MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...2zz performance rebuild and swap information. My Google-fu doesn't seem to be what it use to be, because I can't find anything on rebuilding Toyota 2zz motors. Does something exist, and I'm just not looking in the right place?

Forums are great sources of information, but for me, nothing beats a good book for the DIYer. I can't even find a good complete series of videos on YouTube on the subject. Just bits and pieces.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,832 Posts
I will get you started: Toyota ZZ series engines. No room for error

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the ZZ motors really "throw-away" motors?

I guess with the cylinders being what they are (lining and thin) it's impossible to remanufacture a block, and from what I've read resleeving the cylinders is less than ideal and costly. But what about the rest of the internals? I'd like to build a 2ZZ motor from the bottom up in order to handle induction. Also the 2ZZ looks like it requires the least amount of modification to the car of any of the other swap options.

The 2GR would be awsome but requires heavier modification to the structure of the car. The AR motor seems to require less but still requires more modification to make it serviceable.

In any case, I wish someone would write a manual/book/guide on building a performance ZZ motor. I'm kind of a DIYer and enjoy building motors. I found one series that started off well, then the YouTuber gave up on the motor and went on to something else. I've not found even a good YouTube series on rebuilding one.

I'm an old school American and German car guy and have never really thought about Japanese cars. Is the Japanese car culture different from other car cultures? Do most of the Japanese car guys just pay for someone else to build their cars?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Your best bet might be to contact Monkey Wrench in metro Detroit, they've built up both the 1zz and 2zz for many years. DDPR in Texas is a second vendor.

You seem to have the facts right, the ZZ motors are the Achilles heel of the car. Most have considered the shortblock a consumable assembly to throw away after use. My opinion is if you're not happy with the 1/2zz, the Spyder is the wrong car for you unless you want a Frankenstein build. Why spend tons of money to make it more powerful or make it cruise on the highway better, that's not what it was built for. You can get a clean 15 year old Boxster S for the same price you'll spend on a lightly modified clean Spyder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your best bet might be to contact Monkey Wrench in metro Detroit, they've built up both the 1zz and 2zz for many years. DDPR in Texas is a second vendor.

You seem to have the facts right, the ZZ motors are the Achilles heel of the car. Most have considered the shortblock a consumable assembly to throw away after use. My opinion is if you're not happy with the 1/2zz, the Spyder is the wrong car for you unless you want a Frankenstein build. Why spend tons of money to make it more powerful or make it cruise on the highway better, that's not what it was built for. You can get a clean 15 year old Boxster S for the same price you'll spend on a lightly modified clean Spyder.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I've read in a few places where they described them as "throwaway" motors. Which considering Toyota's reputation for reliability and durability in other models I found the statement surprising.

Actually, I was considering the Cayman S when the MRS caught my eye. I may go back in that direction for a mid-engine street/hobby track car. It's really too bad Toyota didn't give the spyder just a little more get up and go. Nothing insane, just a little more oomph would have been niced.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,832 Posts
Do your homework on the Cayman too. The earlier models that are affordable have engine problems of their own and as with all German cars fixing them is very expensive. I considered going with a Cayman myself but after reading up, I decided to stay away. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do your homework on the Cayman too. The earlier models that are affordable have engine problems of their own and as with all German cars fixing them is very expensive. I considered going with a Cayman myself but after reading up, I decided to stay away. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
There are no perfect platforms. One thing I'm not a fan of with the Boxer and Cayman is engine access. It's workable but annoying to me. I like to be able to raise a hood and see my motor. With the Cayman, you can get an aftermarket glass cover and at least see your motor, but you still have to unbolt the thing to gain top access to it. There are some known problems with the motor.

It's possible to starve one bank of pistons of oil in high G turns, similar to what can happen in an unbaffled 2zz oil pan. Then on years before 2006, the IMS bearing is a concern. They have been known to catastrophically fail in the early model years. They can also have rear main oil seal problems. Oh, and then there's, of course, the higher cost of parts. However, you can gent 295 hp and 251 lb-ft right out of the box....for around $20k.

The 2ZZ motor even with all its failings is attractive. It's simple, and I like that. Yes, the short block is disposable. But with the right internals reliable induction is doable, with high output in a light mid-engine platform which makes it attractive.

With the hodgepodge of info on the internet, I think I have a good idea of what's required. Still, I'm an old guy, I like having a manual in my hands, or at least on my laptop.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Take a look over at Lotus Talk. I recall there was race based company who had a system to resleeve the 2zz. There are many postings related to 2zz rebuilds there as well.

On the web I found a copy of the Celica BGB with complete sections on the 2zz.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a look over at Lotus Talk. I recall there was race based company who had a system to resleeve the 2zz. There are many postings related to 2zz rebuilds there as well.

On the web I found a copy of the Celica BGB with complete sections on the 2zz.
Thanks do you have a link?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts