MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a JDM 1zz swap into my 2004 Spyder. The new engine runs great but I have a high warm idle. When I first start it the idle is about 1100. After it's fully warmed up the idle is 18-1900. It will throw a P0505 code if it's a hot day. I have checked for and not found any vacuum leaks. The throttle cable does not seem too tight. I did loosen it a little by adjusting the nut but it did not change the idle. P0505 is for the idle air control system. We did clean the throttle body without removing it from the intake when we put it on the new engine. Maybe we got some gunk in the IAC? I'm thinking maybe my next step is remove the throttle body and clean the IAC. I have a spare IAC from the donor motor as well. Does this sound reasonable or is there anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Since you have a high idle issue and a IAC code, checking, cleaning or replacing the IAC is the first thing I would do. The rotary valve should be able to move freely. You will need the proper torx? bit and probably and impact driver (maybe a little heat instead) to loosen the four fasteners to access the actual valve. I have had an IAC go the other way, very low idle at cold start. The engine stalled and through misfire codes instead of an IAC code.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread. I’m having the same issues as well. But there’s no check engine code. Getting high idling after engine warm up.

May I know how did it go after cleaning the IAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Started similar post at about the same time. Cleaning my IAC lowered my idle from 1400 to 800 rpm when the engine warmed up and is stable.

Bought the car a year ago and assumed the 1400rpm was normal. The check engine light being stuck on nagged me to fix it.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
There are two "gaskets", O ring and screen I replaced when removing the throttle body. I removed the air tube, pinched the coolant lines then removed the throttle body. I don't remember the tool required to remove the IAC from the TB, I had to purchase it. The fasteners where on very firmly, I used an impact driver but heat might also work. After the IAC is dissembled I used carb cleaner to thoroughly clean the rotatory valve so that it moved freely. I didn't loose enough coolant to worry about on reassembly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
High idle fixed :) removed the throttle body, thoroughly cleaned it and swapped my IAC with the donor IAC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
mcmary
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing