MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am working on getting a Spyder to autocross, and was figuring I would run 225/45 15 Hankook tires on all four. Thing is I won't have a trailer or any way to get the tires to the venue other than putting them in/on/about the car. I read one person's account of successfully putting one tire in the frunk and three in the passenger seat, which sounds like a plan to me.

Will a 225/45 15 fit in the frunk? If not I guess I'll have to go with 205 on the front as that was the size he said that fit.

thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C stock class so 15x6 front and 15x6.5 rear.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That size wheel should fit in the frunk. I believe I put a 15X8 with a 205-50-15 in there no problem. The only way I could transport 4 wheels safely (IMHO) was to remove the passenger seat and stack 3 there and 1 in the frunk. The stack of three was still almost shoulder high while sitting in the car. I couldn't get one of the wheels to fit vertically in front of the stack where the seat was. Good luck, hope you figure something out!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm, that is disheartening to hear. I would hate to buy 4 wheels and tires and have no way to get them to the autocross. Since I would be running in stock class leaving the passenger seat at home wouldn't be an option.

The person that said they had done it put one of the wheels (205/50-15) on the floor in front of the passenger seat, and two on the passenger seat itself (225/45-50-15). Does that seem at all do-able? Anyone done this particular feat and care to pipe in with tales of success?

thanks!

GM

·
Registered
344 Posts
A luggage rack over the engine compartment should fit three tires just fine; I did that when I bought my snow tires and wheels. Be sure to tie them down securely, don't drive too hard on your way there, and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
when I was running stock class with hoosier A6's in 225-45-15 front, 205-45-16 rear (yeah, I know...) I was able to fit everything I needed to go racing in the car with the top up or down. I am positive only one of the front or rear fit in the frunk. I'm not sure, but I think the 225-50-15 fit (even though it was a hair wider), but the 205-45-16 (which measured taller and wider than the size would indicate (I was running it for the lower gearing and less understeer compared to the bigger options)) did not fit because it was too tall and the hood wouldn't latch. I know I fit 3 on the passenger's seat, and broke the armrest (got a new one and then remembered to always remove it before packing the car.)

My 13x9 tires measure about 9.75 wide, and they fit in the frunk as long as I deflate that one a bit....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You can always tie the frunk down...its only twice as crazy as doing the same to a trunk, but I wouldn't blame you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The only way I could transport 4 wheels safely (IMHO) was to remove the passenger seat and stack 3 there and 1 in the frunk. The stack of three was still almost shoulder high while sitting in the car. I couldn't get one of the wheels to fit vertically in front of the stack where the seat was. Good luck, hope you figure something out!
I forgot that I have a hard dog roll bar that limits the movement of my passenger seat, so you may be able to fit 3 wheels with the seat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All,

I am working on getting a Spyder to autocross, and was figuring I would run 225/45 15 Hankook tires on all four. Thing is I won't have a trailer or any way to get the tires to the venue other than putting them in/on/about the car. I read one person's account of successfully putting one tire in the frunk and three in the passenger seat, which sounds like a plan to me.

Will a 225/45 15 fit in the frunk? If not I guess I'll have to go with 205 on the front as that was the size he said that fit.

thanks,

Steve
If you can wait until sunday, I can test fit my 225/45/15 RS3 on 15X8 wheel and tell you if it fits.

Let me know!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I probably won't even buy a spyder till next week at the earliest, no way I'll be ordering autocross tires any sooner than a couple weeks from now, so if you get a chance to toss it in there and see if it fits, I would most appreciate it!

thanks,

GM

·
Registered
513 Posts
Done deal!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
lol, thanks

It's all true.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi,

I've tried it and it doens't fit. Not missing much tought.

Hope I helped a little!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

I've tried it and it doens't fit. Not missing much tought.

Hope I helped a little!
You did help. I have been on the fence between STR and CS and not being able to fit the tires I want in the frunk certainly sways things a bit more toward the STR side of the coin. In that class I can show up on the tires I'm going to race on :)

thanks a lot!

gm

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
You did help. I have been on the fence between STR and CS and not being able to fit the tires I want in the frunk certainly sways things a bit more toward the STR side of the coin. In that class I can show up on the tires I'm going to race on :)

thanks a lot!

gm
He test fit a 225-45-15 RS3 on a 15x8 wheel. The same size hoosier is a little wider tire, but on a much narrower wheel. I expect the stock class front hoosier will be a little narrower in total than the STR RS3. That doesn't prove anything one way or the other, but don't assume it can't be done from that data point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts