MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... this year my next big thing for my car is either a supercharger kit or turbo or a 2zz.... my budget 5k to 6k at most.... (hopeing) I want to have atleast 200hp to 220hp. Does anyone here know where I can get the kits/parts/from? and or a shop that can do the install??? any help would be great... so far, I've contacted Jackson racing for the Rotrex supercharger..... my 1zz is bone stock. thanks!

,Robert

·
Registered
553 Posts
Supercharger thats custom fabercated for that price range, forget about it. Custom turbo, if you can't weld and tune, again forget about it. A turbo kit yes. 2zz, maybe. Stock swap for swap without other mods and tune won't get you to your goal.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
jrsev_03: do you plan on bypassing emissions laws via via friends with connections?
That's what I'll have to do if/when I go turbo (BLF or MWR kit)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm well under 6000 dollars, and I paid a local shop to weld my hot side piping. Why do you think a custom setup can't be done for 6000?
Without knowing how to do some of the stuff yourself I don't think under 6 is possible because of the rates the shops in my area charges per your. And it sounds like the OP has limited skills and knowledge on hand. You on the other hand knows how to mock something up and knows what you need to get there so the price should be different.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
so... this year my next big thing for my car is either a supercharger kit or turbo or a 2zz.... my budget 5k to 6k at most.... (hopeing) I want to have atleast 200hp to 220hp. Does anyone here know where I can get the kits/parts/from? and or a shop that can do the install??? any help would be great... so far, I've contacted Jackson racing for the Rotrex supercharger..... my 1zz is bone stock. thanks!

,Robert
Robert it's great you are going turbo however I think it's a good idea to buy a complete kit from MWR or TurboKits as they are proven designs and they come with the management and support. I also think they are reasonably priced. I would also highly recommend that you do the install yourself for the very basic reason that you know how to fix a problem should something very simple get's disconnected or unplugged. Adding a turbo kit is not that difficult and you can do most of the work yourself. Having support for a proven product is probably the most important thing and I imagine the cost of a complete kit in some cases would be less expensive considering they vendor gets the parts at wholesale where as you will be paying full price for everything.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
jrsev_03: do you plan on bypassing emissions laws via via friends with connections?
That's what I'll have to do if/when I go turbo (BLF or MWR kit)
This what I am researching... I don't plan on removing anything with the emission part. the only thing I see that I might have to remove is the pre-cats(which are no good anyway). I'm curious if it will pass smog with a turbo or supercharger....???

INSTALL MYSELF??? hmmm.... I really really want to do it myself. I'm just afraid to because I've never seen or had any car that had a kit. Thats why I've been looking at pictures a lot lately to see how the lines are run and stuff....

so guys, can I run my car with the BLF kit with stock bottom and head?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Listen to Dev!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm curious if it will pass smog with a turbo
I bugged some people here with that question. The answer is no because of added electronics. For example, silversprint mentioned: The OBD-II port needs to work. If you use a PowerFc you won't be able to connect it to the smog machine.

so guys, can I run my car with the BLF kit with stock bottom and head?
You modify your oil pan. If you email BLF they will give you the installation instructions with a lot of pictures.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Before you spend any money whatsoever, first thoroughly educate yourself as to what you're going to face in terms of emissions testing requirements. And I don't mean getting a couple-dozen half-ass opinions from guys on the board. Get on the Internet and research - IIRC, the CARB and/or BAR out there in Calif. And if that leaves you with any questions, go seek out the authorized people who can give you the real skinny. Building a solid foundation of facts will help you to avoid an expensive dead-end street - or at least let you know the problems you're going to have to find a work-around for.
The second issue comes into play if you find some sort of back door to get around the emissions testing challenge (like having some good friend who knows someone who can pass you, or registering the car in an area that doesn't test). When the time comes that you want to sell the car, that can be a real hurdle to get over if the buyers don't have access to a similar ways to get around the rules.
The long and short of it often is to just buy yourself a car that already comes stock with the kind of performance you're seeking - maybe something like a 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata MX5 that already has a turbo.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Go with what Curt said, then depending on the route, follow Dev's advice. A turbo setup isn't hard to install on the spyder, due to being able to take the rear of the car apart for plenty of access. If you're not comfortable with modifying your oil pan, you can buy a moroso, or I think MWR offers a modified stock one as well. That would also decrease overall install time.

As for emissions, like Curt said, research the actual govt. sites that regulate the emissions for your state. Do you have any friends that have a car that was originally N/A then went forced induction? Talk to them. Maybe even a reputable tuning shop in your area.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for now...

i started my research already, so far i feel like i should just put the bolt ons like intake, headers and down pipe...i can remove it for smog. CA strikes again... however a 2zz swap is starting to look like a better route... anybody know a shop that does this?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no...

all of those sound like a waste of money, if you intend to go 2zz. why buy stuff that won't be useable after your swap?
no not like that... what i meant was either i do bolt ons or just do a 2zz swap... i'd really love our cars more with just a little more power...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Follow the bold! :)

so... this year my next big thing for my car is either a supercharger kit or turbo or a 2zz.... my budget 5k to 6k at most.... (hopeing) I want to have atleast 200hp to 220hp. Does anyone here know where I can get the kits/parts/from? and or a shop that can do the install??? any help would be great... so far, I've contacted Jackson racing for the Rotrex supercharger..... my 1zz is bone stock. thanks!,Robert

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bugged some people here with that question. The answer is no because of added electronics. For example, silversprint mentioned: The OBD-II port needs to work. If you use a PowerFc you won't be able to connect it to the smog machine.

You modify your oil pan. If you email BLF they will give you the installation instructions with a lot of pictures.
That's not entirely true. If you can run the power fc and the factory ecu in parallel you should be ok. If you go piggy back you can use obd2 as well. I know of a few NA to turbo guys in ca that runs parallel systems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts