MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed some hood pins on my VIS CF hood and they work awesome – no hood flex at all at highway (+) speeds.

The pins I used are Quik-Latch, Black anodized, 1.5”, model # QL-25-SB1.5.

Here is the link to the latches -> https://www.quik-latch.com/black-anodized-mini-quik-latch.html .

QL-25-SB1.5_8e13a29b-2abb-4a5e-821d-462bc9e245dd_550x825.jpg

Hole size through the top of the hood is ¾” and about 1” on the underside to accommodate the nut.

WP_20190417_11_57_09_Pro.jpg

Pins were installed using existing sheet metal holes that were slightly enlarged to install a ¼”x20 rivnut. The angle of the sheet metal where the rivnut is installed closely matches the slope of the hood which allows the pins to latch/unlatch perfectly.

WP_20190417_11_59_44_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a Seibon hood and wondered if the mini would be enough to hold. Looks good & much easier install than aerocatch.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Each mini is rated for 150 lbs of holding force, so between the OEM center latch, and the mini's on both corners, the hood is held down very tight.

·
1,819 Posts
that looks very slick... i always hated hood pins since they were usually bulky and stuck out like a sore thumb...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks, I like the low profile look as well.
After seeing yours I ordered the same hood pins. I get my hood this Friday and it's hard to think one of the first things I'm going to do is punch 2 holes into it. do you have any tips on mounting the hood or is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After seeing yours I ordered the same hood pins. I get my hood this Friday and it's hard to think one of the first things I'm going to do is punch 2 holes into it. do you have any tips on mounting the hood or is it pretty straight forward?
I laid out a bunch of mounting options and finally settled on using 1/4-20 rivnuts in existing holes that had to be enlarged slightly for proper fit.

The place I picked matched the slope of the hood that I have best, but your hood may be sloped slightly different, so you might have a better mounting spot.

Here is a picture showing the studs mounted in the lower left/right. Oh, and the AC condenser is right behind there so be very careful or loosen and slide back so you don't drill into it.
WP_20190717_10_47_52_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I laid out a bunch of mounting options and finally settled on using 1/4-20 rivnuts in existing holes that had to be enlarged slightly for proper fit.

The place I picked matched the slope of the hood that I have best, but your hood may be sloped slightly different, so you might have a better mounting spot.

Here is a picture showing the studs mounted in the lower left/right. Oh, and the AC condenser is right behind there so be very careful or loosen and slide back so you don't drill into it.
View attachment 73199
That's exactly where I put mine, check out the photos of it installed https://photos.app.goo.gl/HnkV7Lkb26bnfbQSA

between the hood, removing the strut tower brace and amplifiers the old owner had under the seat not connected to anything I dropped 40 lbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Danimal
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing