MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen some people use aftermarket tachometers with 2zz or high revving engines but I failed at my search besides what people use with their PowerFC on their laptop etc...

So what do most people do about the stock 8k tachometer and making all your power between 6k and 9k RPMs?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eh found more of what I needed, looks like only option is aftermarket or through the management. Can delete.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
I like the one I got from speedhut long ago because it looks the part.

Too bad I no longer look at the tach anymore.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
That is a nice one Dev. I was thinking about that the other day. I rarely ever look at the tach, but my OCD says I need one. Is that in place of the old one or over? 3 3/8 inch? I remember when you first got that.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
That is a nice one Dev. I was thinking about that the other day. I rarely ever look at the tach, but my OCD says I need one. Is that in place of the old one or over? 3 3/8 inch? I remember when you first got that.
triz the tach is 4" and it fits right over the the old one as long as you push it in the hole.

You have to see it in person as it looks fantastic aesthetically.

With the 2zz looking at the tach is pointless especially in the first few gears when you go into lift. Who looks at their tach and shifts anyway. LOL
I use my ears and tactile sense to shift with my eyes on the road and it's a lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've been emailing Speed Hut a GB gets 15% off.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Or you can use the "rice tachometer"... bounce it off the rev limiter, then shift...

waaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA A A A... aaaaaaa...

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Or you can use the "rice tachometer"... bounce it off the rev limiter, then shift...

waaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA A A A... aaaaaaa...
With a lower lift point you no longer need to rev the piss out of the motor to catch it back into lift.
That is why I set my rev limit lower the the factory ECU because you feel the torque start to fall off and then you shift again right smack into the power band.
I don't know about the track but as far as street driving goes my mid range is consistent and strong with the PFC.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dev! yeah that is the one I remember seeing, probably when you first installed, and couldn't find. I remember because it almost looks stock. Did you do a write up or anything? Pretty straight forward install? I will probably do a shift light for now and later upgrade but looks like that one has a shift light as well.

Any more pics? Link to some?

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Thanks Dev! yeah that is the one I remember seeing, probably when you first installed, and couldn't find. I remember because it almost looks stock. Did you do a write up or anything? Pretty straight forward install? I will probably do a shift light for now and later upgrade but looks like that one has a shift light as well.

Any more pics? Link to some?
I did a write up a long time ago. I don't know where it is at present off hand but I am sure you can find it.
I'm getting my new lens today so it's better time then any to test it out on taking new pics of the tach so I should have that for you this evening.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dev does the tach come with the chicken logo or is that some thing you added?

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Dev does the tach come with the chicken logo or is that some thing you added?
When ordering they have several options for logos. I talked to the owner and worked out a GB at the time and he was gracious enough to make the logo available.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When ordering they have several options for logos. I talked to the owner and worked out a GB at the time and he was gracious enough to make the logo available.
They fully customize it for you on their site, for $10 you can have any logo you want on there. It can only be 2 tone colors though.

Do you like that mismatch of the background colors? I see you went with the black but they come in white, Guess it probably wouldn't match anyway.
Was this the "in dash" mount http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Tachometer-auto_number-608.htm

Or deeper? http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Tachometer-auto_number-713.htm

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
They fully customize it for you on their site, for $10 you can have any logo you want on there. It can only be 2 tone colors though.

Do you like that mismatch of the background colors? I see you went with the black but they come in white, Guess it probably wouldn't match anyway.
If you look carefully at your gauges, they're actually silver and not white.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts

Was this the "in dash" mount http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Tachometer-auto_number-608.htm

Or deeper? http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Tachometer-auto_number-713.htm

The Black one is what I went with. The reason I went with black is because I was going to change all the other two gauges to black to match at least that was the plan. I never got around to it because I like to drive and not look at gauges.
I also did not use the bezel provided but instead used the screw ring that is used to mount the tach as a bezel and it looked so much better.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$145+ship right now cause they have a 15% off for March madness. I called they said they are backed up approx 2 weeks to get them shipped though w/ the rush of sales. Very reasonable for the quality gauge you are receiving.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I see how this might help and it definitely looks good but what about the turn signal lights!!

Doesn't it go over the turn signal arrow lights in the stock tacho.? I see people all the time forgetting to turn their signal lights off and I wouldn't want to be one of them! Plus this aftermarket tacho. will hide the flashing turn signal light and you may be prone to forget that you have it on!!

To each there own but when I modify my spyder, I always try to not lose any functionality the car came with.

Rasheed

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see how this might help and it definitely looks good but what about the turn signal lights!!

Doesn't it go over the turn signal arrow lights in the stock tacho.? I see people all the time forgetting to turn their signal lights off and I wouldn't want to be one of them! Plus this aftermarket tacho. will hide the flashing turn signal light and you may be prone to forget that you have it on!!

To each there own but when I modify my spyder, I always try to not lose any functionality the car came with.

Rasheed
Funniest thing I have heard yet. Good observation though. The signal does make a noise but my car is probably too loud for the turn signal noise to get to me at speed or with the radio on so that is a legitimate concern.

My main issue is going to know where my RPMs are when I am shifting my car past the stock 8,000 RPMs gauge. Other option I am weighing is just a shift light and then getting to know my car and to shift when it is time. If you have a 1zz then this tach is basically cosmetic only, I can't see any other reason for changing it.

I see you are 2zz so what do you do? You do realize your fretting over a darn turn signal right?

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Funniest thing I have heard yet. Good observation though. The signal does make a noise but my car is probably too loud for the turn signal noise to get to me at speed or with the radio on so that is a legitimate concern.

My main issue is going to know where my RPMs are when I am shifting my car past the stock 8,000 RPMs gauge. Other option I am weighing is just a shift light and then getting to know my car and to shift when it is time. If you have a 1zz then this tach is basically cosmetic only, I can't see any other reason for changing it.

I see you are 2zz so what do you do? You do realize your fretting over a darn turn signal right?
I have turn signals. It would be a bad thing not to have them and I look at those more then I do my ricey tach. What I did was connect two green LED bulbs with holders to the pins behind the gauge which are for the stock turn signals. I then mounted from above on either side of the other two gauge trim pieces and it works just fine.

If you look at the picture I posted above you can make out the green bulb holder in the idiot light/ water temp gauge hole.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts