MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust leak and a damaged cat monitor. I’m a little confused too, not that it matters, but is this two people who hit fences?

·
Registered
12 Posts
the driver a 73 year old man parked at my house on a rural paved drive way, he lost control of the brakes thinking I dont know what, and yes I dove into the open convertible and drive it backwards whild hanging half way out, down a hill turns and all. at the bottom of the drive way is a gate that he smashed into, beyond that is a river enbankment and a 90 turn. I turned the wheel and coasted to safety.

Ok now that that is out of the way.....we thought the muffler had impacted.

~However~

The spark plugs are black and several coil packs look bad. His MR2 is still at my house because it wont drive. I have parts today and ill figure it out one trick at a time.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
@nelix - lol, what a bizarre story. For a while, I thought it was fake.
It doesn’t sound like it’s the car’s fault but a case of neglected maintenance and possibly, dementia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Again... no one has any idea what the damage is. How can we possibly guess here??

The only sensor in the exhaust is the O2 sensor and you can unplug all three and idle fine. Unplug them if they're hanging out. But again, we can't tell if they're damaged because no pics.
Follow the wire harness back from the sensors and when you find a connector unplug it. No need to remove the sensors. Might have to remove the rear bumper cover but you need to do this anyway to assess the damage.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
the driver a 73 year old man parked at my house on a rural paved drive way, he lost control of the brakes thinking I dont know what, and yes I dove into the open convertible and drive it backwards whild hanging half way out, down a hill turns and all. at the bottom of the drive way is a gate that he smashed into, beyond that is a river enbankment and a 90 turn. I turned the wheel and coasted to safety.

Ok now that that is out of the way.....we thought the muffler had impacted.

~However~

The spark plugs are black and several coil packs look bad. His MR2 is still at my house because it wont drive. I have parts today and ill figure it out one trick at a time.
Take it to a real mechanic. Let them determine what was damaged in the accident. Of course, you don't know if it ran well before the "incident"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remove the bumper, the "Flex" looking pipe (There two) I feel warm air coming from there.
We have a stethoscope now and are removing the manifold cover, little at a time
thanks to all who helped. Its just to weird that it was fine before the impact to the muffler tip.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A ruptured exhaust pipe is a possibility. That can disrupt the function of the O2 sensors. Also possible that the cat has disintegrated internally from the impact, and is now plugged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
is this car safe to drive to the mechanic 20 min away?
multiple cyll misfire and we thing the exhaust is screwed up.
mechanic said drive it over but watch it wont overheat...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts