, of course don't want to buy parts if it isn't that! Any ideas ...please ....

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Did they use the correct, very expensive EHPS steering fluid? Is the reservoir overfull?
I'm unsure what they used when they fitted the second hand pump but i have taken it too the garage and they checked the P/S fluid. It was on minimum level so they checked the computer and topped it up with something beginning with 'D'. It wasn't expensive though, it said it was a alternative to the Toyota P/S Fluid.

Someone thought it might be the steering rack because i can still sometimes feel the P/S. Its not heavy enough all the time for the pump to have gone, i don't think anyway..it doesn't feel like it did when the pump went. Its also much worse/heavier to turn right than left. Mind you, turning left is still a b**ger! Thanks

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Check the pump motor commutator, it could be on the way out. It's an easy check and would eliminate one possibility in case it looks like this:

Mine had the same synptoms you are discribing,
Hi
Thank you all for your help...i took it to another garage and its the steering knuckle joint. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.