MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

so i have been thinking about upgrading my rear brackes for a wile now,
for now i have a stopteck 4piston kit with a 328x28 mm disc, for the rear i have EBC groove disc and yellowstuff pads.

the balance is great and i personaly like the setup, but now when i have a k20 in the bay, the Mot here in sweden don't let me register the car for streetuse if i don't have bigger brakes than stock in the rear also,

I have been thinking about building a bbk myself for the rear by using parts from stoptech and have a 2 caliper setup, But it is hard to find out a good way to safely mount the E brake caliper.

so i was thinking about maybe I could use the old rear caliper and build a bracket/spacers so i can use a bigger disc? this way i will have a e-brake with one caliper setup and a bigger disc so the car will be ok when i register.

So i wonder, does anybody know how big disc and thickness the Oem rear caliper can swallow?
I have also been thinking about using a caliper from another car supra/celica or other brand, or if anybody know if there are any aftermarket rearcalipers with E brake funktion?

Thanks for any help!

/Robert,

·
Registered
553 Posts
I meant to include the reference to the MK2. But if all he did was make an extension bracket and find a larger rotor, and use the stock caliper which retained the ebrake. I can't see why the concept can't be applied here.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I know wolfkatz. If there is interest I can ask him. However I doubt there is enough interest for him to make one and keep the price managable.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
intetrested but i think i can build the kit myself with no problems, the only thing is i need to know how big disc i can use? or is there som good way so this can be calculated?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well I kind of gave you a starting point. Find the size of the stock MK2 rotor and caliper. Compare them to the Spyder. See how big wolfcatz went. And do a little bit of math. It should give you a good place to start.

Bored at work. Here you go.

MK2:

-Wolfkatz rear is 324mm w/ 22mm thickness
-91-92 rear is 262mm 93+ is 280mm

MK3

-Dia. 263mm
-Height 41.2mm
-Nom Thick 16mm
-Hug Reg 55mm
-Bolt size 14.5mm

Calipers for both look very very very similiar. From what I can tell they might even be the same. Don't quote me on this though. All i did was examine the caliper pictures found on Google. I did not and do not have both calipers in person. Not sure what the stock Toyota parts numbers are as well. But overall looks like the sizes match up so it might be safe to assume that it is ok to fit 324mm rotors on the rear of the Spyder, pending that they fit your wheels.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I kind of gave you a starting point. Find the size of the stock MK2 rotor and caliper. Compare them to the Spyder. See how big wolfcatz went. And do a little bit of math. It should give you a good place to start.

Bored at work. Here you go.

MK2:

-Wolfkatz rear is 324mm w/ 22mm thickness
-91-92 rear is 262mm 93+ is 280mm

MK3

-Dia. 263mm
-Height 41.2mm
-Nom Thick 16mm
-Hug Reg 55mm
-Bolt size 14.5mm

Calipers for both look very very very similiar. From what I can tell they might even be the same. Don't quote me on this though. All i did was examine the caliper pictures found on Google. I did not and do not have both calipers in person. Not sure what the stock Toyota parts numbers are as well. But overall looks like the sizes match up so it might be safe to assume that it is ok to fit 324mm rotors on the rear of the Spyder, pending that they fit your wheels.
Hmm... Thanks for all the info!
and when i was reading it all i started to remember that the EBC yellowstuff pads that i have in the rear are the same that they sell for the MkII so it should be the same caliper !
i will look in to this and if so maybe the spacer will fit also ?

so again. Thanks :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would assume so if they are direct replacement parts. But they might have different brackets or attachment points. So they use the same pistons etc but have a different bracket.
true true! i will look in to this and let you all know :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the only consern i have is if the standard caliper wil use a disc that is 16mm thick and it is pretty tight with new pads, then i wonder it might be real hard to fit a 22mm disc? if not sanding the pads a little?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.