MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem? engine died, turns over plenty fast enough to start but wont, scaned computer w/ no codes after checking all fuse boxes..nothing loose or blown that I could find. One thing though, my owners manual on my 04 shows a fuse box above the passenger front wheel area (tire that hit pothole) but unless it's located "under" the plastic cover I dont see one? checked the inertia switch, simple instructions to place key in lock or acc on ignition switch for five seconds then start engine.. that didnt work either.. any ideas?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is the car getting power? (when you turn the key on does your radio work ect) if not check your battery cables for loose connections. If you are getting power, but not cranking check your starter wires for any loose connections.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes car cranks plenty fast enough to start, all dash lights are on, clock redio etc.. really sounds like engine is fuel starved, cant hear fuel pump either, although never tried to listen for it.. was wondering if there's a switch somewhere to reset the inertia system?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes car cranks plenty fast enough to start, all dash lights are on, clock redio etc.. really sounds like engine is fuel starved, cant hear fuel pump either, although never tried to listen for it.. was wondering if there's a switch somewhere to reset the inertia system?
not that I'm aware of. I have caused the car to shut off due to violently spinning out on an autox course, but it only took 5-10 seconds for it to reset it's self. I'm stumped now, but I'll ask my husband if he has any ideas on the matter.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I'm not aware of any inerta switch.. never herd of it mentioned before on a Toyota..

Does the Red Security Lite on the A/C Control Knob flash when the Key is Out?? ( Y/N )

Then when the Key is Inserted does it Stop Flashing ( Y/N )..

If the First Answer is No.. then the ECU is Not Powered up..
If the First is Yes.. and Second is No, then the Immob has a Problem..

If Yes and Yes.. Then Fuel Pump.. or Crank Sensor..

Can you read RPM from the OBD2 During Cranking?.. if so then the Crank Sensor is Reading.. and Fuel Pump or Other Problem..

Inerta Switch?.. Never even seen a Wire labeled for such a thing..

Cap

·
Registered
73 Posts
Several cars I've owned in the past and my current Ford Focus have a fuel pump cutoff switch that will accidentally trigger when you hit an exceptionally large bump or pothole (it's designed to cut fuel and hopefully prevent a fire during an accident, rollover, etc). I don't have a manual to know whether or not the MR2 has one, but if you have a manual that would be the first place I would look. On my other cars it was usually somewhere inside the passenger side footwell or the trunk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Cap & Izaf,
deff fuel related, still messing with it, pulled the breather and it runs on carb cleaner, my 04 does have a safety fuel shutoff switch, manual says easily how to reset it but since it's not resetting, I'm trying now to locate the switch on the car and really have no idea what I'm looking for. As for the fuel pump going south when I hit a pothole, yes stranger things have happened, but for now going to see if I can find the actual sensor and inspect for loose wires or unpluged? anybody out there know where this sensor is located at?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Usually under the hood of the Cars I checked.. is the Reseting Instructions..

Fuel pump is located in the Gas tank.. and the Relay that Drives it is located on the Firewall.. ( In the Engine Compartment )

The ECU of the Engine does not have any Impact Switch stuff in it.. so it must be somewhere between the Relay, and the Fuel Tank..

Cap

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
[quote=

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it runs on carb cleaner (or starting fluid/either) it is fuel delivery problem. Not being a smart ass but is it out of gas? if not check power going to fuel pump on top of tank, behind passanger seat, in cubby, under plastics, under circular metal cover.

Grumpy, on the passanger side? cuz I did take apart driver's side cubby, found relays and such for the SMT, and what I thought was the fuel pump power wires, ones Blue/white other's black, it does have power there when ignition is switched on, unplugged it to make sure it wasnt the sending unit power, and gas gauge still worked, seen no circular metal cover, just two wires going thru a rubber gromet.. in what I thought was the body housing for the gas tank..? Going to take apart the passanger side tomorrow unless I hear back from you, did lots of search on the internet for wire color codes to fuel pump, found nada..

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
[QUOTEpoi

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
In the same box with the EFI Main Relay is the Circuit Opening Relay. The BGB doesn't tell what its function is, but seeing as it's listed right after the EFI Main Relay and its name is suspicious, I'd look at it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Passengers side in a left-handed drive Spyder in the US.

There is a 1 1/2 inch dia cone shaped rubber grommet on a 4 inch diameter metal cover that is glued/epoxiied/adhesive onto the fuel tank. Under the cover is the fuel tank and access to the fuel pump. I have replaced the fuel pump before and used some kind of adheive that allows me to pull it off again. Don't remember what I used, or what Toyota used originally but it looked and felt like tar. Something to seal it from moisture leaking and still pull off or cut with a blade or even screwdriver.

There are 3-4 wires going into the rubber grommet cone.

Thanks, that was music to my ears knowing I dont have to find a rack and drop a tank to get to the fuel pump. might have some more questions for you if thr problem isnt obvisous, not sure how safe it would be to jumper a hot wire to a fuel tank?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts